Patandlinda Escape modifications - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #201

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Nice...
Thankyou ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Nice, Pat. That'll be very handy.
Thankyou . Pat
Old 11-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Smart, Pat! I'd thought about doing that to my van but decided it would add more weight than I can afford so will wait and do what you've done if/when I get a truck. Thanks for sharing your photos!
Thankyou Ava . Pat
Old 11-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #204

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Patandlinda, if your dealer gave you the typical "rat fur" carpeting material to line your cap with, you will almost certainly be using some brand of contact cement to adhere it to the ceiling and walls. I want to offer a word of caution-- all of the better contact cements contain acetone and other very toxic and flammable solvents, so be very careful to follow the directions regarding ventilation and protection from ignition sources when applying the stuff. It works well, but failure to follow directions could be dangerous.

Your wood work looks really nice. I wish I could do as well. If you decide to carpet the top of the wood work, you might want to look into a product called Bed Rug at www.bedrug.com. You can get it in flat sheets and cut it to fit your project. I bought some for the bed of my truck and have been using it for three years. It is soft, non-slippery and very tough. It's a closed cell foam with a fibrous top that feels like a back packer's sleeping pad. I haul fire wood, chain saws and all kinds of tools on mine, then just lift it out and wash it with a pressure washer to clean it. Just set it on edge and it drains and dries in an hour on a sunny day. I also sleep on it when going light and camping in remote locations.

Some car dealerships and auto parts stores carry it and have samples you can check out. That's how I learned about it.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:59 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Patandlinda, if your dealer gave you the typical "rat fur" carpeting material to line your cap with, you will almost certainly be using some brand of contact cement to adhere it to the ceiling and walls. I want to offer a word of caution-- all of the better contact cements contain acetone and other very toxic and flammable solvents, so be very careful to follow the directions regarding ventilation and protection from ignition sources when applying the stuff. It works well, but failure to follow directions could be dangerous.

Your wood work looks really nice. I wish I could do as well. If you decide to carpet the top of the wood work, you might want to look into a product called Bed Rug at www.bedrug.com. You can get it in flat sheets and cut it to fit your project. I bought some for the bed of my truck and have been using it for three years. It is soft, non-slippery and very tough. It's a closed cell foam with a fibrous top that feels like a back packer's sleeping pad. I haul fire wood, chain saws and all kinds of tools on mine, then just lift it out and wash it with a pressure washer to clean it. Just set it on edge and it drains and dries in an hour on a sunny day. I also sleep on it when going light and camping in remote locations.

Some car dealerships and auto parts stores carry it and have samples you can check out. That's how I learned about it.
Thankyou George . My brother always gets the bed rugs for his trucks. Very nice . Instead of carpeting the wood ,going to put finish on for some protection .The ply is 3/4 pine and pretty nice from Home Depot . The crappy ply is what I already had for the bottoms, regular ply 1/2 in . I found out about this pine ply from UTube Solid Wood Worx pretty smooth , strong and cuts very nice ply . My main reason for the shell and drawers was having items secured . Places for water containers, gen if I bring etc. not having to climb in there unless absolutely necessary .
Ok the carpet he gave me was the material used as option for fiberglass shells . The shell is a 1993 snug top I was lucky to get for our truck but I want to cover the fiberglass . Never have done this before . I do have glasses and respirator . I saw some instruction video’s on utube . But I am not confident yet . I think I will practice on some wood first . Thank goodness the shell has sliders . This shell is 8 ft like the truck bed specially for our Ford bed . So definitely will make sure on the ventilation .
Hopefully everything we carry gets a storage spot . That’s the plan anyway . Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #206

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your organized way for storage reminds me of the George Carlin and his "stuff" routine..
Old 11-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #207

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Looks great Pat. Great ideas are universal, I did a similar installation in the back of my 4Runner in September.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #208

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Great idea,
I have issues with the heap of stuff that goes in the back of the pickup.
The item I want is always at the front and usually under something else.
The sliding drawers would eliminate a lot of the clutter, and help organization
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #209

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Pat, the first two pics are truck bed w step stool, the third one is close up of a drawer. The rest of the pics look great, too.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #210

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Pat, I've glued in a similar product in places like the Vee berth in a boat. As has been said, the fumes are pretty bad.

