New Shower Curtain - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Just curious why you felt the need to use a glue gun on the edge of your new curtain, Greg. (Which looks great, by the way.) Is it a fabric one? Mine isn't fabric and I just cut it in half and it's been fine.
Thanks, Laura. Yes, it is a fabric curtain so either had to sew or glue. Once we discovered the glue gun years ago, we got rid of the sewing end of things.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #22

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Thanks, Laura. Yes, it is a fabric curtain so either had to sew or glue. Once we discovered the glue gun years ago, we got rid of the sewing end of things.
Have you used the glue gun for any other Escape-related projects? Just wondering if it's worth purchasing before I head up to Chilliwack, as I remember that the glue gun was on someone's RV tool list. Thanks!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a glue gun at home and a huge box of glue sticks. I've had the trailer since 2008. It has never occurred to me to bring the glue gun next trip.
But, do you have a cheese slicer and a cork screw?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Have you used the glue gun for any other Escape-related projects? Just wondering if it's worth purchasing before I head up to Chilliwack, as I remember that the glue gun was on someone's RV tool list. Thanks!

We have a cordless glue gun that uses the same Ryobi 18V batteries (and 12V DC charger) as a number of other things we take camping/traveling (air inflator, vacuum, drill, lantern, spotlight, chainsaw, etc.). We don’t use the glue gun often, so I wouldn’t consider it a must-have for us, but it’s small and unobtrusive, and occasionally quite handy for either kid craft projects, or for trailer repair issues.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have a glue gun at home and a huge box of glue sticks. I've had the trailer since 2008. It has never occurred to me to bring the glue gun next trip.
I very rarely use my glue gun and have had it for a long, long time. I have used it as a temporary hold on a template or something, but would never use it on anything like my trailer. For fabric I guess it would not hurt, but would never bring it along myself. We each work in different ways though.

Now sharp knives and a corkscrew are essential items to bring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #26

Thanks, folks! I've already purchased every type of tape and tool suggested on this forum (if not already in my tool kit), so think I'll forego the glue gun now. Though I do like Ryobi's battery-operated hand tools, I don't have children and am not particularly gifted when it comes to crafts. Perhaps I can borrow a glue gun to put the finishing hem on whatever shower curtain I end up buying - after measuring the space in October. I really do hate plastic shower curtains that stick to the skin, but I think it's gonna be too cold to use my outdoor shower.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Thank you, gbaglo, for responding to this. You have just supplied the answer to Bertold Brecht's question regarding what happens to the hole when the cheese is gone. Of course, the hole remains to act as the holder for your cork screw! Schrodinger's cat has been purring the answer in our ears for years, we just haven't been listening!

Again, a hearty thank you!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Alas, Glenn, due to nasty food intolerances, the days of cheese and wine (though not of roses) have sadly slipped me by! That's gonna make meeting up with others doubly difficult, as food and alcohol are de rigueur at every rally, and I won't be able to join in. Y'all will just have to forgive me in advance.

That said, I George Johnson may have the right idea!

Old 09-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Thanks, folks! I've already purchased every type of tape and tool suggested on this forum (if not already in my tool kit), so think I'll forego the glue gun now. Though I do like Ryobi's battery-operated hand tools, I don't have children and am not particularly gifted when it comes to crafts. Perhaps I can borrow a glue gun to put the finishing hem on whatever shower curtain I end up buying - after measuring the space in October. I really do hate plastic shower curtains that stick to the skin, but I think it's gonna be too cold to use my outdoor shower.
Well, if you are heading to Big Bend in late November, or Quartzsite in December through February, you can borrow mine.

Yes, I carry far too many tools!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Well, if you are heading to Big Bend in late November, or Quartzsite in December through February, you can borrow mine.

Yes, I carry far too many tools!
Thanks for the offer, Jon. I now have far too many tools as well and am praying that, when they're needed, someone close by knows just how to use them.

