Opinions on adding a 2nd light outside the entry door - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The step does not project far enough out so that when I step off the threshold onto the step, typically 1/3 of my foot is hanging over the edge. I am glad you find the step just right. But neither my wife nor I like it. And based upon other posts I have read on the forum, we are not alone in our dislike of it. Furthermore, she lost her balance using it more than once; thankfully she was holding onto the grab bar and did not fall. You don't see any pictures of it deployed because I refuse to use it. We don't have any problem with it entering the trailer; the problem is exiting the trailer. I find the Rubbermaid step stool far superior to the retractable step and as I said, it comes in handy for other things. I make that statement having used both, whereas I would (gasp) assume you haven't since you are satisfied with what you have. Perhaps if you tested the Rubbermaid, you might understand why I prefer it. It all comes down to what works best for each individual/couple. I hope that in some way that my explanation helps you understand why I (we) don't like the Escape step. And it is the same step that was on my Scamp 19 and two Aliners. Didn't like it on them, either.

Actually, they are firmly sitting on the ground and I find them far more stable than the retractable step that came with the trailer. I have never stumbled using the step stool but I cannot say I have never stumbled on the retractable step. Only once did I find them a bit unstable. The placement of the trailer was such that the steps were partially on a tree root. I backed the trailer up another foot and everything was fine. Again, however, what works for me may not work for someone else. I quote Donna.....YMMV!

We will look at the situation that you are describing. One thing we have is an extra grab bar in the doorway on the other side. It was installed by Escape at pick-up, permanently just as the stock one. We would not have used your steps today in the snow. Maybe I would like them in dry weather.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I will probably find that the step has a problem that I never noticed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I never understand what problem some people have with their Escape step. You don't show a photo with the Escape step down.

Did you have another trailer before this one (that had different steps)?
Do you have a high lift axle?
Is the 5.0 step a different height from other models?

We have no trouble with ours. I know that some people with physical problems want two steps but we don't see anything wrong with this one for most people. Do the above questions apply to you? Thank you.

This is ours. Seems just right to us.
Cathy, do you see the sharp-cornered plate underneath the rounded one on top of it where the bolts go through? You can see it best on the left side. That corner sliced my heel- still have a scar- when I backed up the steps to hear something and backed into it with a sandal on. That should not exist.

I wish a step option could be purchased; I would have given ETI up to $200 for a better designed step. The drop from the floor in the trailer to the step is 10". In your home the risers are normally 7 3/4 to 8". Doesn't sound like much but it is noticeable. More importantly, the tread is 8" wide; in our home they are 11". In a Canadian TV news report they say it can save lives to have more depth in stairs:

Increasing stair depth could save lives: researchers | CTV News
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #23

Ross, I see those places. We have rubber strips that we have run across some cabinet edges and we can put pieces of that rubber on those corners. We also had other big corner protectors inside. Available at children's departments. You could try those.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #24

Forgot to mention I had someone use a grinder to make it round- just as the plate above it is. I mentioned it to ETI last May when having work done. Had some duct tape over the edges and didn't think to ask them to fix it, but now am surprised they didn't, except it wasn't on the list.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We will look at the situation that you are describing. One thing we have is an extra grab bar in the doorway on the other side. It was installed by Escape at pick-up, permanently just as the stock one. We would not have used your steps today in the snow. Maybe I would like them in dry weather.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I will probably find that the step has a problem that I never noticed.
LOL!
Cathy, I wouldn't be using them in the snow, either! If it is below 50 degrees F, my trailer stays in its shelter. I'm not happy if I'm not comfortable in a t-shirt. I don't want to be RVing and chilled at the same time.
Not sure you will find a "not noticed" problem, simply because you said you find the step on your trailer acceptable. To paraphrase with a bit of poetic license, if you don't perceive it as broke, don't fix it!

As an aside, I do like the folding double step that Oliver was and maybe still is using. Saw it at the Oliver factory and was impressed.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
LOL!
Cathy, I wouldn't be using them in the snow, either! If it is below 50 degrees F, my trailer stays in its shelter. I'm not happy if I'm not comfortable in a t-shirt. I don't want to be RVing and chilled at the same time.
Not sure you will find a "not noticed" problem, simply because you said you find the step on your trailer acceptable. To paraphrase with a bit of poetic license, if you don't perceive it as broke, don't fix it!

As an aside, I do like the folding double step that Oliver was and maybe still is using. Saw it at the Oliver factory and Was impressed.
The Oliver is much higher off of the ground and wonder if their steps could work with an Escape.

I intend to get to t-shirt weather also! Used to not want the very hot weather when we had it. After snow and ice, trying to be in a t-shirt again. Just hope it is not quite as hot as our time way back.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I wish a step option could be purchased; I would have given ETI up to $200 for a better designed step. The drop from the floor in the trailer to the step is 10". In your home the risers are normally 7 3/4 to 8". Doesn't sound like much but it is noticeable. More importantly, the tread is 8" wide; in our home they are 11".
Did a quick search on RV steps. It appears that two of the major brands (Stromberg CARLSON and Lippert) that make single and double manual steps are typically only about 8" deep max. Only when you go to the Lippert electric step can you find a tread approaching 11" deep. Not sure why a manual step can't be made deeper.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #28

Thanks for clarifying; I meant the step is 8" deep not wide. Am thinking about placing a deeper metal plate (seems it would have to be thin) on top of the existing step for a safer step. Know just the right guy, and it will probably cost $150-200 knowing his labor rate of $110/hr.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Those steps on our trailers really are a problem . To be fair also had same on our motorhome . Once with motorhome ,stepping out took a flying leap to ground was younger and didn't get hurt . With our trailer have a aluminum bigger step that fits right under trailer step which helps . Also had Escape install another handle inside door which gets used all the time when leaving trailer . And Oliver 's step they make is awesome . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've spent eight years practicing entering and leaving the trailer and I think I'm pretty adept at it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Double step installation

We had a double step installed on our Casita by Little House Customs, (littlehousecustoms.com) located about 50 miles east of Dallas TX. We really like it and we plan to have another one installed on our Escape 21. Both trailers have the high lift axil and from the information I have, are about the same height off the ground.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
My goodness, how dark is it where some of you people camp?? An extra exterior light costs $75.00 (Canadian bucks). If you opt for it, and you don't like it, don't turn it on!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote