Patandlinda Escape 19 modifications - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, I understand the laminate floats. The Allure floats too, but a different product. Not laminate but vinyl. The grip-strip of the Allure turns it into basically one vinyl sheet when complete. Framing all the way around just keeps it from coming up along the edge, and it still has room to expand and contract. The framing isn't attached to the floor, but the walls. It's not supposed to be adhesed or caulked anywhere.

My question has more to do with the floor thickness, and whether removing the existing vinyl before installing would help that. As a side note, Allure is much thinner than laminate flooring.
Hi Robert . No I put Allure on top of original flooring . I'm thinking the original flooring is not as thick as the Allure . You may find you still need to cut and it will be a lot harder because it will be a smaller thinner cut , which already is the not a big cut . Just my thought . I put the new corner moulding on top of Allure .I nailed through to cabinets not flooring . You still have to reinstall your Springfield pedestal which is screwed down and your edge also . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
Very nice! Looks beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankyou . A new look . Originally we just went with Escape's choices in flooring , fabric and counters . Knowing it all could be changed later . Pat
Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Robert . No I put Allure on top of original flooring . I'm thinking the original flooring is not as thick as the Allure . You may find you still need to cut and it will be a lot harder because it will be a smaller thinner cut , which already is the not a big cut . Just my thought . I put the new corner moulding on top of Allure .I nailed through to cabinets not flooring . You still have to reinstall your Springfield pedestal which is screwed down and your edge also . Pat
OK, all things considered, it might be easier to just lay it on top of the vinyl then. Maybe a side benefit is that with the floor covering being two layers, it'll insulate a bit better as well. Thanks for the info Pat.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #44

Quote:
OK, all things considered, it might be easier to just lay it on top of the vinyl then. Maybe a side benefit is that with the floor covering being two layers, it'll insulate a bit better as well. Thanks for the info Pat.
having 2 layers is a thought I had too , since I removed the carpeting . Hate cold floors . Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My personal experience is that I have never been successful at removing the vinyl flooring and underlying adhesive during home renovations without damaging the underlying plywood. In every instance where I removed the vinyl, the adhesive has either left a rough surface on the plywood or the plywood has come up in splinters, and I have ended up having to replace the plywood subfloor also. With that in mind, if I was to install new Allure or similar flooring in my Escape, I would simply save myself some grief and install over top of the existing vinyl flooring, with a subsequent small loss in headroom within the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When I put the cork in my 19, I removed the vinyl. It came out easy peasy, and saved a few pounds. It also allowed me to float a wee bit of levelling compound in a couple spots too, though not absolutely necessary.

As one who does renovations for a living, it is almost always a source of grief when someone abandons a previous finish below the surface of the new, if easily removed.

I took out my sliding screen door. It was not that difficult to do. I also replaced the corner and floor trims with real oak, just because I could.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #47
Site Team

Now there you go again Jim...making me go and rethink and flip flop...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #48

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Thankyou . A new look . Originally we just went with Escape's choices in flooring , fabric and counters . Knowing it all could be changed later . Pat
Yeah, gotta change that fabric, huh? Some nice colors that reflect the seashore and all that. Like turquoise!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Now there you go again Jim...making me go and rethink and flip flop...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Your choice Robert . Our floors are almost new and you already have a nice base to work from. Sometimes doing more work then necessary comes with a lot more problems you weren't anticipationg . Cutting the little, following the screen manufacturer directions really wasn't hard to do . For me if for any reason I have to remove the Allure , the original is still there and would do until I do something else . Get out there and put your new floor in . You will love it . Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, gotta change that fabric, huh? Some nice colors that reflect the seashore and all that. Like turquoise!
I know Laura . Linda hates the cushion 's material . Since I am still on the fence with the solar , the money I saved for the solar may go to new material . It did put a smile on her face when I said that . Also I have been informed except for the new material for the cushions , there will not be any more upgrades to this trailer . I have been put on notice . Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #51

Quote:
I know Laura . Linda hates the cushion 's material . Since I am still on the fence with the solar , the money I saved for the solar may go to new material . It did put a smile on her face when I said that . Also I have been informed except for the new material for the cushions , there will not be any more upgrades to this trailer . I have been put on notice . Pat
Laura she loves the idea of Turquoise! Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Get out there and put your new floor in . You will love it . Pat
I'm sure I will, but that's not gonna happen for a few months Pat. The trailer is in a storage yard with NO power to run the AC. I'm a wimp who has no desire to lose a 20lb bucket of sweat installing a floor. I'll wait till it cools off - say October.

