New power awning rain shed fix - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The fact the new style is stored inside it's own protection makes keeping it clean a lot easier. The old style was such a chore to keep clean. BTW, I do not treat my power awning any different than I did with the manual, judicious weather watching means putting it away in case of storms, no matter what type of awning you have.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Each awning type has it's advantages. I like our manual awning because I can leave it out in the rain, and even in moderate wind, with no issue. But, I also like the look of the case awning with no arms down the side of the trailer, and auto retract capabilities when it gets gusty.

I've yet to see what I'd call a perfect awning, regardless of the type.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We’ve owned and used both the manual and electric awnings. They each have their good points but I will happily take the electric every time if given the choice. It works well and is so easy to deploy that we use it far more often than we would with the manual. You just have to be mindful of its limitations, like any other piece of gear.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We’ve owned and used both the manual and electric awnings. They each have their good points but I will happily take the electric every time if given the choice. It works well and is so easy to deploy that we use it far more often than we would with the manual. You just have to be mindful of its limitations, like any other piece of gear.
Great assessment, Scott. Sums it up well for me too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #25

Who here has never run out in the middle of the night when the wind and rain suddenly came up rattling hard on the awning, to close it up? I certainly have a few times, and know many others who have too. Sure, you could take it in every night, but with the electric, either it will automatically retract or if needed you push a button inside where it is warm and cozy.

I have got into the habit of closing the awning half way at night, and it does great this way in the rain. It also handles more wind without retracting deployed this much, and should the wind get crazy, in she comes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I only had to run out in my tighty-whiteys once, getting drenched as I tried to remember the sequence for bringing in the awning. After that, I reef it in to half way or less and lean the lawn chairs against the trailer before bed.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Who here has never run out in the middle of the night when the wind and rain suddenly came up rattling hard on the awning, to close it up? I certainly have a few times, and know many others who have too.
Guilty as charged Jim, but only once. We were on Padre Island and stupid me, left the awning out without checking the weather forecast. An absolutely horrible thunderstorm hit in the middle of the night with high winds and torrential rains that lasted for hours. I got the awning in before the real heavy stuff hit, but I was still drenched.

Now, I just don't leave it out at night regardless of the forecast, so it's a non issue.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I'll admit we were worried when we read a lot of the threads last year on the powered awning. Not sure what has happened since then. We have had 2 manuals in the past, and both me and the wife feel we would not want to go back to manual after having our current power awning.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I'll admit we were worried when we read a lot of the threads last year on the powered awning. Not sure what has happened since then. We have had 2 manuals in the past, and both me and the wife feel we would not want to go back to manual after having our current power awning.
Much of the negative in the past has been speculative from folks that never owned one, not from those who have. It is normal human behaviour to resist change, and to be fair sometimes change is not always for the best.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have this movie playing in my mind.

My buddy tied his dog to his manual awning arm, on a 30' leash. Somebody yelled "SQUIRREL" or Riley just saw one. Came to an abrupt stop at the end of his leash, six inches from the squirrel.
My buddy spent the rest of the afternoon trying to take the bend out of the arm so that the awning could be retracted.
In my mind movie, I see the new awning automatically retracting with 30' of poly rope and a Brittany Spaniel hanging from the mechanism.
It's a movie with a moral.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Not a new idea...just a good one.
I have my telescoping painters pole ready and a tube to form a support. You can actually lift the awning up to take much of the rain load off the arms. Pole slides in the tube for storage. ABS tube has a hole to accept the pole. If I was to buy a tube I would make it as long as you can put it in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
B7530840-4FAD-408B-97B0-27F177D94089.jpg   B000629C-ABC1-4A9F-9E5D-BB98F60FA00E.jpg   674084B4-C785-42B7-A3A4-D5F8408C6BC4.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Who here has never run out in the middle of the night when the wind and rain suddenly came up rattling hard on the awning, to close it up?
I think I had to do it twice - slow learner...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Night streaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I think I had to do it twice - slow learner...
And was there the possibility of decent exposure involved? I usually just put on my jeans and pretend I am Alexander Putin.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And was there the possibility of decent exposure involved?
How about indecent?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Each awning type has it's advantages. I like our manual awning because I can leave it out in the rain, and even in moderate wind, with no issue. But, I also like the look of the case awning with no arms down the side of the trailer, and auto retract capabilities when it gets gusty.

I've yet to see what I'd call a perfect awning, regardless of the type.
I applaud ETI for offering options, thats a big reason many of us are drawn to Escapes..Options for personal preferences. I really like support arms on my awning, but I also like the sleek new style so I don't think I would change, but that is subject to change.

I've seen what I view closest to perfect in awnings. Leisure Vans puts them on their B+/C motorhomes. The lightweight telescoping arms roll up with the power awning so you get all/most of the advantages of the new style power awning, but on windy days can deploy the arms and latch them to the sides of the coach.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I’d be the beached white whale running out to fix it
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
What happens if the wind sensor closes the awning? Does the tube just fall to the ground or would it hang up in the awning closure and start another set of problems.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Brittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Have this movie playing in my mind.

My buddy tied his dog to his manual awning arm, on a 30' leash. Somebody yelled "SQUIRREL" or Riley just saw one. Came to an abrupt stop at the end of his leash, six inches from the squirrel.
My buddy spent the rest of the afternoon trying to take the bend out of the arm so that the awning could be retracted.
In my mind movie, I see the new awning automatically retracting with 30' of poly rope and a Brittany Spaniel hanging from the mechanism.
It's a movie with a moral.
The only place I tie Jake the French Brittany off is to a heavy duty picnic table. For 44 pounds that boy can pull. I try to keep him away from things that are mine unless I have a fencepost I need pulled. We generally put the awning away at night and put the lawn chairs in the tow vehicle. Boy Scouting with tents will teach you all you need to know about thunderstorms and straight line winds.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i put the awning in at night or sometimes leave it partway out. i store stuff under the nose of my 5.0 .
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote