I finally got a replacement hatch for my Escape 19. I had trouble seeing things through the old one, and our chairs were really tight getting in and out.
I ordered the new hatch from Vision Manufacturing, which is a sister company of Sun-view Industries. Reace suggested I talk to them after I told him of my intentions. I had searched and found a couple places that quoted me prices of around $200 USD plus shipping. I got the one I used from Vision for $142 CDN shipping included.
The size of the new unit, based on the hole needed in the trailer wall is 30 1/2" x 10 1/2", whereas the existing one was 18" x 9". This is exactly twice the area. I tell you though, it seems like more. I have a great view of the contents, and way more room get stuff in and out.
It was a very easy project to do, and took me less than 2 hours to complete all the work. Well worth it in my mind.
Here are a some before and after shots of it closed.
And a couple open. Excuse the mess inside, I just pushed stuff out of the way to do the work. Cleaning it out is today's project.
As using it with the door opening up was a real pain, I decided to hinge it at the bottom. It easily clears the ground, so I am not too worried about damaging it.
I used clamps to hold the new door in place as I leveled it and marked for the cutout.
All marked and ready to cut. I would have like to have the hatch a little more to the rear, but I was bound to this location in order to include the cutout for the previous location for the exterior 110V receptacle.
The hatch cutout is now complete. I used a jigsaw for most of it, but needed the Dremmel tool for the top due to the proximity of the moulded part on the trailer side. I then used some sandpaper to take the sharpness off the edges. I also cut a new location for the receptacle.
I used a high quality clear marine adhesive to seal the flange to the trailer, and fastened it with a bunch of 3/16" rivets.