Nova Kool RFU 8320 Refrigerator Installation - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #121
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here's a link to a mount I saved off for future use, I like the way it'll go either direction.

Dual Tilt RV Solar Panel Mounts - Tilting Solar Module Angle Mounts - RV Solar Connection, llc - Denver, Colorado
This looks like the same setup the Oliver manufacturer is using for their panels... if you care
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #122

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This looks like the same setup the Oliver manufacturer is using for their panels... if you care
I've been looking at those designs but would really like to be able to angle the panels in any direction, not just two and am building a prototype to accomplish that...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #123

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
A friend of mine built a beutiful tilting bracket for his panel, the onlt negative is it only tilts side to side. His logic originaly was that he could position his trailer when camping to make that work, but that can be a bit tricky with a 28 ft trailer not always that much of a option when camping. So to have a mount that will alow it to be angled any way needed would be a great idea .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #124

This morning at 7:30 AM I went out and looked at the 95 watt panel located in the center of the trailer between the AC and the Maxifan. I had previously raised it up 3" when I mounted it to eliminate shadows from the Maxifan. I observed the sun shining over the entire panel surface and checked the the solar controller. It was reading 0 amps. I then unbolted the panel from the mounting and tilted it up facing the sun and it read 4.0 amps, even with a the sun very low in the sky. I then unbolted the rear panel and faced them both generally toward the sun and the total went up to 8.5 amps, 112 watts. What a huge difference it made to tilt the panels toward the sun! With the requirements to recharge my batteries after running the new DC refrigerator each night, a couple of extra hours of efficient charging each day will be important. This small test pretty much validates my efforts to improve the designs for my panel mountings to allow them to tilt toward the sun track.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #125

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I intend to place a panel or two on the ground remote from the trailer where they can be adjusted easily. I currently have a battery cart which I use for tent camping. The batteries are charged by cord and plug connected panels. The panels are on an angled frame that can be moved and adjusted to gather the most sunlight.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
I intend to place a panel or two on the ground remote from the trailer where they can be adjusted easily. I currently have a battery cart which I use for tent camping. The batteries are charged by cord and plug connected panels. The panels are on an angled frame that can be moved and adjusted to gather the most sunlight.
During my experiment today when I angled my two 95 watt panels toward the sun track they put out about 60 amps of power during the day. The day before when they were mounted the output was 21; same panels, same location, same weather, different panel attitudes. This is a favorable sun location in Southern California. I also think one panel was shadowed by the AC. It would seem that those who elect to make their panels portable instead of permanently mounted and then angle them toward the sun track during setup will get much more output from them than those who have them mounted on their trailer.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Pretty graphic results. Did you "follow" the sun and reposition them several times?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Pretty graphic results. Did you "follow" the sun and reposition them several times?

Ron
No! I just pointed them generally South and about 45 degree angle. Not very scientific but probably what they would see on an angled mount on the trailer roof. I put them in position after about 1 1/2 hours in the morning when I realized they need to be tilted upward. Also, I lost light early because I get shadow from the house about 2:30 in the afternoon. Camping in the open I will get more sun hours. I have them propped up now so tomorrow I should get more than today.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #129

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Installing tilting panels sounds like a lot of trouble. More so having to adjust them when one sets up camp. I know me, and I know I'd forget to "stow" the roof panel before towing. Likely a very expensive mistake. So I'll have to stay with a flat roof panel.

I do wonder how much difference the solar controller makes. The Go Power solar controller Escape installs doesn't have a particularly good charging cycle. If one is trying to optimize battery charging the controller should also be a consideration. Ya, one more thing to throw on the trade off chart, thanks Hugh.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #130

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Read where one person ties a rag to the steering wheel when the panels are up as a reminder. It'd be one more thing for the preflight checklist.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Installing tilting panels sounds like a lot of trouble. More so having to adjust them when one sets up camp. I know me, and I know I'd forget to "stow" the roof panel before towing. Likely a very expensive mistake. So I'll have to stay with a flat roof panel.

I do wonder how much difference the solar controller makes. The Go Power solar controller Escape installs doesn't have a particularly good charging cycle. If one is trying to optimize battery charging the controller should also be a consideration. Ya, one more thing to throw on the trade off chart, thanks Hugh.