Big Bend and Quartzsite are definitely on my list for this fall/winter, though, for the first time in my life, my schedule is loosely knit. (Isn't it great to have choices?) Much depends on how long it takes me to travel down the Pacific Coast Highway. Depending on the weather from October 17th onward, the first leg of my trip through Washington, Oregon, and upper California is likely to be much faster than I'd otherwise like, but I'm just not a fan of cold, wet days, much less driving them. If the sun's shining, the trip will take longer, as that's a part of the country I haven't yet visited and would like to explore. Whatever the case, I can't afford to take too long, as Sojourner has to be registered in Texas. I'll give you a shout out if I'm there in November, but if not, perhaps I'll see you at Quartzsite. (I frankly hope to have a new shower curtain in before then.)

Old 10-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Any inexpensive fabric shower curtain with the little sewn slots in the top (they look like button holes) will work with the little clips on the stock rail.

Just cut it down so it has the same number of holes as the stock vinyl curtain, and fold over and sew the cut edge.
Time to replace the original shower curtain. I liked it because you could shake dry the vinyl. I like the idea of a more attractive fabric shower curtain though. Don't you still need to use a liner with that? Or if you use one of those that claim to be water repellent, doesn't it still take a while to dry? We just got back from 3 moist weeks on the Oregon coast where wet things stayed wet. I don't want to introduce another element that won't dry in wet weather.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Time to replace the original shower curtain. I liked it because you could shake dry the vinyl. I like the idea of a more attractive fabric shower curtain though. Don't you still need to use a liner with that? Or if you use one of those that claim to be water repellent, doesn't it still take a while to dry? We just got back from 3 moist weeks on the Oregon coast where wet things stayed wet. I don't want to introduce another element that won't dry in wet weather.
In the dampness of Oregon or Washington, the fabric might take a long time to dry indeed. Works well for us down here with more arid climates.

We would not go back to the vinyl curtain though, because the fabric is easier to handle, easier to wash in a machine, and we hate the feel of the plastic on your skin when we bump up against it. Although it's fabric, it has no issue keeping the water in, although it does get soaked. We can shake it out when we're ready to squeegee down the shower walls though, and that helps.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In the dampness of Oregon or Washington, the fabric might take a long time to dry indeed. Works well for us down here with more arid climates.

We would not go back to the vinyl curtain though, because the fabric is easier to handle, easier to wash in a machine, and we hate the feel of the plastic on your skin when we bump up against it. Although it's fabric, it has no issue keeping the water in, although it does get soaked. We can shake it out when we're ready to squeegee down the shower walls though, and that helps.

And the fabric looks a lot better too! Maybe I will give that a try.

Also it looks to me like the door has a water protective coating on it. I sometimes wonder if I just need some kind of flip down shield at the bottom of the door to direct water into the shower instead of through the gap into the trailer. Then we wouldn’t need the shower curtain at all.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
And the fabric looks a lot better too! Maybe I will give that a try.

Also it looks to me like the door has a water protective coating on it. I sometimes wonder if I just need some kind of flip down shield at the bottom of the door to direct water into the shower instead of through the gap into the trailer. Then we wouldn’t need the shower curtain at all.
I'd be cautious about not using a curtain at all. The trim around the perimeter of the door and the door opening would be easy to damage with water.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #35
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I assumed we should have a plastic shower curtain. I would love to use a fabric as when it is cold, the plastic is stiff and gets in the way. I fold in in thirds and use a small bungee to keep it in the upper corner of the wet bath. Fabric would be so much nicer! Has anyone had issues using a fabric curtain when showering?
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
I assumed we should have a plastic shower curtain. I would love to use a fabric as when it is cold, the plastic is stiff and gets in the way. I fold in in thirds and use a small bungee to keep it in the upper corner of the wet bath. Fabric would be so much nicer! Has anyone had issues using a fabric curtain when showering?
All I can say is we swapped the plastic for a fabric one and would never go back.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No issues with ours, other then needing to make it longer.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We just a few weeks ago changed to a fabric curtain . Always wanted to give it a try and think it will be fine . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote