Paint the cabinets? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Paint the cabinets?

I have seen several posts from people who do not care for the "outdated" oak cabinets. Has anyone painted theirs? I kind of like white painted cabinets with wood stained drawers.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I have seen several posts from people who do not care for the "outdated" oak cabinets.
One thing that's certain about fashion: if you wait, it will change. If you chase fashions, you might as well build the interior from the cheapest materials you can find, because you'll be throwing them out anyway long before good materials need replacement for any functional reason.

I say buy whatever you like and if you want refinish your trailer with whatever makes you happy... whether it is fashionable this year, was fashionable a decade ago, or never was a popular fashion. Especially if it is not what the fashion police say you "need" to do.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The cabinet doors could definitely be painted, but the rest of the wood because it's a covered pressboard type material probably wouldn't do well long term with paint.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
For me, oak is classic, and doesn't go out of style. But, style is certainly subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Thanks for the info.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My thoughts: I'm not wild about that oak interior, primarily because oak is so commercially common. In an idle moment have even thought (very carefully) about painting. I do like to paint. It's nice to be able to stamp your own individual taste on your stuff.

To me the Escape interior remains a pleasantly neutral place. Have concluded painting it would be a disaster greatly regretted, a really crazy idea. It ain't broke, so why take the big risk of trying to fix it? Too much trim to consider. Too much masking. You would need to prime it first. Too much chance for a sloppy brush job, and you know everything, once painted, will inevitably require a re-painting.

I say let that sleeping dog lie.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
In 15 to 20 yrs when the inside of my 19' starts to show some wear, I will begin considering some longer term plans to paint and update the interior of my Escape. Until then (and as Donna D likes to say), I will love the one that I'm with.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Like Myron in one of my crazy moments I was going to think about vinyl decaling the interior. Then I got crunching numbers and they said forget it.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It's nice to be able to stamp your own individual taste on your stuff.

That you manage to do anyway Myron. I think you should redo the whole interior with that beautiful purple heart wood you used before. That would really make it one of a kind.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
In 15 to 20 yrs when the inside of my 19' starts to show some wear, I will begin considering some longer term plans to paint and update the interior of my Escape. Until then (and as Donna D likes to say), I will love the one that I'm with.
I have to agree. When I see a trailer with a painted interior I think of it as something people do with older trailers to refresh the interior.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm not wild about the oak either but its in wonderful shape i'm the second owner and not a mark on it. I like paint but it always chips - i agree with the comments above I will paint it when /if it looks old and damaged but it looks nice now bright and neutral I'll add color with other items.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
I Painted our new casita and loved it. I don't think I will tackle that in the escape. Don't know why,but kind of afraid to cover that much area. I'll figure out some way to make it ours.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
check this out. Sarah painted her walls a robins egg blue and her cabinets a yellow orange. Looks really sharp. https://sarandipitytravels.com
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote