Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How's the sunlight for the solar? Only asking because we get a whole bunch of gray days here in Oregon (Pacific NorthWET).
Donna, the sun is a little low this time of year but it is clear and bright almost every day. However, I don't plan to camp in my driveway and really love the northern areas....so the new stuff I have must perform up to the Pouline Border and then some distance beyond that into the heavy gravy areas! Of course a good shower IN THE TRAILER is necessary afterwards. I work with a friend who owns a thriving solar business and he told me that on overcast days I will average 35 % of normal output from the panels here and I will get 25% when it is raining. Traveling North is a different story. I would like to have maybe 300% of the solar I need on a good day so I can go where I want and have plenty of sun-supplied power.
__________________

__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #112
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,564
Oh dear Lord no Steve! You did such a fine job installing the fridge -- don't hijack your own thread with Poutine and showers!....lol
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Oh dear Lord no Steve! You did such a fine job installing the fridge -- don't hijack your own thread with Poutine and showers!....lol
...no guarantees on my behavior...I just live too close to Lopoc where I am getting my questionable behavior from!!...
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
First bits of date are available now for the new refrigerator project. After it cooled down to set points and stabilized the first day I have the following 24 hour readings on the 12 volt supply line. When I first tested this refer on the bench over 24 hours in my 75 - 80 degrees F garage a few weeks ago I measured 84.6 total amps at a 75% duty cycle. Now, installed and outside in our 83 degree weather today, after 24 hours, it pulled 59.4 amps and ran for 12.22 hours, a 51% duty cycle. That heavily insulated cavity it is installed in may be helping isolate it from the heat. My goal was a 50% duty cycle so this is perfect. The rest of the numbers were: 741watt hours, 6.07 peak amps and 72.1 peak watts. The refer was running when I recorded the data and it was then pulling 4.5 amps and 59.6 watts. I plan to leave it running for several days and average the draw over time and watch how the ambient temperature affects the duty cycle and total draw.

My two installed 95 watt panels were shaded part of the day and contributed only 28 amp hours of battery charging. I need to move the trailer into a better location to get some real data on the panels...probably this long weekend.

Stay tuned!

Steve
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
First bits of date are available now for the new refrigerator project. After it cooled down to set points and stabilized the first day I have the following 24 hour readings on the 12 volt supply line. When I first tested this refer on the bench over 24 hours in my 75 - 80 degrees F garage a few weeks ago I measured 84.6 total amps at a 75% duty cycle. Now, installed and outside in our 83 degree weather today, after 24 hours, it pulled 59.4 amps and ran for 12.22 hours, a 51% duty cycle. That heavily insulated cavity it is installed in may be helping isolate it from the heat. My goal was a 50% duty cycle so this is perfect. The rest of the numbers were: 741watt hours, 6.07 peak amps and 72.1 peak watts. The refer was running when I recorded the data and it was then pulling 4.5 amps and 59.6 watts. I plan to leave it running for several days and average the draw over time and watch how the ambient temperature affects the duty cycle and total draw.

My two installed 95 watt panels were shaded part of the day and contributed only 28 amp hours of battery charging. I need to move the trailer into a better location to get some real data on the panels...probably this long weekend.

Stay tuned!

Steve
Great data and I'm sure it will show that a DC fridge with adequate solar is a very viable option.

Seems like you might have to put in a compensating factor though. As those nicely chilled bottles of wine disappear the data might be compromised

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
I made a very small adjustment yesterday to the refer setpoint from 4.5 to 4 because the temp in the refer was down too low to 28 F with the freezer at 7 while it was 83 degrees F outside again. As a result, over the last 24 hours, the refer duty cycle dropped from 51% to 46%, running just 11.07 hours out of 24 available and the total amps drawn moved down from 59.4 amp hrs to 50.4. All great! While running, the refer was pulling 4.5 amps or 56 watts.

Tomorrow starts my solar adventure where I will start prototyping adjustable mounts for my two 95 watt roof-mounted panels and Sunday I will throw a new 160 watt panel into the mix. I will be looking at the voltage output of each panel installed flat and tilted toward the sun and measuring the total output of the three panels running together. Stay tuned!

Steve
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Tomorrow starts my solar adventure where I will start prototyping adjustable mounts for my two 95 watt roof-mounted panels and Sunday I will throw a new 160 watt panel into the mix. I will be looking at the voltage output of each panel installed flat and tilted toward the sun and measuring the total output of the three panels running together. Stay tuned!
Steve
Hi Steve,
Have you heard the easy angle setting rule. Use the latitude of the place you are rounded up/down to the nearest whole number. Add 15 for winter and subtract 15 in the summer if you want to fine tune them by season.

It gives you a point of reference and if you are traveling it can help you to set them, or not, depending how far north/south you have traveled.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Hi Steve,
Have you heard the easy angle setting rule. Use the latitude of the place you are rounded up/down to the nearest whole number. Add 15 for winter and subtract 15 in the summer if you want to fine tune them by season.

It gives you a point of reference and if you are traveling it can help you to set them, or not, depending how far north/south you have traveled.

Mel
A very good rule of thumb and easy to remember.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Hi Steve,
Have you heard the easy angle setting rule. Use the latitude of the place you are rounded up/down to the nearest whole number. Add 15 for winter and subtract 15 in the summer if you want to fine tune them by season.

It gives you a point of reference and if you are traveling it can help you to set them, or not, depending how far north/south you have traveled.

Mel
Good rule of thumb! I am going to eventually do something simple like that.
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #120
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,816
Here's a link to a mount I saved off for future use, I like the way it'll go either direction.

Dual Tilt RV Solar Panel Mounts - Tilting Solar Module Angle Mounts - RV Solar Connection, llc - Denver, Colorado
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.