Oven questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We don't have an oven, and in a trailer this size we didn't think we could give up the storage space for it, especially since we were already giving up storage space to have the microwave.

Somehow we're always on the go and it's at least 8 p.m. by the time we make supper. By then we're too tired for recipes or baking anyway. I am rather jealous of you off-the-grid types whom I picture lounging around the campsite a lot.

For us, camping is mostly a way to bring our own bed and other comforts with us while we play tourist, whether in the national parks or in big cities such as Washington DC. It has turned out that we usually have electric sites (maybe 80% of the time) and making easy meals is a priority. We love our microwave and use it absolutely every day that we have electric power. All I can say is, don't be too quick to cross the microwave option off your Escape build list. --Liz

Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I love the microwave in my trailer, wouldn't give it up. Great place to store bread, chips, cookies, etc. too...obviously not when in use

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Love our oven. Have not used it too much yet; but it is ready and waiting when we do use it. We have the big fridge also and still have a ton of storage space. In fact I would have a hard time filling up the space we have, and have no regrets giving up some storage space for the oven and fridge.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 19'
Hi. I really want to have the oven in the 19'. My problem is that adding the oven causes the small amount of available counter space to shrink even more. Has anyone come up with any customizing ideas to add the oven and still retain some counter space in the galley area?

I realize that there is the folding counter extension by the door, and the table is extra counter space. In my ideal vision, I would also have usable counter space in the main galley area too. I think it's not possible, but just throwing the question out there. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
If I'm not mistaken but the oven with the 3 range cooktop may not take up any more space than the 3 range cooktop widthwise. It may be deeper. In addition there is a nice built in bifold matching cover over the stove/oven combo. Closed you will have that for counter space.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Has anyone come up with any customizing ideas to add the oven and still retain some counter space in the galley area?
It is not THE oven that Escape supplies, but my BBQ works great for baking. We did a small chicken, and it worked great. We have baked a few other things too. I have used a griddle for re-directing heat, but someone mentions something like a pizza stone which I want to try. Not only does this potentially free up a bit of counter space, but gives you a horde more storage. It also takes a lot of excess heat outside. I think the biggest downfall would be that it likely uses more fuel, being not insulated.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is not THE oven that Escape supplies, but my BBQ works great for baking. We did a small chicken, and it worked great. We have baked a few other things too. I have used a griddle for re-directing heat, but someone mentions something like a pizza stone which I want to try. Not only does this potentially free up a bit of counter space, but gives you a horde more storage. It also takes a lot of excess heat outside. I think the biggest downfall would be that it likely uses more fuel, being not insulated.
I think a BBQ may be added to our equipment. We have a propane Coleman oven, which is the size of a toaster oven, we use it often and it works fantastic. My idea for the built in oven is just to have options down the road depending on where we're at and how our needs change (on a side note, I think I've read that to use the external gas connection on the trailer, you have to remove the pressure regulator on your bbq line?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I'm not mistaken but the oven with the 3 range cooktop may not take up any more space than the 3 range cooktop widthwise. It may be deeper. In addition there is a nice built in bifold matching cover over the stove/oven combo. Closed you will have that for counter space.
Thanks for the reply, Jim. I was hoping that the range/oven combo unit would be the same width as the plain 3 burner range. Sadly, when you get the whole enchilada with the stovetop and oven as a single unit, it's a couple inches wider. That further decreases the prime (for me, anyway) counter area between the range and sink.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
I think a BBQ may be added to our equipment. We have a propane Coleman oven, which is the size of a toaster oven, we use it often and it works fantastic. My idea for the built in oven is just to have options down the road depending on where we're at and how our needs change (on a side note, I think I've read that to use the external gas connection on the trailer, you have to remove the pressure regulator on your bbq line?)
I don't think cooking needs would change much later on. The only thing I wonder about once I retire and longer trips is will I bring more stuff. We much prefer cooking outside whenever possible. And you are right about the external low pressure gas connection, you do have to remove the regulator on the appliance to use. For my Dikensen BBQ, they replace the regulator/control unit with a simple volume control.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote