New Table for U Shaped Dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Trailer: none
New Table for U Shaped Dinette

We have been annoyed by the amount of space the table mounts and legs take in the u-shaped dinette of our 5.0 Classic. We have watched people's different options: techfan's scissor leg table, someone else recently posted using only 1 leg, TV tables, side mounted folding trays, etc.
So we offer another option: mounting the original table top (with slider) onto the base for a 'hospital style' bedside table. Just completed this morning. There is a little wobble in it but not bad. When in the further back position , weight at the back might tip it but we might work on a fix for that...some temporary way to secure the base to the floor.
We don't ever use the dinette area as a bed but could still do so by removing to bolts from the bottom of the table. We'll see how this works out next time we hit the road.
We used this table:
Amazon.com: Drive Medical Non Tilt Top Overbed Table, Silver Vein: Health & Personal Care
mostly because it was the least expensive with decent reviews.
The table can be raised up but it seems to be perfect in the lowest possible position.
Attached Thumbnails
New Table.jpg   Bottom of original table without old mounts.jpg   Remove top of bedside table.jpg   New table base on original table.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Great job!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Very clever!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Knowing that we really want a lounge, I will need to determine what the best width should be that could be permanently attached in the lower position and used as a place for sitting and dining or as a lounge. The typical width standard for the u shape is 15 inches. I think this is too narrow to lounge on. Many have been happy with 30 inches but I think this could be too wide to sit at. So my handy husband will be busy with a sheet of plywood cutting a few different sizes. I have been trying to reuse the Springfield but if I remove it I'll get a much clearer idea on alternative table sizes and can reposition it, again by playing with different scenarios once we determine the right back lounger size. Thanks for all the great ideas. That hospital table and snap 2 are both sounding pretty nifty. May have a Springfield available in Texas at a good price.
Over and Out!
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Nice. Wondering what you replaced the castors with. Also how do you secure it while traveling. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:48 PM   #6

Trailer: none
Securing the table to the floor.

Unfortunately, we no longer have the trailer and I don't have a photo showing how we secured the table to the trailer, but I can describe it.
We screwed in 2 metal brackets called footman's loops into the front of the little stepdown from the table floor to the trailer floor. Then we looped a piece of velcro strapping through each loop and wrapped it around each side of the horizontal base base bar. So two loops and 2 pieces of velcro strapping...on on each side of the center bar.
We did a similar thing at the back of the table to secure the vertical bar. We screwed the footman's loop into the back seat base, making sure to put it where it would catch the wood framing and not just the wood facing. Then ran the velco strapping through the loop and around the vertical bar to secure it to the seat base.
Hope that helps.
I'm attaching a photo of a footman's loop.
Attached Thumbnails
Footmans Loop.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote