Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
If this is a 2013 trailer should it not still be under warranty ? If so, would the logical step be to get it looked at diagnosed and repaired under warranty ? Jumping to the conclusion that a retro fit to another fridge that hasn't even been tested seems a bit harsh.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
According to the Nova Kool web site you'll use 125A a day (5.2x24). Using Vancouver BC for a location, an online calculator says you need 357 watts worth of panels. The 2 6v batteries will just manage.
This model shuts off when it reaches temperature then runs at about 50% duty cycle at normal ambient temps..longer when it gets hot. You must have it confused with another model..
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
If this is a 2013 trailer should it not still be under warranty ? If so, would the logical step be to get it looked at diagnosed and repaired under warranty ? Jumping to the conclusion that a retro fit to another fridge that hasn't even been tested seems a bit harsh.
It is a 2012 model and I'm sure you'll get over it!..
Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF18 View Post
We have a 2013 Escape 19 with the Dometic RML 8551, 6.7 cu ft. refrigerator. Worked well on AC prior to trip & when I returned from the trip. No access to AC during the trip. Set up the trailer at my campsite & set to propane, could hear propane burning well, no error messages from fridge electric panel. Just wouldn't cool. Has been "marginal" on propane in the past but this time, I may as well have had the door open - it was colder outside than in the fridge!
Sorry to not be clear . This was the post my response was to.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hopefully I'm wrong on the power usage, 125A would put it out of my reach. They make no mention of it shutting itself down, just to multiply their Amperage spec by 24. It's down by the bottom. It'll be interesting to see what your bench testing reveals, hoping for the best.

http://www.novakool.com/products/two...al2013_001.pdf
Old 11-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
They make no mention of it shutting itself down, just to multiply their Amperage spec by 24. It's down by the bottom...
What that page says at the bottom is this:
Quote:
*Note: The amperage listed is while the unit is running. To determine 24hr consumption calculate the run time for 24hrs and multiply
this by the listed amperage.
If the unit is running 50% of the time, then the "run time for 24hrs" is only 12 hours; multiply that by the "listed amperage" of 5.2A, and you get 62.4 amp-hours (Ah).

This part of the note at the bottom is misleading:
Quote:
Listed amperage will change with ambient temperature and unit door openings.
It should say that run time (not listed amperage) depends on conditions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Thank you, Brian!
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Hopefully I'm wrong on the power usage, 125A would put it out of my reach. They make no mention of it shutting itself down, just to multiply their Amperage spec by 24. It's down by the bottom. It'll be interesting to see what your bench testing reveals, hoping for the best.

"calculate the run time for 24hrs and multiply this by..." so not (<draw> x 24), but (<draw> x 24 x <duty cycle>). The duty cycle will depend on the amount of insulation, ambient temperature, how often you open the door, etc...

In a hypothetical fridge with perfect insulation (keeping perfectly spherical cow fragments cold), the compressor would run until the desired temperature was achieved and then shut off until somebody opened the door. The duty cycle is the percentage of the time that the compressor has to run to account for heat infiltration through the insulation.

(This is assuming that the compressor is either on or off. It's also possible to design a system that runs at different power levels, but the formula provided suggests this isn't the case for these fridges. Talking hypothetically, you might achieve a system that runs at exactly the right power level to compensate for heat coming through the insulation, and then kicks up the power to achieve the desired temperature after somebody opens the door.)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
(This is assuming that the compressor is either on or off. It's also possible to design a system that runs at different power levels, but the formula provided suggests this isn't the case for these fridges. Talking hypothetically, you might achieve a system that runs at exactly the right power level to compensate for heat coming through the insulation, and then kicks up the power to achieve the desired temperature after somebody opens the door.)
I agree. Refrigerators do not commonly have a variable speed compressor, but they do exist (including some from Danfoss, which supplies many of the mobile 12VDC refrigerator manufacturers). An on/off controller is cheaper.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. Refrigerators do not commonly have a variable speed compressor, but they do exist (including some from Danfoss, which supplies many of the mobile 12VDC refrigerator manufacturers). An on/off controller is cheaper.
An experienced refrigeration engineer told me today that the reason my compressor drew lower amps as the refer cooled is because the head pressure on the compressor is reduced when the unit isn't drawing as much heat from the refer. It was drawing around 4.2 amps just before it shut off. My compressor also has a resistor wired in series with the compressor motor and different values are used to change the RPM depending on the application.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #31

I now have some bench testing data from the Nova Kool refrigerator while hooked up to two 6 volt Interstate batteries in series while sitting on a work bench in my garage at between 75F and 80F ambient temp. I loaded the refer with a room temperature case of wine and the unit cooled it down in about 6 hours to 6 in the freezer and and 36 in the refer with the control knob set at 4, about half way. After the refer stabilized for about 24 hours I measured the amp draw over the next 24 hours. I measured 84.6 total amps at a 75% duty cycle. This was higher than I expected but will be very manageable with my system. I plan to go camping on Saturday then when I get back a week later I will move the refer outside next to my 19' and cable it to the batteries which are being replenished by two 95 watt solar panels on the roof. I plan to also turn on some other loads to try and simulate the real world while camping at this latitude. Stay tuned!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I now have some bench testing data from the Nova Kool refrigerator while hooked up to two 6 volt Interstate batteries in series while sitting on a work bench in my garage at between 75F and 80F ambient temp. I loaded the refer with a room temperature case of wine and the unit cooled it down in about 6 hours to 6 in the freezer and and 36 in the refer with the control knob set at 4, about half way. After the refer stabilized for about 24 hours I measured the amp draw over the next 24 hours. I measured 84.6 total amps at a 75% duty cycle. This was higher than I expected but will be very manageable with my system. I plan to go camping on Saturday then when I get back a week later I will move the refer outside next to my 19' and cable it to the batteries which are being replenished by two 95 watt solar panels on the roof. I plan to also turn on some other loads to try and simulate the real world while camping at this latitude. Stay tuned!
Steve, that draw and duty cycle does sound a bit higher than the earlier estimates, but I think you're right -- your setup can more than handle it. It'd probably work with a single 160w panel and dual 6v as well. Looking forward to your next result.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #33

Robert, I was speaking today with a close friend I work with that owns a solar business and he told me he can get me a new 250 amp panel with the same voltage output as my existing panels for about $200 that I could add to my system if I wanted to. This would take my total to 440 watts. I told him about the other tread discussing experiments with solar panels and he suggested that if I buy this panel I consider mounting it on customized bracketing on either the front tongue or rear hitch of the trailer depending on the sun angle while camping and angle the panel to generate the maximum output. This mounting would be highly efficient, stable, fairly secure and not blow over in the wind. Interesting conversation!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #34

Steve, Have you determined the highest amperage you can generate in 24 hours with your existing panels? Best I've seen up here was 50A with the 160 flat mounted.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I loaded the refer with a room temperature case of wine
Yes, having the right provisions for camping is so important

Looks promising.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Steve, Have you determined the highest amperage you can generate in 24 hours with your existing panels? Best I've seen up here was 50A with the 160 flat mounted.
50A 12V from a 160W panel ?

"250 amp panel with the same voltage output as my existing panels for about $200"
3000 W panel for $200 or 250W panel ?
It is so easy to trip.
With a large wattage demand I have measured 15A output from two horizontal 95W panels at high noon in late July.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post

"250 amp panel with the same voltage output as my existing panels for about $200"
It is so easy to trip.
With a large wattage demand I have measured 15A output from two horizontal 95W panels at high noon in late July.
Yes, I tripped! It is a 250 watt panel. Thx!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Yes, I tripped! It is a 250 watt panel. Thx!
Does this 250 watt panel provide 18-20 volts or 36-40 volts?

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post

It is so easy to trip.
I knew exactly what I meant, darn keyboard has a mind of their own though.

50A total on an ideal summer day, sun up to sun down.

Best I've seen at any given moment was just over 8A in the summer, mostly it's mid 5's in the fall.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Does this 250 watt panel provide 18-20 volts or 36-40 volts?

--
Alan
Alan, the 250 watt panel he offered has too high a voltage for me. I want to stay with the appx. 17 volt output so he is looking again. Good catch!

Steve