Oven questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: none yet
Oven questions

Lots of decisions about our 21. I am thinking about ordering the propane oven and forgetting about a microwave. Considerations are no need for electric hookup compared to microwave. I don't even think there will be less storage, since pots/pans can be kept in the oven. Baking when cold weather camping could be very nice ( wont bake in the summer weather - wood fired Dutch oven cooking then ).

Wondering:
1) does the oven use much propane?
2) does the oven take long to preheat?
I am thinking "no" to both questions - since it is a small space to heat. Am I correct?

3) how/where does the oven vent? Does operation necessitate open windows?
4) any other concerns/advantages?

Thanks everyone.

ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
How it works for us is that we opted to not have a microwave for a few reasons. 1) It would get little use as we are rarely on the grid. 2) More cost, though this really is not a big deal 3) There really is not much need for it, as there is many better alternative ways to cook. 4) We wanted the storage space it would take up for use as our pantry, and are very glad we did. All the food easily accessible, and right in the kitchen area. The only negative I can see is if I let my coffee get cold, I have to heat it in a pan.

As far as an oven goes, and again this is just for our way of camping, we really did not want one. Again, it takes up space, and I really would not want my pots and pans banging around in there. Again, there are many other ways of baking which can all be done outside. We had an oven in our last trailer for 13 years, and used it twice.

There are SO many good things to cook and bake just using the fire, stove and BBQ that in no way do we feel lacking for another cooking device.

BUT, if you really enjoy baking, and plan to do a lot, then by all means get one. We all have different styles of RVing.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The only negative I can see is if I let my coffee get cold, I have to heat it in a pan.
I can't believe that, you, of all people would reheat coffee in a microwave, or in a pan. Good grief!

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I can't believe that, you, of all people would reheat coffee in a microwave, or in a pan. Good grief!
I would prefer not to, but rather than waste it............
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett; [B]The only negative I can see is if I let my coffee get cold, I have to heat it in a pan. [/B]

^This is sacrilegious letting coffee get cold however, if you do then you just put some ice in it and tada!!! Ice Coffee move on with the day. :}

Cypherian

IMG956185.jpg
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We use an Auropress with our better coffee (self roasted). With good coffee I find it tastes good even when cooled down. But our everyday coffee gets reheated in the microwave frequently when we are busy.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oven

Hi Ajay,
We have the oven in our 19 and have used it numerous times with good results. But there are some limitations that you should be aware of. First to your questions:

1: Hard to tell on the gas issue but not really a concern as it does not stay on too long.

2: Heats quite quickly and maintains a good temp, i.e. we have measured the temp with an oven thermometer and it was very close to the dial setting.

3: Vents back into the trailer at the back of the stove. No open windows but the ceiling fan and/or stove fan will help dissipate heat/fumes.

4: MAIN ISSUE: The actual usable size is very small (see photo). You will not be able to store much in it nor will you be able to cook dishes in tall pans. The actual useable cooking height is just under 5". The burner is just under the metal piece with the holes (at the top of the 4.25") and why this is not closer to the bottom I have no idea. We have made meat loaf and pizzas w/o any problem. It is also a pain to light.

That said it is nice to have but not quite what I was expecting, at least size wise. If you get it just don't plan on storing much in it or cooking that Thanksgiving turkey!

Hope this helps,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.JPG (223.3 KB, 37 views)
Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3L, 4x4
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
cooking that Thanksgiving turkey!
That's what the deep fryer is for.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Since I prefer to use my trailer when it is warm, the additional heat of an inside oven didn't fit my style of camping. I also skipped the microwave. Instead I have a large toaster oven (a Crusinart TOB 155) that fits a 12" pan. I've baked pies, roasted a chicken or small rib roast as well as home made pizza.

Of course I have to have hookups to use it, but it heats the outdoors, and I plan meals around the availability of AC. I do most of my cooking outside on a Coleman combined grill and one burner stove. I do have a small aluminum oven that sits on the stove burner that lets me make a couple of biscuits...
Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Steve's answers are great. All RV gas ovens have similar space problems - with the burner placed where it needs to be, there isn't a big space left above it. My problem with mine (three, none in an Escape) is that they require manual lighting of the pilot, which is annoying to do down there, and essentially impossible for my wife... definitely a place for direct spark ignition like modern furnaces, water heaters, and refrigerators have.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote