New Stove Install - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
When I was commenting about the extra heat and backsplash I was being generic. Should have written "side splash" perhaps. Just want every one to be safe.

Tom
Old 01-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
With a pot on the right smaller burner, the flame is quite close to the control knobs, so having that space between the stove and the bulkhead is needed for your hand, especially using the main burner control. So far, I have yet to use either burner on full and the simmer is 100% better than the stock cooktop.
Chris, thanks for the info. Love the custom work you have done on your 5.0. Some of the best I've seen. When studying your work I noticed how close you are with the stove to the divider (pic attached from your blog). I was going to try for that to have better alignment of the stove with the overhead range hood, but based on your observations I think I will stick with the stock location and just extend back and to the left towards the sink like Mesa and Rbryan4 have done.
Attached Thumbnails
sam_5760.jpg  
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #23

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Chris, thanks for the info. Love the custom work you have done on your 5.0. Some of the best I've seen. When studying your work I noticed how close you are with the stove to the divider (pic attached from your blog). I was going to try for that to have better alignment of the stove with the overhead range hood, but based on your observations I think I will stick with the stock location and just extend back and to the left towards the sink like Mesa and Rbryan4 have done.
when it is on, is there much heat conducted to the barrier between the knobs and the burner grates especially the right side burner?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #24

Trailer: pondering.....
so the Dickinson Stove Top is a Canadian product?
the standard stove top is a USA product?
if that is true then it seems the Dickinson would have several advantages over the standard stove top especially if it was offered as an Escape Option.
1. Canadian product locally available to Escape unlike USA product that needs to be imported to Canada for installation.
2. Escape could install at time of mfg to make sure cabinet and drawer dimensions, outlets and gas lines with right angle adapter were done correctly with no clearance issues.

Granted the actual stove top may cost more than the standard stove top, but accounting for the difference at build time (no duplicity cost for an unwanted stove top) and the fact it is a locally sourced product, it might decrease the actual cost difference if offered as an Escape option at build time...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Granted the actual stove top may cost more than the standard stove top, but accounting for the difference at build time (no duplicity cost for an unwanted stove top) and the fact it is a locally sourced product, it might decrease the actual cost difference if offered as an Escape option at build time...
The nice thing about options is there can be high priced ones that don't affect the base price of the trailer. Of course ETI would need to source and stock two stoves and there needs to be confirmation that both stoves work with their design (in all models) without undue hassle. There is a major retail price difference...stock two burner Atwood DV20 costs about $125 (in SS, cheaper in black or white) versus about $500 for the Dickinson. Depending on what ETI could get it for and their mark-up the option would still be a significant chunk of change.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
The other option (which I used) was to replace the 1/4” fitting on the stove with a street elbow fitting.
Mesa, can you share the exact fitting that you used? The Dickinson manual states it is 3/8" flare connector. I'd like to get a hold of the right one before starting my project. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
dickinson manual blurb.JPG  
Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We can’t give up the oven, been thinking about the Dickinson two burner Caribbean oven. Caribbean Two Burner Gas Stove - Dickinson Marine | Dickinson Marine

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
We can’t give up the oven, been thinking about the Dickinson two burner Caribbean oven. Caribbean Two Burner Gas Stove - Dickinson Marine | Dickinson Marine

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
That is one nice stove. I'm wondering if that is what Jim Bennett will have in his new 5.0. He indicated he sold his Dickinson stovetop as they decided on an oven, but didn't say which one.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
That is one nice stove. I'm wondering if that is what Jim Bennett will have in his new 5.0. He indicated he sold his Dickinson stovetop as they decided on an oven, but didn't say which one.
If I was a betting man...

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Mesa, can you share the exact fitting that you used? The Dickinson manual states it is 3/8" flare connector. I'd like to get a hold of the right one before starting my project. Thanks.
The 3/8 flare fitting reduces to a 1/4" male fitting. This then connects to another intermediate 1/4" male-female connector. So I replaced the intermediate connector with the 1/4" elbow and then reinstalled the 3/8" flare fitting. I was able to get the elbow from Lowes off the shelf, so it shouldn't be a big deal to wait and see what I'm talking about.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
The 3/8 flare fitting reduces to a 1/4" male fitting. This then connects to another intermediate 1/4" male-female connector. So I replaced the intermediate connector with the 1/4" elbow and then reinstalled the 3/8" flare fitting. I was able to get the elbow from Lowes off the shelf, so it shouldn't be a big deal to wait and see what I'm talking about.
Shawn very nice looking install, sorry for the thread drift. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the schnauzer
FAT BIKES are really FUN when it SNOWS.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I think I will stick with the stock location and just extend back and to the left towards the sink like Mesa and Rbryan4 have done.
It's kind of hard to tell from this photo, but the install location on mine is slightly different. I did move the right edge about 1" closer to the bulkhead than the stock cutout. I didn't want it so close that plumbing the gas line would be a problem, but enough to the right to increase the counter between the stove and sink.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #33

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
We can’t give up the oven, been thinking about the Dickinson two burner Caribbean oven.

Scott,

The optional oven ETI offers is quite nice and the burners are very adequate. Plus they have piezoelectric ignition (just the cooktop burners, the oven has a pilot light).

I don't have any experience with the standard cooktop, but I have the oven/cooktop in my current trailer. I like it a lot and it costs much less than the Dickinson. I wish they offered the cooktop comparable to the one on the oven without the oven. It's readily available but not offered by ETI.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Scott,

The optional oven ETI offers is quite nice and the burners are very adequate. Plus they have piezoelectric ignition (just the cooktop burners, the oven has a pilot light).

I don't have any experience with the standard cooktop, but I have the oven/cooktop in my current trailer. I like it a lot and it costs much less than the Dickinson. I wish they offered the cooktop comparable to the one on the oven without the oven. It's readily available but not offered by ETI.

Rich
Hey Rich, we currently do have the Escape supplied oven, which we do use a lot. Just looking down the road at possible upgrades. I really like the two burner stove/oven versus the three burner for additional counter space. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well, in a few weeks or so (more likely the so part), I will post photos of their Mediterranean Three Burner Gas Stove installed. All dimensions other than the depth are the same as the Caribbean. I argued for the two burner, and lost.....

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, in a few weeks or so (more likely the so part), I will post photos of their Mediterranean Three Burner Gas Stove installed. All dimensions other than the depth are the same as the Caribbean. I argued for the two burner, and lost.....

Oh well I was close, that’s why I only take $50.00 to lose when we go to Vegas. Keen to follow your install, I have been eyeballing these for a while. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Wow Jim, when you said you were going with the oven instead of the Dickinson cook top, I had no idea you were talking about a Dickinson oven. They're very nice - I saw one once on a yacht.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Well, RV's are often referred to as "Land Yachts."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow Jim, when you said you were going with the oven instead of the Dickinson cook top, I had no idea you were talking about a Dickinson oven. They're very nice - I saw one once on a yacht.
I picked it up during my last visit there in December. Reace was nice enough to store it for me to make my trailer pickup next week quicker, so I can get back on the road.

Lisa is very excited (which is good for me ). Both the burners and oven are piezoelectrically fired, and it has a flush mount wood top like your cooktop does.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
I picked it up during my last visit there in December. Reace was nice enough to store it for me to make my trailer pickup next week quicker, so I can get back on the road.

Lisa is very excited (which is good for me ). Both the burners and oven are piezoelectrically fired, and it has a flush mount wood top like your cooktop does.
Yes, they're basically the same as the cook top, with the oven below. And, from what I recall, the oven capacity is larger than the one offered by Escape. Question - is Reace just leaving a cutout for it, or is he installing it for you? I would assume you have to install it, no?