P/U Storage Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
P/U Storage Box

Storage Box Solution for locking tailgate P/U

I had a hard time finding an aluminum box that would fit the gas grill, generator, and fire bowl so I built my own. Its been used for a few trips now and works perfectly for my needs. There’s still room for two Pelican kayaks to be jammed nose first into the front of the truck box and they sit on the plywood box at the back.
Pros: cheap, simple to fabricate, custom fit for truck and storage needs, easy access, almost invisible at a casual glance, easy to install and remove for travel, and probably just as secure as an aluminum box.
Cons: takes a while to design something that will fit all the toys and fit tightly into the P/U box, not watertight (but adequate), only as secure as the tailgate lock.
1. Fabricate blocks to fit over the tie down brackets in pickup box. (note 3” holes in photo).
2. Make them thick enough to make them flush with the frame for the tailgate and add anchor plates to receive bolts from the ends of the storage box.
3. Slide storage box into position and fasten with 4 bolts.
4. Load storage box with junk you can’t part with and close tailgate.
5. Ready to travel. Access to the middle section of the P/U is fairly easy by climbing up on the tailgate and then stepping over the storage box.
To upgrade this project, consider doing it in aluminum, steel, or fiberglass over plywood. Also consider adding a good shackle point for locking up a generator.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Nice job, you'll be making those for all your friends
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote