One more? about kitchen window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
One more? about kitchen window

OK, another (hopefully) final question about the build sheet. This question is for all of the Escape owners with and without a kitchen window.

DH desires a window for a potential view, while I think that the remaining large windows are just fine. Also, in most camping situations, doesn't the kitchen window only give you a view of your neighbor's trailer?

So the question is, would you or would you not have a kitchen window in your trailer? Why or why not?
Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The neighbor's trailer is what you see at many private campgrounds where everyone is very close. We always have more room at public campgrounds and we may have a view from the kitchen window.

What we use the kitchen window mostly for is air, since it is an awning, so no problem if it starts raining. Can also talk through it. We open it and keep the Maxx fan open to circulate the air. In fact, I often open no window but that one, (but maybe the little bath window, too). Now if you have the other windows being awning, that might change the situation. At night though, usually only a little air is needed from that little window.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
One more? about kitchen window

It's been answered many times before, but we like the opening (awning style) kitchen window because it allows cross ventilation between the window and the Maxx Fan when it's storming and the awning isn't deployed or the entry door opened. No water gets inside, unlike a sliding window. We also like that when one of us is sitting under the awning, the other can see or hear us from inside. Lastly, any chance to add more light by adding even a small window is welcome to us. Makes seeing into the sink easier without turning a light on. I would have even added another awning style window above the stove if I had the option when it was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We just had a view out ours of a gorgeous lake. No neighbor that way and no obstruction. Wifey loves the window, so I'm glad we did it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
We're adding the kitchen window to our 19' due next March. I like looking out the window while washing dishes and for extra air circulation as it would be left open at night. Also the extra natural daylight is always a bonus.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

More great insights from experience. Again, these are things I hadn't considered. We are going with the bathroom window as well. It should help with the humidity and condensation for one. I had read somewhere in the forum that instead of getting an outside shower, the owners just hook a hose up to their sink To run out the bathroom window as an outdoor shower!

So, we are working on the build sheet right now. Thank you guys again for all of your prompt and thoughtful replies. Much appreciated! . .
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Ok, so I'm confused. From all the on-line pictures, I thought both the 19 and the 21 came with a window over the sink as standard equipment, and I didn't see an option in the on-line list of options to add/change the kitchen window. So, by default, is there NO window over the sink, and you have to add one if you want it? We want one and would be very disappointed if we slipped up and didn't ask for it on a build sheet. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 19'
I've decided to delete range hood & go with window based in other comments.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Ok, so I'm confused. From all the on-line pictures, I thought both the 19 and the 21 came with a window over the sink as standard equipment, and I didn't see an option in the on-line list of options to add/change the kitchen window. So, by default, is there NO window over the sink, and you have to add one if you want it? We want one and would be very disappointed if we slipped up and didn't ask for it on a build sheet. Dale
The 21' comes with a big slider across the kitchen. The 19' does not and you can have a window added. We, however, substituted the 19' kitchen awning window for the usual slider in the 21' so we could have an awning window there. That's the one we open every night, rain or not, no problem. We may have the only 21' with a 19' window as people do not want to give up their big kitchen window. We are glad to have the awning window.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 15A
Would that change the window on the 21' if you have the new framless windows which I understand are all awning type??
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The 21' comes with a big slider across the kitchen. The 19' does not and you can have a window added. We, however, substituted the 19' kitchen awning window for the usual slider in the 21' so we could have an awning window there. That's the one we open every night, rain or not, no problem. We may have the only 21' with a 19' window as people do not want to give up their big kitchen window. We are glad to have the awning window.
Makes perfect sense! Intriguing idea to go with the 19's optional awning window over the sink in the 21 instead of the 21's standard slider window. Since the awning windows are narrower, maybe one could put two, side-by-side like ship portals, one over the sink and one over the cook top. So much to ponder! Thanks so much....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
More great insights from experience. Again, these are things I hadn't considered. We are going with the bathroom window as well. It should help with the humidity and condensation for one. I had read somewhere in the forum that instead of getting an outside shower, the owners just hook a hose up to their sink To run out the bathroom window as an outdoor shower!

So, we are working on the build sheet right now. Thank you guys again for all of your prompt and thoughtful replies. Much appreciated! . .
Everything Robert and Cathy said is the same for us . In fact it is open right now under the cover . Hopefully it will be the same one we all have . If it is the new can't vouch for that one . Not really impressed with frameless windows Escape will now give you a choice to get after checking them out at a RV dealer . Only can recommend the awning windows we all have .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Would that change the window on the 21' if you have the new framless windows which I understand are all awning type??
Yes, that is what I was referring to. There is the choice though, I guess, of whether you have those. I am not up on the new possibilities.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We of course have the standard slider "kitchen" window in our 21. Use it ALL the time, even though ours isn't the awning type. Our 1999 Casita didn't have a galley window and I missed it (the 1989 Casita did have a small one). It's very helpful for ventilation when I'm cooking something but don't want to use the range hood fan (which is a little bit noisy). YMMV, especially since yours is a 19 (layout varies slightly).
Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Reace will not install a window over the stove for safety reasons, the kitchen window in all models is centered between the stove and sink so 2 windows is not an option. In the 21 you can get an optional window on the opposite wall of the kitchen, where the night stand is and in the 19 the bath window is more or less across the way. Without frameless option these extra windows are not thermal, with the frameless option they are thermal and awning style.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

I didn't realize there was an option to go with the slider. Good idea Cathy.
Pat, what didn't you like about the frameless windows? I recall someone saying that the old frame style conducted the heat and cold into the cabin more readily, while the frameless did not.
This seems like an advantage to me among others.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
I didn't realize there was an option to go with the slider. Good idea Cathy.
Pat, what didn't you like about the frameless windows? I recall someone saying that the old frame style conducted the heat and cold into the cabin more readily, while the frameless did not.
This seems like an advantage to me among others.
The kitchen window in each model is different, on the 21 it is standard, on the 19 it is an option. The option list describes the window, for the 19' I do not think slider is listed.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #18

In addition the optional window, not frameless is not thermal whereas the optional frameless is thermal, in the 19' model.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In addition the optional window, not frameless is not thermal whereas the optional frameless is thermal, in the 19' model.
Yes... I do want to keep everything thermal, and as tight as possible. Thanks Harley!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
When we bought our 17B used almost exactly a year ago, it did not have the extra window in the kitchen. Almost immediately we took the trailer to Escape to have it added.

We can't have too many windows (i.e. too much light) in the trailer. Before we discovered and bought Escape, we looked at lots of other compact trailers, all of which felt to us like dungeons inside.

The extra ventilation and views are icing on the cake.

Lotar & Wendy & Tumbleweed