Over Door Shelf - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron , Got one for you especially since I am not good with electrical but can follow directions and drawings . What does it take to move the carbon , gas detector ? Where do you wire it too ? I know there is wasted space under the heater . Help Pat
Thank you, thank you, thank you for asking. I opened the door under the counter end to refresh my memory of what power source I tapped into and found a little day wallet with 80 bucks in it that my wife must have tucked in there and forgotten. Whoa, 80 bucks of mad money.

There are a pair of wires that run up near the door frame that are accessible to tap into. Cutting a hole in that paneling is easy. Could just use a hacksaw blade.

You can see from the photo that there's a comfortable amount of space for it. Use the small piece of horizontal wood as a guide so that the bottom edge of the propane detector is on top of it.

Whoa, 80 bucks of mad money, the best kind of money, what can I spend it on?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
22-05-2016 3-18-11 PM_0001_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you for asking. I opened the door under the counter end to refresh my memory of what power source I tapped into and found a little day wallet with 80 bucks in it that my wife must have tucked in there and forgotten. Whoa, 80 bucks of mad money.

There are a pair of wires that run up near the door frame that are accessible to tap into. Cutting a hole in that paneling is easy. Could just use a hacksaw blade.

You can see from the photo that there's a comfortable amount of space for it. Use the small piece of horizontal wood as a guide so that the bottom edge of the propane detector is on top of it.

Whoa, 80 bucks of mad money, the best kind of money, what can I spend it on?

Ron
Ron glad I could help . Spend it wisely ! I will look at your picture again where you put detector . I can't open side where you did . Is the drain pipe running straight down like your pictures or I thought you had removed it out of the way ? Are there just 2 wires ? Hot and ground ? Just splice into those 2wires? I can cut with my Rockwell oscillating tool ? Cut a hole and I have a inspection camera to take a look ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #23

Ah well, easy come, easy go. Showed my wife my find and she reached out and said "thanks for finding it" and then it was gone.

If you open the left lower door under the sink you'll find an end panel blocking off the finished area from the space where the pipes are. It's only attached with a couple of staples and maybe a dab of glue. The top is open. Pull and gently work it back and forth and you can remove it without destroying it. That lets you look into the area in question and gives you a better sense of what's there.

Yes, I did move the vertical black pipe. Markvt also moved his a different way. It depends on how you want to utilize the space.

Yes, 12 volt wiring with red and black wires. Red is +. I tapped into wires by the door and put spade connectors on the CO detector so that it could be easily disconnected if it developed a fault or needed replacement.

Ron
Old 05-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Ah well, easy come, easy go. Showed my wife my find and she reached out and said "thanks for finding it" and then it was gone.

If you open the left lower door under the sink you'll find an end panel blocking off the finished area from the space where the pipes are. It's only attached with a couple of staples and maybe a dab of glue. The top is open. Pull and gently work it back and forth and you can remove it without destroying it. That lets you look into the area in question and gives you a better sense of what's there.

Yes, I did move the vertical black pipe. Markvt also moved his a different way. It depends on how you want to utilize the space.

Yes, 12 volt wiring with red and black wires. Red is +. I tapped into wires by the door and put spade connectors on the CO detector so that it could be easily disconnected if it developed a fault or needed replacement.

Ron
Sorry Ron I am sure she will put it to good use though . I see the paneling piece there and that looks like a good plan so I can judge better where to cut . What do you think if I removed the panel there at the bottom and made better food storage that is over the wheel wells ? In other words it would be stepped up because of wheel wells ? I really don't need to mess with the plumbing . Do not have long "fishing poles "to put in there . Great idea to make detector easy to change out . It is a good placement right for detector ? Under heater same deal with wheel wells there ? Gas line is in there too and wires ? Will I need to move those ? Sorry for all the questions but you were richer for a few minutes . It's ok if you don't get back to me until later . Pat
Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #25

Pat, look this up under "modifications and alterations". It's Markvt's write-up of doing the things you are contemplating. The thread is "kitchen side wheel well cabinet completion", 03-13-215.

He did a first class job. Two things; one, it isn't necessary to use the sheet metal tops on the wheel wells. He did so to make a first class carpet job but that step could be omitted. He moved the gas line under the furnace. I didn't. It's where I keep my tool bag etc. and I just ignore it. I think that there were a couple of wires that I just spliced in some extra length so that I could move them out of the way. So, not necessary to move the gas line.

Ron
Old 05-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Pat, look this up under "modifications and alterations". It's Markvt's write-up of doing the things you are contemplating. The thread is "kitchen side wheel well cabinet completion", 03-13-215.

He did a first class job. Two things; one, it isn't necessary to use the sheet metal tops on the wheel wells. He did so to make a first class carpet job but that step could be omitted. He moved the gas line under the furnace. I didn't. It's where I keep my tool bag etc. and I just ignore it. I think that there were a couple of wires that I just spliced in some extra length so that I could move them out of the way. So, not necessary to move the gas line.

Ron
Thanks Ron for your speedy answers . Will check out . Pat