New Refrigerator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
New Refrigerator

Is there ANY way to fit the new refrigerator Escape is selling into a 2015 Escape 21?
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not really, it is a door issue, the older style door is too small whereas the new style door is larger, which allows the different refrigerator to be installed.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yes I'm sure there is. It would involve caferful measurements. Find a fridge close to the door width and stock cabinet/fridge size. By removing the door and Cooling unit on the rear it should go in. Then you will have to reassemble fridge and modify the cabinet. That is the bigger issue being sure the cabinet can be modified to fit the fridge and still look good. Anyone with a classic style will be facing this issue someday.
The fridge escape is using now would be a good unit to look at, it is close to fitting thru the door as is.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I'm sure it would be a challenge, as Dave1 wrote. But having no options for replacement worries me.

I've had pretty good luck with the original refrigerator, but at times I'm right on the edge. Yesterday while driving in 86 degree temperatures, the refrigerator temperature rose to 41. Everything on the refrigerator was optimal, but 41 is not cool enough.

I'd be willing to pay if, as Dave1 suggested, a more efficient refrigerator could be disassembled, reassembled, and then fit into a modified space. The peace of mind would be worth it.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Capita removes the rear window in their trailers to get a new fridge in - their door is narrow as well.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't think it's practical to try. You'd have to disassemble the unit, as Dave mentions, and there would be some extensive mods to the cabinetry to make it fit.

Long term, should my RMD8555 ever go bad, I'll either have the cooling unit rebuilt (lots of companies do that) or I'll go with a compressor based fridge like a Novakool, by adding more solar and battery capacity, as Steve (hotfishtacos) has done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jeff,

If you are wanting to do it i 'd call escape and talk with Reace. Since they have the new fridge there and know your old fridge/ cabinet/ door size he should be able to answer most of your questions.
The rear window isn't an option, unfortunately it's smaller than the door opening.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Don't fix what ain't broke. Also, who says this new unit is all that much better? It is still an absorbtion refrig. and except for a few scant reports from those with them there is no clear evidence they are all that much better.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Refrigeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
Is there ANY way to fit the new refrigerator Escape is selling into a 2015 Escape 21?
While the new refrigerator now being installed will not fit through the door of an older Escape, we are not all that concerned. First, the current refrigerators are repairable, second it is not a given that they will fail, finally there is the option to install a smaller unit ( horrors) which could fit through the door. Go camping, don't worry about what may happen in the future and remember, there's always coolers and dry ice. 41 degrees for a few hours isn't the end of the world. Your nose knows. If it's spoiled, throw it out and open a can of SPAM!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I'm sure it would be a challenge, as Dave1 wrote. But having no options for replacement worries me.

I've had pretty good luck with the original refrigerator, but at times I'm right on the edge. Yesterday while driving in 86 degree temperatures, the refrigerator temperature rose to 41. Everything on the refrigerator was optimal, but 41 is not cool enough.

I'd be willing to pay if, as Dave1 suggested, a more efficient refrigerator could be disassembled, reassembled, and then fit into a modified space. The peace of mind would be worth it.
I believe what Dave is suggesting very possible . Also I have found a couple of Norcold's that would for sure fit without modifications .Fitting a different refrigerator , that is close, into your cabinet is nothing to be concerned about . We are no longer worried or concerned if it ever comes down to to having to change out our Dometic . Let's hope for the money we spent on these trailers we get a long life before we need to change . On previous RV's we have owned ,our Dometic's were over 20 + years and still going strong . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Capita removes the rear window in their trailers to get a new fridge in - their door is narrow as well.
Yep have seen that too . Pat
Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't think it's practical to try. You'd have to disassemble the unit, as Dave mentions, and there would be some extensive mods to the cabinetry to make it fit.

Long term, should my RMD8555 ever go bad, I'll either have the cooling unit rebuilt (lots of companies do that) or I'll go with a compressor based fridge like a Novakool, by adding more solar and battery capacity, as Steve (hotfishtacos) has done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Also more good idea's if ever needing to address fixing or changing out your refrigerator. The list is pretty long on solutions . Pat
Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Don't fix what ain't broke. Also, who says this new unit is all that much better? It is still an absorbtion refrig. and except for a few scant reports from those with them there is no clear evidence they are all that much better.
Our thoughts too Rossue . We are no longer concerned . Pat
Old 10-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Your 2015 is not working? Ours works including in Texas and Oklahoma heat. The claims about past refrigerators not working mostly apply to other earlier models although a couple have had problems recently. Ours and many others have been great.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote