OK, shoot down this crazy idea--adjustable bed in 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: not yet
OK, shoot down this crazy idea--adjustable bed in 5.0

I rarely sleep flat, usually propped up or in the recliner. I ran across this--https://www.raymourflanigan.com/free...484100020.aspx

this frame can sit right on the floor and is only 3.5" high. Seems that I could put a 5" latex mattress on it and not be too high. Sooooo, could this actually work? It seems to fit the space, and I have sat up on the mattress of a 5.0 and headroom was not an issue. I am wondering about getting it in the door and up the stairs and getting power to it, but that seems doable. Am I missing anything here?
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sounds like it'd work for you. I would want to make sure the thing will come apart before buying in case you find out it won't fit as is. Or at least make sure you can return it.

The front wall of the trailer is angled, may cause problems as our queen goes right up to the front wall.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That looks great...who needs a couch.

Most chairs and this sort of thing runs off of a lower voltage. There should be no problem finding a step up or step down converter to run it directly off of 12 volts.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #4

Wow, 132 lbs., better start eating Wheaties.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sounds like it'd work for you. I would want to make sure the thing will come apart before buying in case you find out it won't fit as is. Or at least make sure you can return it.

The front wall of the trailer is angled, may cause problems as our queen goes right up to the front wall.

From what I am seeing this would be a easy fit into a 5.0 or a 19.
The power needed is 3 amps 29v DC to power it.

Here is the manual to it.
https://glideaway.com/wp-content/upl...yle_Manual.pdf

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Just another thought,

My wife and I have just finished our build sheet and were thinking about some method of propping up our bed for reading, watching television etc...Instead we paid a few extrea dollars and are getting e second television hookup and mount installed at eye level in the dinette, we have bought a Springfield telescoping table pedestal for the dinette table and in the evenings if we end up using the table for dining, we'll simply drop it down, place the filler cushions in and my wife is making a load of prop pillows to make a super comfy space to hang out, read and watch tv. just a possible alternative?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
$699 doesn't include the mattress. Ouch. But I know how important it is to get good sleep. If this works for you, then it would be worth every dollar. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
$699 doesn't include the mattress. Ouch. But I know how important it is to get good sleep. If this works for you, then it would be worth every dollar. Good luck!

Hopefully they will document the mod if they decide to do it.
If it were less I might consider it too.
I'm thinking the weight has to be less or those two ladies could beat the crap out of most of us as they act like it is light.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Many people don't understand how awesome a latex mattress is. We have one at home and in the 21 due to the cut corner mattress we had to improvise. Used a 4" closed cell foam base(firmer than 5-6") then used 1" of waffle memory foam from Costco then 2.5" of Talalay Latex topper from Amazon. Better than most hotel mattresses and after 4.5 years has held up great. Cost about $900.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Many people don't understand how awesome a latex mattress is. We have one at home and in the 21 due to the cut corner mattress we had to improvise. Used a 4" closed cell foam base(firmer than 5-6") then used 1" of waffle memory foam from Costco then 2.5" of Talalay Latex topper from Amazon. Better than most hotel mattresses and after 4.5 years has held up great. Cost about $900.
Ross we also have the Talalay toppers at home and in the trailer too! Wonderful ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I love my adjustable bed- at home. I'd love to have one in the trailer but it weighs a ton- not sure even if I had a big trailer I'd want to put something that heavy in it. I wonder if you can get a hand-crank version? I know there are inflatable wedges. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Produ.../dp/B00JF8V5B6 That seems a little more realistic and might work pretty well in a trailer.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The power needed is 3 amps 29v DC to power it. ]
Here is an up converter rated at 8 amps that can be adjusted to turn12 volts DC into 29 Volts DC. Shipping should be free to the US...still not free to Canada due to the long over postal strike.

