Passing 120V AC power cord into 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Passing 120V AC power cord into 21'

I had been threatening to do this for some time and finally did it. I drilled out a manufacturing plug on the bottom rear corner on the driver side (first photo) just big enough to squeeze an extension cord cable through (leaving male end on the outside; second photo) and wired a female receptacle to the cord on the inside under the dinette seat. Purpose? To run a dehumidifier inside the camper without having to power up the camper's entire electrical system. I know others have accomplished this same thing in other ways, but this worked for me. Only thing that slowed me down was fishing the cable around a little bit where it entered the cabin. I think ETI says this hole is not supposed to be used as a weep hole and should remain plugged, but the snug-fitting cord now serves as the plug (really snug fitting to keep ants and bugs out).
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09806a.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	39611

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00495.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	39610
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did something similar so that I can use my 30 amp set up inside without pulling out the heavy cord. But this can be used separately for your purpose, also.
Attached Thumbnails
61As-D2mbuL._SL1500_.jpg   IMG_0767.jpg  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did something similar so that I can use my 30 amp set up inside without pulling out the heavy cord. But this can be used separately for your purpose, also.
Jim, I saw your post a few days back on another thread (nice job), and that's what finally inspired me to do mine (that and the rising Summer humidity down here). I didn't want to cut a hole through my hatch when I already had a small plugged hole in the hull big enough for a 15 amp cord when that's all I needed to run my dehumidifier.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I had been threatening to do this for some time and finally did it. I drilled out a manufacturing plug on the bottom rear corner on the driver side (first photo) just big enough to squeeze an extension cord cable through (leaving male end on the outside; second photo) and wired a female receptacle to the cord on the inside under the dinette seat. Purpose? To run a dehumidifier inside the camper without having to power up the camper's entire electrical system. I know others have accomplished this same thing in other ways, but this worked for me. Only thing that slowed me down was fishing the cable around a little bit where it entered the cabin. I think ETI says this hole is not supposed to be used as a weep hole and should remain plugged, but the snug-fitting cord now serves as the plug (really snug fitting to keep ants and bugs out).
Attachment 39611

Attachment 39610

What will you do with the cord when you drive down the road? Let it dangle? Remove it and otherwise fill the hole?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
What will you do with the cord when you drive down the road? Let it dangle? Remove it and otherwise fill the hole?
I left the outside pigtail long enough to tuck it behind and secure it to the sewer hose storage tube. Other than that, I'd like to find a cap for the plug to help minimize potential corrosion of the exposed brass contact blades.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

Trailer: ?
A simple cap.

Wrap the plug in aluminum foil. I do that with padlocks that are exposed to the weather.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What am I missing here with adding a 15A service cord? I have never had a bit of trouble with the 30A one I was supplied with on any trailer. I do carry a 15A to 30A adaptor for places (like my drive) with only a 15A service.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What am I missing here with adding a 15A service cord? I have never had a bit of trouble with the 30A one I was supplied with on any trailer. I do carry a 15A to 30A adaptor for places (like my drive) with only a 15A service.
I think we've already discussed this in a previous thread, but we have the detachable 30A cord, and whatever cord I use will stretch across our driveway from outlet to camper and be exposed to our intense Southern sun and other elements. I don't want to be driving over our nice 30A cord or have to disconnect and re-connect it every time a vehicle comes or goes, and I don't want to leave the 30A cord exposed to the elements any more than necessary. On the other hand, I don't mind driving over a relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable 15A extension cord nor leaving it out in the elements. I, too, have a 15A to 30A adaptor that can be attached at the camper for use with a regular extension cord, but using that involves activating the whole EMS, which I don't want to do if not necessary. Anyway if all that is not sufficient justification, then I just wanted to do it, and that's good enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09349.jpg