Newest WeBoost Cellular Amp - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
The coax connection was replaced with a SMA female to SMA female bulkhead connector, with washers on both sides. Also needed to shave excess plastic on both sides, to reduce the panel thickness and allow enough threads on both sides.
Do you know the impedance of the WeBoost's cable? So one gets the correct connectors for the thru hull panel? Or is that even important?
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 21
Please ignore prior question.
Found what I needed.
CWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #43

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I also have a WeBoost amplifier system that I was using just last week while camping in the Lee Vining, CA area. It is an amazing system when you have weak and/or marginal signals. Like Gary, I use a painter's extension pole to get my antenna up high but mine is mounted in a steel pipe in the front of the trailer on one of my Equalizer WDH mounts. Here are screen shots from my phone's signal strength before and after I turned on the booster.

Before Boost

After Boost

Pretty impressive!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #44

Here are a few more pictures of my setup.

Antenna mounted on extension pole

Antenna Pole mounted on Equalizer WDH

Old 10-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
And what did you use for the 12v switch? I’m not very electrically inclined but I can follow directions with enough guidance. [emoji4]
I just ordered single-pole lighted switch from Amazon. the Daystar Universal Rocker Switch with Blue Light.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for the photos, and especially for the idea of using a PVC pipe clamped to the spare tire carrier to hold a temporary antenna mast. It's an obvious solution that I just didn't think of.

Do you mind telling us what data plan you have? I also use a hotspot but it has a 20 GB / month cap, and I would rapidly run out of data if I were to stream movies with it. I haven't been keeping up with data plans so I don't know what is available now. Thanks.
I have the Verizon pre-paid 16 GB per month plan, at $45 per month.

We watch 3-4 movies a week, and so far it looks like 16 GB will be enough. If I need more data, I can just buy more in 3 GB increments.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
I just ordered single-pole lighted switch from Amazon. the Daystar Universal Rocker Switch with Blue Light.

Thanks!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Do you know the impedance of the WeBoost's cable? So one gets the correct connectors for the thru hull panel? Or is that even important?
I did not see impedance as a parameter when I ordered the connectors on Amazon, so I didn't worry about it. I think I remember seeing that the cable impedance was 50 ohms, but my memory is not always reliable.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I did not see impedance as a parameter when I ordered the connectors on Amazon, so I didn't worry about it. I think I remember seeing that the cable impedance was 50 ohms, but my memory is not always reliable.
It depends on the antenna/amplifier combination. I've seen both 50 ohm & 75 ohm systems, 50 ohms most common, particularly for older designed systems. I'd check with Wilson or, if another brand, the manufacturer.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Here are a few more pictures of my setup.

Antenna mounted on extension pole

Antenna Pole mounted on Equalizer WDH

What type of antenna is that? Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
What type of antenna is that? Thanks.
It is the magnetic vehicle antenna that came with the booster. I tried some others but this one performs best. I mounted an upside down cake pan on the top of the mast to provide a ground plane. It works really well.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 17
at signalbooster.com.......anyone know a cheaper 200 dollar range booster that works good instead of the 500 dollar one the OP posted? Thanks
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
at signalbooster.com.......anyone know a cheaper 200 dollar range booster that works good instead of the 500 dollar one the OP posted? Thanks
The WeBoost Driver Sleek is a cradle type booster that sells for $199.99. It requires that you place your phone or hot spot in/on the booster, ie you can't wander around the trailer boosting the signal as you can with the dual antenna types.

That said, they work. I use one when I need an amplifier, although it is an older version made when they were called Wilson Sleeks.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The difference though is the new amp has a metal casing with cooling fins. This allows them to crank up the gain as much as possible.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #55

Trailer: 17
Good weboost reach review here https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gui...ter-intensive/
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #56

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The WeBoost Driver Sleek is a cradle type booster that sells for $199.99. It requires that you place your phone or hot spot in/on the booster, ie you can't wander around the trailer boosting the signal as you can with the dual antenna types.

That said, they work. I use one when I need an amplifier, although it is an older version made when they were called Wilson Sleeks.
I was reviewing that one on the Wilson website and guess I was looking so long that they threw a popup with a $20 discount code "vehicle20" at me, plus free shipping, so I just ordered one for my hotspot. A lot of times sitting in our Scamp the foil blocks our phones from getting a signal, but I can usually stick my hotspot in a window and get a signal from that. Hoping having an antenna and booster for the hotspot will improve on just the bare hotspot sitting in the window.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #57

I received our Weboost Drive Sleek carrier yesterday and had a chance to do a quick test today.
I simply laid the mobile antenna on top of our fiberglass roofed camper for the test (would a metal ground plane be advantageous for a better signal?).
I got a good boost in signal with the WeBoost powered on, so it looks like this will help with the weak signals we previously got while inside our reflectix lined camper.

Looks like a 4 DB gain in RSSNR, and a 3 DB gain in RSRQ when powered up. RSRP improved 21 DBm which took it from the marginal area to the good area. I have no idea what all those DB measurements mean but from all appearances it looks like it's working well.
Attached Thumbnails
Weboost unpowered camper.jpg   Weboost powered camper.jpg  
Old 02-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 21'
RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power) The average power received from a single Reference signal and is typically 44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad)

RSRQ (Reference Signal Received Quality) Indicates quality of the received signal and is typically -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good)

Decibel (dB) a unit used to measure the power level of an electrical signal (or the intensity of a sound) by comparing it with a given level on a logarithmic scale.

Since you didn't know what these mean (and may still not know ), but yes, it made a difference. The cell phone towers talk to the phones and these are measures of the signal the phone is receiving.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I received our Weboost Drive Sleek carrier yesterday and had a chance to do a quick test today.
I simply laid the mobile antenna on top of our fiberglass roofed camper for the test (would a metal ground plane be advantageous for a better signal?).:
What kind of antenna are you using? If a mag-mount then there will be a significant difference. If using an OTR antenna it is not necessary.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What kind of antenna are you using? If a mag-mount then there will be a significant difference. If using an OTR antenna it is not necessary.
Thanks.
Yes, I'm using the tiny mag mount supplied with the WeBoost Sleek. If I get the OTR antenna, then it might be easier to leave the mag mount on my tow vehicle and buy the OTR antenna on Amazon and have that set up on a pole for my camper.
I noticed that "hotfishtacos" has his mounted on an upside down metal pie plate on a pole. Is that all I would need? I have a couple pizza pans laying around.