Thanks.
Hugh, I changed my solar controller a long time ago to a Morningstar Tristar programmable unit. At least that part is taken care of..
Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #132

I'm happy to report that my newly installed Nova Kool refrigerator has been running constantly now for over a week in my driveway, supplied only by the two 6 volt batteries being charged each day by my 95 watt solar panels. These panels are tilted up about 55 degrees toward the sun, are putting out over 60 amps total per day and are plenty of power to supply the refer indefinitely. I am seeing 14.9 volts each early afternoon on the MorningStar panel with the Pulse-Width-Modulation throttling back the power from the panels because the batteries are at the required voltage level. To have additional power for other needs and for grey days, I will soon install a hitch-mounted 140 watt panel that will also be on an angled sun-facing mount. This panel will attach to either the front or back hitch areas of the trailer depending on where the sun is when camping, not on the ground. The mounts and wiring have been ordered so it should all be on-line in about a week. I am fabricating some parts for the adjustable mounts for the two 95 watt panels on the roof and the rest of the parts are due early next week...pictures coming soon. Stay tuned!

Steve
Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #133

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I know I don't need a new fridge with my current 5.0 cf working fine, but sure am watching what all you are doing with yours, Steve. I have always liked the idea of these fridges, and you seem to be doing it up good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #134
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Great work Steve. You could sum it up with what was stated before: if you have adequate solar and batt capacity, a compressor fridge is a great alternative to the inadequate cooling of the Dometic.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #135

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Great work Steve. You could sum it up with what was stated before: if you have adequate solar and batt capacity, a compressor fridge is a great alternative to the inadequate cooling of the Dometic.
as long as one has sun.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I will soon install a hitch-mounted 140 watt panel that will also be on an angled sun-facing mount. This panel will attach to either the front or back hitch areas of the trailer depending on where the sun is when camping, not on the ground.
Steve
Not unexpected results but nice to see it confirmed that the Nova Kool and solar are a viable option. Great paving the way for others.

After I finish my current 3 trailer projects a mount that allows for tilting and swiveling is on my list. So I'll be looking at what you do with interest. I've had a little trouble getting panels but hope to get some soon. Won't be able to finalize a design until I have them in hand but I'm thinking a fixed mount at the front and maybe even being able to keep one "flat and down" while underway.

Ron
Old 11-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #137

Trailer: 2014 19'
Looking forward to seeing the fore/aft solar panel tilt-o-matic.

Excellent frig conversion so far, and you even have sun .... I'm jealous.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not unexpected results but nice to see it confirmed that the Nova Kool and solar are a viable option. Great paving the way for others.

After I finish my current 3 trailer projects a mount that allows for tilting and swiveling is on my list. So I'll be looking at what you do with interest. I've had a little trouble getting panels but hope to get some soon. Won't be able to finalize a design until I have them in hand but I'm thinking a fixed mount at the front and maybe even being able to keep one "flat and down" while underway.

Ron
Ron, Grape Solar in Oregon is selling through Amazon and I purchased my 160 watt panel for $248 delivered to my home in 2 days, free shipping with Amazon Prime. They have the best panel prices (delivered) I've seen for the lower voltage mono type; Grape Solar GS-S-160-Fab8 Monocrystalline PV Panel, 160-watt. For reference, I remember giving Reace about $500 for my second 95 panel about a year ago.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #139
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Ron, Grape Solar in Oregon is selling through Amazon and I purchased my 160 watt panel for $248 delivered to my home in 2 days, free shipping with Amazon Prime. They have the best panel prices (delivered) I've seen for the lower voltage mono type; Grape Solar GS-S-160-Fab8 Monocrystalline PV Panel, 160-watt. For reference, I remember giving Reace about $500 for my second 95 panel about a year ago.
They also sell a compressor fridge that will fit through the door of the Escape. Not nearly as nice as a NovaKool though, and it uses a Culco compressor instead of a Danfoss.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #140

Quote:
Ron, Grape Solar in Oregon is selling through Amazon and I purchased my 160 watt panel for $248 delivered to my home in 2 days, free shipping with Amazon Prime. .
Thanks, it's easier to buy an item from a Canadian dealer where possible. Cuts down or eliminates shipping charges etc. My problem right now is that I had 2 dealers with panels that looked suitable but when I called their 800 numbers their answers and "customer service" left a little to be desired. Hopefully I'll get that sorted out soon.

Ron