Newest WeBoost Cellular Amp - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Newest WeBoost Cellular Amp

Have used my Wilson(now WeBoost) 3W booster for 15 years and it has often made the difference between signal or not. Since 2014 the FCC capped cellular amps to 1 watt. Verizon is turning off 3G at the end of the year and lately have noticed in many remote areas just 1 bar of 4GLTE which also makes my amp obsolete as I cannot force my phone to 3G.

WeBoost just released their new DriveReach amp that has 29.5 dBm upload link (twice the upload specs as the Drive 4G-X and other amps)- which means you can be twice as far from the tower. With its metal casing(with cooling fins) they optimized it for running at near the full 1 Watt maximum now allowed vs. .66/Watt for the Drive 4G-X or similar amps with plastic cases.They also now have the OTR antenna, replacing the Trucker antenna and that also improves performance. I tested this at the campground in Montana de Oro and it worked well. C.G. is in a box canyon that makes signal almost nil.

Have always preferred not installing the antenna through roof and am glad I did not. I also looked at the Connect 65 RV with an amp with more gain, yet those are in- building amps modified for RV's and you need 25' vertical separation between inside/outside antenna which is why the kit comes with a 25' telescoping pole. Too much hassle for me. Devised a hybrid setup using the OTR antenna with two rubber tool holders and set it up when stationary. While travelling will stow it in a second tube like the one for the sewer hose.
Attached Thumbnails
20190802_184332.jpg   20190802_141610a.jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Thanks for the update. I have the RV65 with the pole. This gives me a nice upgrade option by just upgrading the amp.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
... I tested this at the campground in Montana de Oro and it worked well. C.G. is in a box canyon that makes signal almost nil...........
Ross,
That is amazing. We've always had to drive back up the road to where we're in sight of Morro Rock. Were you in the lower loop, or up the hill?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I need to stop reading these posts, LOL I ordered the weBoost Drive x RV Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit last week and now I'm second guessing that choice! ;-)
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Ross,
That is amazing. We've always had to drive back up the road to where we're in sight of Morro Rock. Were you in the lower loop, or up the hill?
Was all the way in the back Don. With Verizon there was one bar of 4GLTE, however could not load a webpage and doubt a call would have been good.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
I need to stop reading these posts, LOL I ordered the weBoost Drive x RV Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit last week and now I'm second guessing that choice! ;-)
That is what my bro-in-law also ordered primarily because he has a Class A and wanted a larger area inside for his devices to use. I tried telling him that doesn't do any good if you can't pull a signal in from outside.

Btw- Signalbooster.com is where I ordered from; they had it drop-shopped from WeBoost in Utah. Randy worked for many years at Wilson(used to work with him when I was in the biz) and is now in Texas. He will give you 10% off and no sales tax. Dont confuse him with SignalboosterS.com. When I asked why there are so many Wilson distributors in Texas he said they had a ton of business servicing the Oil Patch.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
That is what my bro-in-law also ordered primarily because he has a Class A and wanted a larger area inside for his devices to use. I tried telling him that doesn't do any good if you can't pull a signal in from outside.

Btw- Cellbooster.com is where I ordered from; they had it drop-shopped from WeBoost in Utah. Randy worked for many years at Wilson(used to work with him when I was in the biz) and is now in Texas. He will give you 10% off and no sales tax. Dont confuse him with CellboosterS.com. When I asked why there are so many Wilson distributors in Texas he said they had a ton of business servicing the Oil Patch.
Could you mean signalbooster.com? I checked cellbooster.com & it is a domain for lease...

There is a Randy listed at Signalbooster.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #8

Sorry- you are right- I edited my reference.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #9

Thanks. Now I need to decide on whether to cancel that order and do something else. ARGH!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. Now I need to decide on whether to cancel that order and do something else. ARGH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Could you mean signalbooster.com? I checked cellbooster.com & it is a domain for lease...

There is a Randy listed at Signalbooster.
Well, my order just got cancelled by Wilson after waiting over 2 weeks for the unit to ship. Backorder was all it said so I assume its not available any longer. Going with this new unit. THanks again for the post.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #11

The kit I bought totaled $494, including the OTR. Randy bundled the Drive Reach which come with a mini mag mount- with the OTR and an adapter. Thia amp has push on fittings for the inside and outside antenna. I first thought they sent the wrong adapter until I found another one in the box that fit. The order was placed on a Friday and the package shipped from Wilson and I had it Wednesday.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Any idea if this new amp/antenna is compatible with the new 5G that is in our future?

I want another system for travel and don't want to get one that will be obsolete in a year.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #13

Just spoke to WeBoost and they are testing this amp with 5G at this time. From what frequencies they are given the amp should work, however they are not stating that just yet.

I had just assumed(bad!) that it would not work, yet realistically 5G will take a few years to move beyond metro areas. Will take even longer to get to the boonies where we mostly need the help for signal.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That guy Randy gets around, is there not a Randy at Best Converter?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
So, is this what you purchased?
• Drive Reach Reception Amplifier Unit (470054)
• Wilson 4G OTR truck edition external antenna (304415)
• 4G Slim Low-Profile internal antenna (314419)
• Power Supply (850020)
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
• Power Supply (850020)
I needed a whole system so I went with the: weBoost Drive Reach RV Cell Phone Signal Booster (USA). I went this route to have more coverage in and around the RV. Just in case I want to use the phone while sitting in a lawn chair outside of the unit. ;-) The difference is that this package has a different internal antennae.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
• Power Supply (850020)
My amp is weBoost 304415, OTR is as you listed and also needed a 970030 SMB Plug to SMA Male adapter for the OTR to plug in. Really like the push-on plugs for the inside & outside antennas.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #18

Quote:
I needed a whole system so I went with the: weBoost Drive Reach RV Cell Phone Signal Booster (USA). I went this route to have more coverage in and around the RV. Just in case I want to use the phone while sitting in a lawn chair outside of the unit. ;-) The difference is that this package has a different internal antennae.
That is what my BIL bought for his 30' Class A for $680. His view: go big or go home
Old 08-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Devised a hybrid setup using the OTR antenna with two rubber tool holders and set it up when stationary.
Ross,
Can you say more about how you did this? Are the tool holders permanently attached to the trailer, and if so, how?

Also, does the antenna cable need to enter the trailer through a hole without interruption, or can you run it through a bulkhead connector?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Great info. I have just ordered my Escape 21, and planning on getting a booster system. It sounds like you've all added systems after market, but I am wondering if there is any pre-wiring that I should have the Escape do.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote