OK, shoot down this crazy idea--adjustable bed in 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: not yet
OK, shoot down this crazy idea--adjustable bed in 5.0

I rarely sleep flat, usually propped up or in the recliner. I ran across this--https://www.raymourflanigan.com/free...484100020.aspx

this frame can sit right on the floor and is only 3.5" high. Seems that I could put a 5" latex mattress on it and not be too high. Sooooo, could this actually work? It seems to fit the space, and I have sat up on the mattress of a 5.0 and headroom was not an issue. I am wondering about getting it in the door and up the stairs and getting power to it, but that seems doable. Am I missing anything here?

BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Sounds like it'd work for you. I would want to make sure the thing will come apart before buying in case you find out it won't fit as is. Or at least make sure you can return it.

The front wall of the trailer is angled, may cause problems as our queen goes right up to the front wall.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That looks great...who needs a couch.

Most chairs and this sort of thing runs off of a lower voltage. There should be no problem finding a step up or step down converter to run it directly off of 12 volts.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Wow, 132 lbs., better start eating Wheaties.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sounds like it'd work for you. I would want to make sure the thing will come apart before buying in case you find out it won't fit as is. Or at least make sure you can return it.

The front wall of the trailer is angled, may cause problems as our queen goes right up to the front wall.

From what I am seeing this would be a easy fit into a 5.0 or a 19.
The power needed is 3 amps 29v DC to power it.

Here is the manual to it.
https://glideaway.com/wp-content/upl...yle_Manual.pdf

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Ordered 2019 5.0 TA
Just another thought,

My wife and I have just finished our build sheet and were thinking about some method of propping up our bed for reading, watching television etc...Instead we paid a few extrea dollars and are getting e second television hookup and mount installed at eye level in the dinette, we have bought a Springfield telescoping table pedestal for the dinette table and in the evenings if we end up using the table for dining, we'll simply drop it down, place the filler cushions in and my wife is making a load of prop pillows to make a super comfy space to hang out, read and watch tv. just a possible alternative?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
$699 doesn't include the mattress. Ouch. But I know how important it is to get good sleep. If this works for you, then it would be worth every dollar. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
$699 doesn't include the mattress. Ouch. But I know how important it is to get good sleep. If this works for you, then it would be worth every dollar. Good luck!

Hopefully they will document the mod if they decide to do it.
If it were less I might consider it too.
I'm thinking the weight has to be less or those two ladies could beat the crap out of most of us as they act like it is light.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 21
Many people don't understand how awesome a latex mattress is. We have one at home and in the 21 due to the cut corner mattress we had to improvise. Used a 4" closed cell foam base(firmer than 5-6") then used 1" of waffle memory foam from Costco then 2.5" of Talalay Latex topper from Amazon. Better than most hotel mattresses and after 4.5 years has held up great. Cost about $900.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Many people don't understand how awesome a latex mattress is. We have one at home and in the 21 due to the cut corner mattress we had to improvise. Used a 4" closed cell foam base(firmer than 5-6") then used 1" of waffle memory foam from Costco then 2.5" of Talalay Latex topper from Amazon. Better than most hotel mattresses and after 4.5 years has held up great. Cost about $900.
Ross we also have the Talalay toppers at home and in the trailer too! Wonderful ! Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote