Outside speakers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Outside speakers

Good morning

I'm wondering if anyone here has installed outside speakers on a 5.0? In an ideal world it would seem desirable that both speakers be under the awning. But between hatches, awning supports, windows and the fridge I'm not really seeing a potentially balanced arrangement.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Outside speakers

As you may have figured by now, I am not in favor of installing anything permanently.

Speakers under the awning can only be used when sitting under the awning, unless you want to annoy fellow campers.

I use an Altec Lansing portable speaker that runs on AC or batteries ( I'd probably go for rechargeable batteries next time ). It can be moved to the picnic table, used inside the trailer, or taken to the beach ( along with the BBQ that's not tethered to the trailer.

And, when it breaks, or something better comes along, you don't have to un-install it and fill the holes.

baglo
Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

Speakers under the awning can only be used when sitting under the awning

I use an Altec Lansing portable speaker that runs on AC or batteries

baglo
There is much to what you say about no permanent installations. I'm balancing that against my tendency to bring the kitchen sink. I was constantly over filling the cabinets in the last trailer and then filling the truck with bins. Right now I have more storage than I can fill and I'm committed to keeping it that way. So I view built in speakers as a way to keep the clutter down. Still. . .

I never really pictured needing the speakers any where BUT under the awning. I like to read in the shade with the music tootling low in the background but not so the neighbors can hear. I check to be sure.

But do I gather that the unit you mention is wireless? Or is it a docking unit for portable devices? Wireless might have promise.

Maybe run cable to the aft hatch & keep a set of marine box speakers there to be taken out at need? Hmm. . .

You've made me think a little. Thanks.

I look forward to any other ideas.

Dave
Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

There are a couple of nice models of wireless speakers. I have a two sets of RCA's. The transmitter plugs into the line-out or headphone jack and I can get a good signal up to 50 feet. They take D cells or plug into the outside AC. And they will hang from the awning supports.

Dick
Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Mine is a speaker dock for an iPod. I also have a Sirius dock for the satellite radio. Neither are wireless, but I have lots of extension cords for the DC ( and splitters ), so I just run the cord out a window and try not to trip over it.

baglo
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK

I'm wondering if anyone here has installed outside speakers on a 5.0? In an ideal world it would seem desirable that both speakers be under the awning...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
In an ideal world, one camper would not think that their taste in music is entertaining to the rest of the campground.

This is why we boondock.

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #7

I just tried out my new portable bluetooth wireless speakers this morning, and am happy with it. Combined with a separate universal 12V converter, I will be able to charge and run it on the trailer batteries indoors, and I can just unplug it and take it outdoors whenever I want. It plays music wirelessly from my phone, or I can plug in my ancient ipod via the earphone jack.

The claim is "up to 6 hours" on the rechargable battery, but I have not yet put it to the test.

They are small, about the size of a loaf of french bread, and pretty streamlined. There is no way to hang it, however, so it will need to sit on something. Using it in my kitchen until we pick up our Escape.

Logitech Wireless Boombox for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

$150.00 will buy you a Dewalt Shop Radio that is iPod and iPhone ready. Runs on 12 volt Dewalt battery or plug it in. I use mine to charge the 12 volt battery that fits in my drill and raises and lowers my stabilisers. When it rains bring it inside or keep it under the awning.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Another option would be a Jawbone Jambox wireless bluetooth speaker. Not cheap but has high quality sound for it's small size and it's very well built. Use it with your smart phone, ipad, or laptop. Operates up to a 30' range and 6hrs. on a charge. Take it anywhere inside your Escape or outside under the awning.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Im using a Bose Sound Dock in my 19. Flip up the side shelf by the sink, point the Sound Dock towards the door, turn up, close the screen to keep the bugs out, enjoy. Mine is the rechargeable one but the regular AC one would work great there (on shore power) also pluged into the receptacle under that shelf.