What I do now in similar situations is take a box fan or whatever you call those large fans in a square metal box and have it blasting fresh air in my direction.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your organized way for storage reminds me of the George Carlin and his "stuff" routine..
Your funny Jim ! Absolutely love George Carlin ! Don’t worry Jim really not a big carrier of stuff . There are 2 cubbies on either side up front for things like a little jack which did come in handy once for a site that was terrible , seldom used but you better have if needed . The drawer is for the chairs , rugs , the Blackstone of courses ,shovel Maybe the portable solar panel . The 3 doors which are on other side with a slide . Because the truck is like me , old ,I do carry some oil, antifreeze which once on highway 20 from a broken hose needed , ended up 200 worth but had family along and son-in-law law fixed for us . The middle door will hold which is right over axle 20 extra gal of water if boondocking . The front door will hold our little generator if we bring along . Made doors to accommodate what ever the situation is . If I don’t bring water or generator the doors fold down for platform . That’s about all we carry but a pain to tie everything down and climb up there . Also because our bed is 8 ft , just made about 6 4in so there is a space in front for the little ladder , cooler or dog pen . The truck is a f250 , used to carry our camper for 12 years .
I decided against slides because they are very expensive and used floor wax on the bottoms of drawer and slide .
So can’t wait to go somewhere and try things out and if needed make adjustments . Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Looks great Pat. Great ideas are universal, I did a similar installation in the back of my 4Runner in September.
Thankyou Dave ! How’s the solar ? No problem with ours . Can’t wait to go somewhere ! Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Pat, I've glued in a similar product in places like the Vee berth in a boat. As has been said, the fumes are pretty bad.

What I do now in similar situations is take a box fan or whatever you call those large fans in a square metal box and have it blasting fresh air in my direction.

Ron
Thankyou Ron ! Don’t worry I’ll be careful ! Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Great idea,
I have issues with the heap of stuff that goes in the back of the pickup.
The item I want is always at the front and usually under something else.
The sliding drawers would eliminate a lot of the clutter, and help organization
Thankyou ! Lots of video’s on utube to help you out . Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Pat, the first two pics are truck bed w step stool, the third one is close up of a drawer. The rest of the pics look great, too.
Thankyou Shannon ! Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #216

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou Dave ! How’s the solar ? No problem with ours . Can’t wait to go somewhere ! Pat
Did have to replace the dual 6V batteries in the 2013 15B at the start of the season (the batteries in the 2013 19' seem to be going strong still). The solar in both trailers seems to have worked well all this year keeping the batteries charged. Both of our trailers are stored away under covers now for the winter. We got about 1.5 ft of snow this past week so winter is definitely here. Won't be "trailering" again till April or May.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Did have to replace the dual 6V batteries in the 2013 15B at the start of the season (the batteries in the 2013 19' seem to be going strong still). The solar in both trailers seems to have worked well all this year keeping the batteries charged. Both of our trailers are stored away under covers now for the winter. We got about 1.5 ft of snow this past week so winter is definitely here. Won't be "trailering" again till April or May.
Our solar worked flawlessly when we were at Quartzite last February , our last camping trip . We were there 5 days and besides water pump, lights , refrigerator , used the heater constantly day and night . Did have to replace our batteries though on our 19 . But a good run almost 7 years so not complaining .
We are both doing good Dave with our solar ! Pat
Old 11-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #218
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I decided against slides because they are very expensive and used floor wax on the bottoms of drawer and slide .
So can’t wait to go somewhere and try things out and if needed make adjustments . Pat
Consider this super-slick 3M UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) tape on the drawers and bottom. Never have to wax again. Same stuff those white kitchen cutting boards is made from. https://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-423-...-mkt-fox-us-20

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Consider this super-slick 3M UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) tape on the drawers and bottom. Never have to wax again. Same stuff those white kitchen cutting boards is made from. https://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-423-...-mkt-fox-us-20
Thanks Charlie ! I did used something similar 3/4 in for our laundry drawer under our bed in the 19 . But this is wider and I think I will get some ! Pat
Old 11-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #220

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Interesting stuff, didn't know it existed.

I remember in the old days, before slides came into common use some folks used strips of arborite to prevent the wood from wearing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote