New weekend project(s) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
New weekend project(s)

Weekend project #3 is a book/glasses/kleenex shelf for my side of the bed. #4 was a quick little shelf over the door.

The kitchen side of the bed has a bit more room for a shelf, so I got a little larger shelf than the one I built for my wife. It gets the kleenex box, and a magazine-rack-style place for a book.

The shelf over the door was inspired by Alf's 5.0. He took a piece of crown moulding and mounted it over the door. But his screen door is a little deeper than what I've got on the 19 (likely a result of newer door hardware on my 19), so that approach wouldn't work here. I added a 4" wide shelf, and put a 2" wide lip on it. Not sure what we'll store here, but it's a handy place for things that move in and out of the trailer regularly.

Both are made from ash.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1645.jpg   IMG_1647.jpg   IMG_1644.jpg  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That's beautiful ! and very handy !
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks great, Doug.

I was going to do the same (sans tissue holder), but found one in oak someone had posted here for $20 or so, and decided I already had way to many other things to do.

BTW, you know your head is at the wrong end, you do not face the door. That would drive me (and Sheldon on Big Bang Theory) crazy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Feng Shui....
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I think my feng shui is not looking too good. Our heads are on the door side, the bed does not allow air flow underneath and around it, and we have windows on three sides. Thank goodness the mirror isn't facing the bed.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

Another lovely shelf!

I am still trying to figure out how to put something for books on the adjacent side, i.e. the wall on the side of the fridge. Do you know of any reinforcement on the edges of that wall that a shelf could span across? Sometimes I can tell by knocking when something solid is behind the paneling, but I'm unsure on that one.

Lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #7

Lisa: all of the panels have reinforced edges. If your shelf spans right from edge to edge, you'll be safe. I'd better be careful here: all of the panels *I've checked*...

Besides, properly hung, even a hollow panel could support the weight of a small book shelf (say 2 shelves, 12" wide, not loaded with encyclopedias). If I was attaching a book shelf to a hollow panel, I'd do something that doesn't depend on the threads of a screw. Something as simple as peg board hooks should work fine.

r.e. which side of the bed: that's the side the reading lights came on.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

I just examined that wall (driver's side, between the fridge and the bed).

It does have internal reinforcements on both edges. There's also a reinforcement just below the overhead cabinets, in line with the thermostat.

If you wanted a shelf that wasn't the full width, and were happy putting it right under the overhead, you could attach it anywhere along the width, maybe 1" below the overhead.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Thanks so much Doug, for checking that. I sure wish I had your woodworking skills! My husband does, but he has no time this summer...so I'm trying to get creative with some pre-fabricated solutions and that wall has been stumping me!
thanks again,
lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Impressive workmanship Doug!
Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
the shelf over the door is a awesome idea, would be great for keys,wallets and dog leash type stuff. you should sugest that one to the factory .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

Great job Doug! I imagine once we start using our trailer we will need all kinds of storage spots for various items. Keep the ideas coming.

John
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
I imagine once we start using our trailer we will need all kinds of storage spots for various items.
Actually, I find that with the tremendous amount of storage space the 19 has, my biggest problem is remembering where I put things.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I would agree that there is alot of storage. I do find that keys wallet and such does not seem to have a great home, the shelf idea over the door seems like a great spot for these items
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #15

There's a fair bit of storage, no question. But it's not all in the right place, or the in the right configuration. The bedside shelves are a good example of this. The wife and I both wear glasses. In the stock trailer, where do we put them when we sleep?

This activity isn't so much about adding *more* storage, but about adding *the right* storage.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
the shelf over the door is a awesome idea, would be great for keys,wallets and dog leash type stuff. you should sugest that one to the factory .
Hi: dave macrae... Someone already asked Reace to do an "Alf Shelf" and I think it's one idea he would rather leave to the individual owners to complete.
As dbailey mentioned the new style door frames are not as deep so an extra piece is needed for depth. For those owners taller than me, the addition of a yellow rubber ducky might be a good idea too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
3$ Mod. before.jpg   3$ Mod after.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
This activity isn't so much about adding *more* storage, but about adding *the right* storage.
Sorry Doug, I am not sold on this justification of why you are doing these projects. It really is because you just like to play and create, right?

It's okay, I really do understand, and like your ideas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #18

Well, yeah; of course. I think I said that (or something similar) to Donna in the first thread. From a pure economics point of view, these additions are stupidly expensive in terms of time for the little functionality benefit that comes from them.

But in addition to the bit of extra storage, I get:
- a bit of myself invested in the trailer
- a bit of customization to the way we use the trailer
- a conversation starter
- time spent designing
- time spent in the work shop

Most people would agree that personal touches make our possessions more enjoyable. And when you're an introvert, something to talk about never hurts, 'cause talking just doesn't come naturally to some of us. But those last two points are the big ones, and they're something that not everybody would "get".

I love the act of designing. Give me a problem to solve and a set of constraints to work with and I can spend endless hours working out solutions on paper. Great fun!

And time in my work shop is something I love too. I'm very much a dilettante when it comes to my hobbies. Over the years I've tried dozens of different things. But woodworking is the one that's stuck. Yeah, I go through phases where I might go a month or two where my work bench is just a horizontal surface for stacking things, but I keep coming back to it.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
But those last two points are the big ones, and they're something that not everybody would "get".
I totally get it. I especially like designing something with awkward parameters, and getting it to work good.