Sure gonna be nice once we have our new place built and an RV garage right on the property. Can't wait.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #53

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
I know Laura . Linda hates the cushion's material . Since I am still on the fence with the solar , the money I saved for the solar may go to new material . It did put a smile on her face when I said that . Also I have been informed except for the new material for the cushions , there will not be any more upgrades to this trailer . I have been put on notice . Pat
Start shopping!

I understand why some folks get it as it does cost more to change it out, but OMG, it's like a 70's mushroom trip. Not that I ever went on one of those. Nope, I don't recall that ever happening.

Quote:
Laura she loves the idea of Turquoise! Pat
Well, duh!

So, who picked the flooring? Let Linda pick the fabric. You won't mind whatever she chooses cuz if it makes her happy, it'll make you happy.

Throw in some spiffy beach/water/sailing themed pillows and you're good to go.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Except when I've pulled out carpet, I've put Allure on top of the existing vinyl if it's in good shape. I've redone 5 trailers now with the Allure and it works great right over the vinyl. If there are any sub-floor minor imperfections, you'll never know it when the Allure is installed. I bring it about 1/4 to 1/8 inch to wall and then shoot quarter round into cabinet which allows any expansion, but never been an issue. I do lift the benches and go wall to wall where possible as well. This product is so easy to work with you'll be amazed. Just keep the seams as tight as possible when installing.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #55

Quote:
I'm sure I will, but that's not gonna happen for a few months Pat. The trailer is in a storage yard with NO power to run the AC. I'm a wimp who has no desire to lose a 20lb bucket of sweat installing a floor. I'll wait till it cools off - say October.

Sure gonna be nice once we have our new place built and an RV garage right on the property. Can't wait.
I hear you about the heat . Luckily our trailer is right outside in the driveway . You will love when you can go in your trailer anytime you want . When I was doing our flooring it was very hot here too. I worked early in the morning or in the evening , it was miserable working conditions . That , small space , knees took a little longer but it's done . I need to get a 30 amp circuit to hook trailer to so I could of run the AC . I just had fans blowing . Oct. sounds like a plan . Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #56

Couldn't you run your genset, Pat? I setup the generator at the storage lot and fire up the AC and outlets for my tools and work away.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Start shopping!

I understand why some folks get it as it does cost more to change it out, but OMG, it's like a 70's mushroom trip. Not that I ever went on one of those. Nope, I don't recall that ever happening.

Well, duh!

So, who picked the flooring? Let Linda pick the fabric. You won't mind whatever she chooses cuz if it makes her happy, it'll make you happy.

Throw in some spiffy beach/water/sailing themed pillows and you're good to go.
Laura you are still surprising us ! guess what I picked the floor . Material will be Linda though and pillows .like the idea's . Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Couldn't you run your genset, Pat? I setup the generator at the storage lot and fire up the AC and outlets for my tools and work away.
Greg generator is only 1000 watt . She is like the truck 25 years old . She is metal and works like a champ but won"t run the AC . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0284.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #59

Ah, OK. I've got the WEN 2000i which I get from Woot and goes on sale every now and then for $380. I can't tell any difference operationally between the WEN and the Honda 2000.
The WEN runs the AC and everything, good genset. I'll let you know if they put it up if Linda's trailer spending moratorium is over by then.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ah, OK. I've got the WEN 2000i which I get from Woot and goes on sale every now and then for $380. I can't tell any difference operationally between the WEN and the Honda 2000.
The WEN runs the AC and everything, good genset. I'll let you know if they put it up if Linda's trailer spending moratorium is over by then.
Shhh let me know ! The Honda works great though . Can't see but even has a chrome cap for gas . No plastic . Truthfully just did a brake overall yesterday . Brake booster , wheel cylinders , master cylinder , flush . Next week differential pinion leak needs fixed . Hope that is it . And all my up grades .Linda is actually right about the spending brakes being put on . I am getting a little crazy here . I did save a bunch though with the 1/4 round birch moulding . Found someone accidentally lost on the road years ago and I picked it up , saved some money there . Pat