DC 400W 15A Step up Boost Converter Constant Current Power Supply LED Driver 8.5 50V to 10 60V Voltage Charger Step Up Module-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Old 12-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #13

After looking at the video we can see the unit comes in 2 parts so getting it in the trailer and in place looks like no problem. I agree, the way the 2 ladies are moving around the frame the 132 lbs is either an inflated shipping weight or the ladies are weight lifters.

With those issues solved it only leaves the question of the room for the frame to rise with the angled front. Haven't seen the front on the new body 5.0TA's so don't know. Someone's gotta be first and try it. For $700 I guess you want to make sure it's returnable.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
I rarely sleep flat, usually propped up or in the recliner. I ran across this--https://www.raymourflanigan.com/free...484100020.aspx

this frame can sit right on the floor and is only 3.5" high. Seems that I could put a 5" latex mattress on it and not be too high. Sooooo, could this actually work? It seems to fit the space, and I have sat up on the mattress of a 5.0 and headroom was not an issue. I am wondering about getting it in the door and up the stairs and getting power to it, but that seems doable. Am I missing anything here?
Hi: BillE... I can't take a shot at the adjustable frame other than it looks like it needs a pretty soft foam mattress to fit the lack of curves. It seems a nice alternative to a box spring... or lack there of. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Shipping should be free to the US...still not free to Canada due to the long over postal strike.
Hi Ed, why would you even want to ship Canada Post? Had a chance to compare USPS and CP this week. Tuesday I went to US to mail a box about eighteen inches by twelve by twelve to Georgia. I wanted three day delivery, it cost $18 and arrived in TWO days. Meanwhile Beth went to our PO on Wed. to mail a six by four by four inch package to Toronto. Over $20 and no guarantee it would arrive before Christmas
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Ed, why would you even want to ship Canada Post?

Have you noticed the size of Canada, and how small the population? It's also the reason you don't have stores in Manitoba.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Ed, why would you even want to ship Canada Post? Had a chance to compare USPS and CP this week. Tuesday I went to US to mail a box about eighteen inches by twelve by twelve to Georgia. I wanted three day delivery, it cost $18 and arrived in TWO days. Meanwhile Beth went to our PO on Wed. to mail a six by four by four inch package to Toronto. Over $20 and no guarantee it would arrive before Christmas
I don’t...I think you missed my point on the “Buck Converter” available from a China distributor in a previous post. You may want to wait for better/free shipping to come back if you are ordering that product from Canada.

Countries were told by the Canadian Government to stop shipping to Canada during the postal strike because the trucks were stacking up. During the rotating strike I had some of my best shipping times ever because people were afraid to ship.

This panic caused the China distributors to go from free shipping on many items to extreme rates via whatever method they deemed best. It is going to take some time before they get the message that the strike is over and they can return to free shipping which I receive via Canada Post.

The item below which I have received in the past with free shipping and is still available to the US for free shipping but is now only available to Canada via DHL.
Attached Thumbnails
4C0A95DD-28FC-4B7B-BF3C-738F00EDB15E.jpeg  

Old 12-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I was thinking about the Lonset slatted base (queen) from Ikea, much cheaper but not adjustable. My concern is that the 3 inch height right at the edge of the platform might hurt my knees as I am crawling in and out of the bed in the 5.0TA.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔Like your idea, but as Bob said the front of the trailer leans in and may very well limit how much you can raise the head. Then there’s the 132 lbs, seems like a lot of weight to put up that high, if you can get it through the door. We use an adjustable bed at home and really like it, so keep us posted if you try it. For now we have been using a couple foam sleeping wedges in the trailer. They work ok.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Have you noticed the size of Canada, and how small the population? It's also the reason you don't have stores in Manitoba.
Yes I know that it's a lot more difficult to service such a large country, however, for mail, we're a day from Winnipeg, maybe three days to Toronto, another day to sort and deliver, they should be able to deliver five days from mailing, especially with the high price Beth had to pay for such a small and very light box.

Now the box to Georgia mailed in small town North Dakota got there in two days, obviously went by air, a pretty big box for $18. And they have less stores in ND than our zero stores in MB, the population of the state is half of MB
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote