Oven questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Baked Alaska!!! Yummmm. Alf
escape artist N.S)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay View Post
Baked lasagna.
Did one of these in our Dickinson BBQ, turned out fantastic. Lasagna is comfort food for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Jim, when you do things like lasagna etc in your BBQ do you put the pan on a higher rack or on another pan?
I found the last casserole I cooked in the BBQ got a little "too well done" on the bottom and found if I elevated it, it seemed to help..
Just learning this stuff..

We have the Weber Baby Q (hooked up to the trailer)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #24

I usually use a layer of heavy tinfoil or a flat griddle, and have even used a couple thin sticks to keep the pan up off of that, Anna-Marie. We have baked a lot of stuff in the BBQ. At the Escape Rally Lisa made up a couple mac and cheeses, and we baked them in there, getting a nice crusty top. You do have to make sure your heat is not too high too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19' January 2011
Oven questions

We debated about the oven too, when ordering Aubergine. We're going to have our "Auby" for a long while - why not have all the goodies we want, and enjoy ourselves when we head out to the wild green yonder.

We haven't regretted our decision at all. In fact, during our non-summer camping, we use the oven more than the stove. It's not a big oven, but we roast whole chicken, lasagna, scalloped potatoes, pizzas, etc just fine, as well as baking cakes & cookies.

We go out almost every weekend, year-round, and we don't have a storage issue. We store our silicone pans in the cold oven. We also have the microwave oven, but only install it whenever we go anywhere with shore power (rare). Otherwise we use the microwave cupboard for storage.

To answer your question:
1) The propane usage is not too bad, no more than if you used the stove.
2) It does not take long to preheat, and the temp settings work very well on our unit.
3)The oven vents at the back of the stove between the stove and the wall. On a cold winter day keeps thing nice and warm. On cool/warmer days we open a window and use the overhead stove fan. It moves quite a bit of air and vents nicely.
4)Lighting the oven is a bit challenging at times but well worth the effort.
We use long fireplace matches or a long BBQ lighter to light the pilot light.
Remember, if you had your propane shut off, then turn it on, it can take a minute or two to make its way there in the line.

Hope this was helpful. If you do get the oven (GO FOR IT!!!), have a slice of something yummy for me.

Cheers and good cooking!

Frank & Natalie

Aubergine hatched from the Egg-Plant on January 27/11, & has been all over BC ever since!
Klimptaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm looking forward to using it for Superbowl chili !!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Used the oven in our 19 during our last trip. We used a long BBQ lighter and had no problems lighting it. The oven quickly heated up and maintained temperature well. We found the size of the oven fine. The three burners on top also worked well and the cover was easy to flip up. Seems like a reliable oven for those who go this route.

We also have the 6.7 larger fridge so we have lost some space in the kitchen area. That perhaps is the biggest downside. For us the big fridge and oven will be well used and instead we use one of the cabinets above the dinette for storing extra food/cooking supplies.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #28

good to hear, so looking forward to using mine soon.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #29

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Every Trailer we have owned has had an oven. We use it often when camping and never had one that was hard to light.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty 17
This is a great thread. We have no microwave in our Casita and don't miss it. We do have a Cuisinart toaster oven that we use outside the trailer to cook/bake when we have power and we've found it to be adequate for our needs. Will probably continue with this when we have our Escape - a year or so down the road. Still dreamin' at this point but not for long!
MarciaGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We don't have an oven, and in a trailer this size we didn't think we could give up the storage space for it, especially since we were already giving up storage space to have the microwave.

Somehow we're always on the go and it's at least 8 p.m. by the time we make supper. By then we're too tired for recipes or baking anyway. I am rather jealous of you off-the-grid types whom I picture lounging around the campsite a lot.

For us, camping is mostly a way to bring our own bed and other comforts with us while we play tourist, whether in the national parks or in big cities such as Washington DC. It has turned out that we usually have electric sites (maybe 80% of the time) and making easy meals is a priority. We love our microwave and use it absolutely every day that we have electric power. All I can say is, don't be too quick to cross the microwave option off your Escape build list. --Liz
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I love the microwave in my trailer, wouldn't give it up. Great place to store bread, chips, cookies, etc. too...obviously not when in use
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Love our oven. Have not used it too much yet; but it is ready and waiting when we do use it. We have the big fridge also and still have a ton of storage space. In fact I would have a hard time filling up the space we have, and have no regrets giving up some storage space for the oven and fridge.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 19'
Hi. I really want to have the oven in the 19'. My problem is that adding the oven causes the small amount of available counter space to shrink even more. Has anyone come up with any customizing ideas to add the oven and still retain some counter space in the galley area?

I realize that there is the folding counter extension by the door, and the table is extra counter space. In my ideal vision, I would also have usable counter space in the main galley area too. I think it's not possible, but just throwing the question out there. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #35

If I'm not mistaken but the oven with the 3 range cooktop may not take up any more space than the 3 range cooktop widthwise. It may be deeper. In addition there is a nice built in bifold matching cover over the stove/oven combo. Closed you will have that for counter space.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Has anyone come up with any customizing ideas to add the oven and still retain some counter space in the galley area?
It is not THE oven that Escape supplies, but my BBQ works great for baking. We did a small chicken, and it worked great. We have baked a few other things too. I have used a griddle for re-directing heat, but someone mentions something like a pizza stone which I want to try. Not only does this potentially free up a bit of counter space, but gives you a horde more storage. It also takes a lot of excess heat outside. I think the biggest downfall would be that it likely uses more fuel, being not insulated.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is not THE oven that Escape supplies, but my BBQ works great for baking. We did a small chicken, and it worked great. We have baked a few other things too. I have used a griddle for re-directing heat, but someone mentions something like a pizza stone which I want to try. Not only does this potentially free up a bit of counter space, but gives you a horde more storage. It also takes a lot of excess heat outside. I think the biggest downfall would be that it likely uses more fuel, being not insulated.
I think a BBQ may be added to our equipment. We have a propane Coleman oven, which is the size of a toaster oven, we use it often and it works fantastic. My idea for the built in oven is just to have options down the road depending on where we're at and how our needs change (on a side note, I think I've read that to use the external gas connection on the trailer, you have to remove the pressure regulator on your bbq line?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I'm not mistaken but the oven with the 3 range cooktop may not take up any more space than the 3 range cooktop widthwise. It may be deeper. In addition there is a nice built in bifold matching cover over the stove/oven combo. Closed you will have that for counter space.
Thanks for the reply, Jim. I was hoping that the range/oven combo unit would be the same width as the plain 3 burner range. Sadly, when you get the whole enchilada with the stovetop and oven as a single unit, it's a couple inches wider. That further decreases the prime (for me, anyway) counter area between the range and sink.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
I think a BBQ may be added to our equipment. We have a propane Coleman oven, which is the size of a toaster oven, we use it often and it works fantastic. My idea for the built in oven is just to have options down the road depending on where we're at and how our needs change (on a side note, I think I've read that to use the external gas connection on the trailer, you have to remove the pressure regulator on your bbq line?)
I don't think cooking needs would change much later on. The only thing I wonder about once I retire and longer trips is will I bring more stuff. We much prefer cooking outside whenever possible. And you are right about the external low pressure gas connection, you do have to remove the regulator on the appliance to use. For my Dikensen BBQ, they replace the regulator/control unit with a simple volume control.