Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #181

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if the solars will impact the non white reflecting inability of the solar panels in dispersing the heat in the sun from inside??
OK, I'm going to try to decipher what you asked and then answer.. Continuing on what Brian said, there is air space under the panels but the big one in front is closest to the surface of the trailer...maybe 1 inch clearance. Although the panels will get hot it will probably be cooler inside the trailer since these provide some shade during the summer. However, solar panel performance degrades quickly when they get really hot so I will be watching that this summer.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #182

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I guess I just wonder if a plain white roof is cooler than one covered with solar panels absorbing heat/sun?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #183

Quote:
I guess I just wonder if a plain white roof is cooler than one covered with solar panels absorbing heat/sun?
According to this article the panels reduce inside temps during the summer and add to warming when it is colder. In fact, every article on the subject that I could find (lots of them) comes to the same conclusion regarding reducing the heating of the space below the panels.

http://blog.energysage.com/keeping-c...ool-your-roof/
Old 12-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #184

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
The Solar panels capture the incoming solar radiation energy. Some of that energy is re-radiated out the back, and thence onto the white surface of the roof; not a significant factor.
The rest of the heat gain at the roof under the solar panels is thermal energy transfer: just the difference in temperature between outside and inside.
So, the answer is: In sunny weather a plain white roof is NOT cooler than one covered with solar panels.
That being said, a gloss white roof is very efficient at reflecting solar energy; something on the order of 80-90%.
Reading assignment: ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals, chapter on Design Heat Transmission. ( Insert smilie of your choice here; I couldn't decide; it's not in my ref. library!)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #185

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
The Solar panels capture the incoming solar radiation energy...
Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Reading assignment: ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals, chapter on Design Heat Transmission. ( Insert smilie of your choice here; I couldn't decide; it's not in my ref. library!)
How about ? Ah, right, that's a book not yet made into a movie.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #186

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I didn't read it that way at all.
Yes I agree Karen, the roof mentioned in the article is probably asphalt ply which absorb heat vs a white reflective surface on our trailers which reflect heat. I agree, covering something that absorbs heat is beneficial, but something that reflects heat??
Old 12-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
How about ? Ah, right, that's a book not yet made into a movie.
About the closest it'll ever be would be an Army Corps of Engineers training film. I saw the beginning of one once, then had a nice nap for the rest.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #188

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I'm getting my 19' ready for camping for a 3 day trip to the beach at San Clemente, CA starting the day before Christmas and wanted to show you a side view of the 3 new adjustable solar panel mounts locked down for traveling.

curious, whos mount did u use. or is it your own make. did u use the existing eti panel mount screws or did you use own.
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #189

I bought the two adjustable mounts for the 95 watt panels here: Adjustable Solar Panel Mount Mounting Rack Bracket -- Boat, RV, Roof, Off-Grid and made the one for the 160 watt panel myself. All mounts are bonded to the roof with 3M 5200 fast cure adhesive, no screws.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #190

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
I would think that the solar panels, with a space between them and the outer shell of a trailer, would shade the trailer keeping is somewhat cooler.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I would think that the solar panels, with a space between them and the outer shell of a trailer, would shade the trailer keeping is somewhat cooler.
I agree.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #192
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I agree. You can put your hand on the trailer roof in full sun and it's pretty warm. Put it on the roof under the solar panel and because it's shaded it is much cooler.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #193

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Thanks for re-posting the solar panel photo, Ken. A great job!
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #194

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
So, a cooler trailer is another benefit of rooftop solar! Does anyone know how much solar panels affect wind resistance (and mileage) while towing? We have these nice streamlined trailers with streamlined accessories on top and then we attach angular brackets and wide panels guaranteed to increase drag. I certainly like my solar panel, but it would be nice to have a more aerodynamic rooftop.

-Dave
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
So, a cooler trailer is another benefit of rooftop solar! Does anyone know how much solar panels affect wind resistance (and mileage) while towing? We have these nice streamlined trailers with streamlined accessories on top and then we attach angular brackets and wide panels guaranteed to increase drag. I certainly like my solar panel, but it would be nice to have a more aerodynamic rooftop.

-Dave
Dave,
I had similar concerns regarding effect on mileage, so I'm planning on borrowing Ron's idea; I think it will help.

See: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ount-4951.html
Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #196

I haven't seen any difference in towing.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #197

Trailer: none
How is the Nova Kool working out?
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #198

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:

-Dave
Perhaps a portable solar panel is the answer for you.
I guess when you say you would like a more aerodynamic roof top you're saying your okay with the fantastic fan and the bathroom vent on the roof.
BTW the solar panel doesn't stick up as far as either of these (or an AC or TV antenna)
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #199

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:

-Dave
Hi Dave, can't be much additional resistance, they are only about 1.5"x60" in profile to the wind and most of that is behind the AC. I would think it'd be barely noticeable.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #200

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Wind drag has a big effect on mileage, but I suspect the air conditioner, Maxx Fan and roof vents probably already doom any additional streamlining possibilities with the trailer. What's another panel or two at this point? I lose 2 mpg just by leaving my Yakima racks/bars on the Tacoma's shell, without the trailer.