Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Appears to me Myron, your space is already insulated on the exterior wall, I'm not sure what little benefit you may obtain doing the small side walls.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #82

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm guessing none. Back to square one.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #83

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Very nice work, I appreciate the pic and tips. Did you just have a big open cavity with no insulation or plywood baffle??

I do have a rubber seal on 3 sides and foam sealing the bottom. (which I replaced) of the refer box. And a plywood baffle starting about 12" up which also provides some dead air space (insulation). There was no insulation installed anywhere in the cavity except a section of vinyl/foam on the roof.

Mel
Mel, I had no insulation nor baffle...just a big open cavity. This was the standard 19' design in 2012.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #84

Myron,
I agree, your installation appears good, other than the baffle situation. I remember ETI posting something about the baffle and your plug, if it was in locale okay, in another then the baffle may help. Yors, if I recall is in the "other" and the baffle install was simple and not that complicated, if my memory serves me right.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Mel, I had no insulation nor baffle...just a big open cavity. This was the standard 19' design in 2012.
Now that you mention it, I remember on my 2012 19' Escape seeing the exterior wall covered with condensation on cool mornings right around the refer area, perhaps due to nothing on the wall then.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It is all a matter of degree. If you can live with the fridge performance than leave it alone. If you can't, how unhappy are you? How much work is worth a bit (very precisely quantified amount) of improvement. (Answers will vary wildly - see klem's posts.)

Given no baffle and only reflectix - I like the idea of making the baffle out of the foil backed foam hotfishtacos used. One or two layers as needed. You MIGHT be able to fish it up from below in short pieces - maybe get Dave over to help - he has smaller hands and arms. Maybe use string from above to pull it up, sticks/poles?
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 19'
Pulling the frig is simple if you have a surface to support it going in/ out. Disconnect AC, DC, and gas. There are 2 screws on each side of the box with plastic caps in the door slot.. I slide it out a couple inches then remove the door (3 screws on the top). Then slide it out. It's not very heavy to lift out/ in if you have a platform to set it on and the door is off so you can reach in with your arm.

I made a platform out of an old metal wastebasket with plywood on top/bottom screwed to it. Anything for support is the answer to smooth in/out.

How much will it help? I hope enough to keep Irma happy as she was in our previous trailers and campers.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
So the question is... is adding a baffle to constrict air flow in an already constricted area really worth the trouble? Guessing no way to determine you've reached the point of diminishing returns without putting in the baffle and comparing results... but then, if there's no obvious tipping point achieved all you got to show for the work is um... the satisfaction of having done it. Dunno about that.

I don't see Steve's installation sheets being anything but a thicker version of what ETI glued to my walls... better R-factor, sure, but rather an expensive fix for my case, I think.
While a different fridge, the performance of my 5 cu ft improved considerably when I added a curved "baffle" to the top to guide the exhaust out the side vent, and a lower baffle to force the incoming air into the coils rather than bypassing them. I used this guide provided by this Dometic I found at the Bryant RV document pages.

If the space is too large, the cool air entering the bottom of the refrigerator just bypasses the fins. As jamman notes, the amount of space recommended by Dometic is very narrow. If the space it too wide (such as mine) they recommend a lower baffle. I made both of mine from aluminum flashing.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #89

From that Dometic Guide... "OPTION NO. 1
Consists of one roof vent and one lower side vent.
Recommended for normal installations where
natural draft ventilation is possible."

Ah-hah, Jon!...and clearly, "F" in their Figure speaks volumes. Is this a smoking gun? Looking maybe like I will be pulling out my fridge and doing the baffle after all.

OOps...excuse typo in my thumbnail "RM...etc."
Attached Thumbnails
Option1.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #90
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I like Steve's insulation job, but it's not critical for the type of fridge he's installing. Would a similar insulation job benefit the absorption fridges? Sure, since it will reduce the heat transfer from outside to inside. But, as some have pointed out, the critical factor for the absorption Fridge's is to reduce the SPACE between the outer wall and the back of the fridge. That way the rising air cannot help but pass over the fins.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #91

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree with Jon's and Robert's excellent descriptions of the purpose of an air control baffle - it's about direction, not restriction.

I haven't removed and replaced an RV refrigerator, but repair techs (paid by an extended warranty) have done our big RM2852 (in a motorhome) twice... by themselves, without problems. It's far from trivial, but it's certainly do-able.

If I removed a refrigerator to make any mods, I would certainly think it would be worth both insulating (if not already insulated on all sides) and baffling (if not already baffled to Dometic's spec).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #92

Talking

The installation is now complete! ; This morning I installed the new Nova Kool refrigerator in my 19', completed the trim details in front, finished terminating the wiring and turned it on. I am very pleased with how it turned out and my wife is very happy as well. Wow! It came out great and started cooling like crazy the second it was turned on. We will probably replace the black door panels later but right now I want to do some real world testing...but first I have a major cleanup job to complete. I've even got sawdust on the camera lens...

Here are some pictures of the finished installation.

The refer is trimmed out with black screw covers and a piece of wooden trim top and bottom.

This is a 7.3 cu ft Nova Kool refrigerator, 3.0 cu ft bigger than the 4.3 cu ft Dometic unit we removed. No more extra cooler for our drinks and now we can bring more frozen food! The refrigerator door has a very generous opening above the bed and the freezer opens to a little more than 90 degrees...all good!!! It is nice having the refer on top where we can look directly into it and the freezer is on the bottom which will get used much less often.

It will also be nice to be able to access the compressor and supply wiring from the lower access vent.

Overall, I couldn't be happier about the outcome of this project. I will keep you posted on my real world testing. I need to confirm that my solar and battery capacities are sufficient.

Stay tuned!

Steve
Old 11-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It looks factory Steve. Excellent job.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #94

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
From that Dometic Guide... "OPTION NO. 1
Consists of one roof vent and one lower side vent.
Recommended for normal installations where
natural draft ventilation is possible."

Ah-hah, Jon!...and clearly, "F" in their Figure speaks volumes. Is this a smoking gun? Looking maybe like I will be pulling out my fridge and doing the baffle after all.

OOps...excuse typo in my thumbnail "RM...etc."
Reace has stated that the baffle does not work that well.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...es-4161-2.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...ance-4232.html
Old 11-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #95

Just re-read them old (July '14) posts. It was painful.

Nice work Steve.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #96

Trailer: Escape
Excellent work Steve. By far the best Escape TT modification yet.
" I need to confirm that my solar and battery capacities are sufficient."
We are eagerly awaiting the final analysis and for our warranties to expire.
Thank you, Bob
Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #97

I started testing today around 2:30 PM. My plan is to run the new Nova Kool refrigerator around the clock for several days supplied by a combination of the two 6 volt batteries and two 95 watt permanently mounted solar panels. I checked the battery water level before starting and the batteries were at 15 volts with no load. The trailer is parked at the side of my house with the refer running at a setting of 4.5 with the panels shaded by the house around 3:30 to 4:00 PM. I put 9 bottles of wine and 3 liters of water in the refer and a 16.3 lb frozen turkey in the freezer. Greggo, notice I said "bottles" not "boxes"...

Stay tuned! Steve
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #98

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I put 9 bottles of wine and 3 liters of water in the refer and a 16.3 lb frozen turkey in the freezer.

Stay tuned! Steve
Stop torturing us Very nicely done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #99

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks great, Steve. Eager to hear how it works for you in use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #100

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Read this, by a pro refrig guy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Refrig Install Good Explanation by refrig guy.pdf (39.5 KB, 84 views)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote