Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Well, what trailer? What fridge? Where did you go? What were the ambient temps?
Your profile has Trailer: None

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19
We have a 2013 Escape 19 with the Dometic RML 8551, 6.7 cu ft. refrigerator. Worked well on AC prior to trip & when I returned from the trip. No access to AC during the trip. Set up the trailer at my campsite & set to propane, could hear propane burning well, no error messages from fridge electric panel. Just wouldn't cool. Has been "marginal" on propane in the past but this time, I may as well have had the door open - it was colder outside than in the fridge!

TRF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19
My apologies in regard to not providing the details... I have not used a forum much in the past (obviously). Sorry, should have noted... ambient temps ranged from 8C-20C.
TRF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I am starting this thread to cover my installation of a new refrigerator in my Escape 19. I plan to remove my 4.3 cuft Dometic RM8551 and replace it with a 7.3 cuft Nova Kool RFU8320. The Dometic refrigerator is an evaporative unit that runs on 120 volts, propane and 12 vdc. The Nova Kool unit is a compressor refrigerator and the unit I ordered runs on 12 vdc only. I am doing this to increase the size of the refrigerator and freezer and to improve the cooling capacity of the refrigerator for hot weather camping. It will be an extremely tight fit in my trailer but I have the tools, initiative and experience to pull this off successfully.

This refrigerator was ordered from a firm in San Diego which is close to my residence and I received a call today that it has been delivered. I plan to pick it up on Friday. Since I have a one week camping trip scheduled for Nov. 10th, I won't start the installation until I get back. Meanwhile I will bench test the unit and learn the ins and outs before installation. Stay tuned!!
Golly, Nova Kool refrigerators are manufactured in Coquitlam B.C. Thats about an hour from the Escape factory. Looks like the unit you have selected runs in the $1500 - $1800 US price range retail. Wonder what the price difference (wholesale) vs the Dometic would be. Sure hope you get to test it well before spring.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF18 View Post
Just back from a 10 day trip in which my refrigerator was virtually useless. No cooling on propane, some cooling on DC. Had to throw away most of my food. I need a new fridge!! Can I assume the Nova Kool would run well on 2 6 volt batteries and a 95 watt solar panel?
No, don't assume anything. I have 2 panels and 4 batteries and I assume I have enough storage and charging capacity to run it. If not I will make provisions for more. We really won't know until next summer for hot weather camping since I plan to finish the installation during December.
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
My apologies in regard to not providing the details... I have not used a forum much in the past (obviously). Sorry, should have noted... ambient temps ranged from 8C-20C.
There should really be no reason why your fridge does not work over the range of ambient temperatures you report here. If this was not due to operator error (sorry to suggest that), then it seems quite likely that there is a problem with your fridge that is quite different from the "hot ambient temperature" issues experienced by others on this forum. I would suggest calling Dometic and arranging for them (or one of their authorized repair centres) to have a look at it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
And it would be great if your fridge is still under warranty and you would make a claim through an RV shop to Dometic. I keep suggesting that to folks, and everyone seems to prefer self-help solutions, meaning Dometic can remain blissfully ignorant of the problem. Ours is in the shop now for a second warranty visit, at Dometic's request. I'm sorry....this is probably off topic. There is a lot of discussion along these lines in another thread. Good luck with whatever direction you take.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
There should really be no reason why your fridge does not work over the range of ambient temperatures you report here. If this was not due to operator error (sorry to suggest that), then it seems quite likely that there is a problem with your fridge that is quite different from the "hot ambient temperature" issues experienced by others on this forum. I would suggest calling Dometic and arranging for them (or one of their authorized repair centres) to have a look at it.
Pretty much what I thought too. I don't think anyone reported problems at those temps, mostly in quite warm or hot climates.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Can't rule out human error. I realized that my wife was closing the fridge door, but not closing it ( it looked closed ). She wasn't pressing on the door to secure the latch. She was expecting it to close itself, like the one at home.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Just back from a 10 day trip in which my refrigerator was virtually useless. No cooling on propane, some cooling on DC. Had to throw away most of my food. I need a new fridge!! Can I assume the Nova Kool would run well on 2 6 volt batteries and a 95 watt solar panel?
According to the Nova Kool web site you'll use 125A a day (5.2x24). Using Vancouver BC for a location, an online calculator says you need 357 watts worth of panels. The 2 6v batteries will just manage.