Patandlinda Escape modifications - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
New mods to trailer. Finally changed the hose on outside shower like we already did inside.
Also Ron finally got to on and off switch . Followed your advice on disconnected neg cable first . Now do not need to crawl under table to shut off power . Ended up 30 in further to reach Just bend down now , no more crawling on knees to reach ! Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0474.jpg   IMG_0186a.jpg   IMG_0184a.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
New mods to trailer. Finally changed the hose on outside shower like we already did inside.
Also Ron finally got to on and off switch . Followed your advice on disconnected neg cable first . Now do not need to crawl under table to shut off power . Ended up 30 in further to reach Just bend down now , no more crawling on knees to reach ! Pat
Wow didn't post pics upside down or sideways , sorry Pat
Old 11-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Wow didn't post pics upside down or sideways , sorry Pat
Fixed
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #104

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Pat I'm just in the process of installing an off and on switch in the same position. Except I'm also installing duel 12 volt batteries and my switch will also allow me to switch between the two. But that still constitutes "great minds think alike". Right? Of course right (with apologies to Fiddler On The Roof)
Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Pat I'm just in the process of installing an off and on switch in the same position. Except I'm also installing duel 12 volt batteries and my switch will also allow me to switch between the two. But that still constitutes "great minds think alike". Right? Of course right (with apologies to Fiddler On The Roof)
Good for you ! I think Ron also did your install . Pat
Old 11-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Fixed
Thankyou Donna ! Pat
Old 11-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #107

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good job Pat. Yes, so much simpler to be able to have an easy to reach disconnect switch.

Yes, I have two 12 volt batteries and use them one at a time. Except for the microwave when I use both at once. Nice to always have a battery in reserve and with the easy to reach battery switch no biggie to switch between them for individual charging and use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #108

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very nice, Pat. I really like the outside shower setup. We have the spigot attachment for it, and the stock hose sprayer. If I add the shower setup it will be like my ol Jeep with all kinds of toys to add.
I am going to add the power switch as well, but with the U dinette we have a bit better switch location, just need a better switch installed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Very nice, Pat. I really like the outside shower setup. We have the spigot attachment for it, and the stock hose sprayer. If I add the shower setup it will be like my ol Jeep with all kinds of toys to add.
I am going to add the power switch as well, but with the U dinette we have a bit better switch location, just need a better switch installed.
Thankyou Greg , the reasoning was trying to use the stiff hoses in bath and outside .don't need to explain the change to on and off . Blue Sea makes strong and sturdy shut offs for our applications . Pat
Old 03-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: Are you asking me or Iowa Dave? Either way, yes, the trailer is a negative ground system. I wouldn’t expect solar to be affected by turning off the battery isolation switch because the solar is wired directly to the battery. The on/off switch I was referring to in an earlier post is the one I see wired into the furnace circuitry by Atwood/Dometic. Might not be easy to access so that is why I suggested pulling fuse.
Thankyou Dave ! Needed to be sure . I am installing a radio in trailer and they said it needs to be a negative ground system to not damage radio . I did change to a new radio in my truck no but was positive it was negative ground but not sure about the trailer . Pat
Old 03-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Yes, the trailer is wired as a negative ground system.

As to the Victron solar controller & battery monitor, neither draws enough current to require disconnecting unless you are looking at many months of storage with no sunlight striking the panel. With my 17B & the stock Escape cover, I got enough output from the panel to keep the battery topped off all winter.

If you wish, there is no reason you cannot add a switch to disconnect the solar controller, however it is important with most controllers to also add a switch to disconnect the solar panels from the controller, and always disconnect the panels first & reconnect last. They do not like being connected to the panels without a battery.
Thankyou Jon for also responding ! Putting in a radio in trailer and needed to be sure , trailer was negative ground . Hope you are staying well and staying dry . We are getting lots of rain here . Pat
Old 03-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #112

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Pat: Since you are installing a radio I think it was Jon V. that extended wiring directly to the battery with its own inline fuse. It is annoying that anytime the battery isolation switch is flipped that you lose all your radio settings. Trust me I know. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #113

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Almost all automobiles and rv's are negative ground....
Old 03-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #114

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Yes, I did run an individually fused wire from the battery to the radio. While it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to reprogram my radio the way I like it, having to do that every time I use the disconnect switch is a PIA.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #115

Quote:
Pat: Since you are installing a radio I think it was Jon V. that extended wiring directly to the battery with its own inline fuse. It is annoying that anytime the battery isolation switch is flipped that you lose all your radio settings. Trust me I know. Just something to keep in mind.
Thanks Dave for the tip ! Pat
Old 03-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Yes, I did run an individually fused wire from the battery to the radio. While it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to reprogram my radio the way I like it, having to do that every time I use the disconnect switch is a PIA.
Thanks Jon ! Pat
Old 03-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #117

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I installed a auto stereo / CD player in our Casita and in our Escape
In both instances I put a toggle switch ahead of the radio so I could disconnect 12 VDC to the radio and eliminate a phantom load
I realize I lose my presets and time settings but I don’t use the radio as a clock and the stations I listen to at home don’t come in on the road so the presets are of little use
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In both instances I put a toggle switch ahead of the radio so I could disconnect 12 VDC to the radio and eliminate a phantom load
I realize I lose my presets and time settings but I don’t use the radio as a clock and the stations I listen to at home don’t come in on the road so the presets are of little use
Mine ( a JVC), if started cold goes into the "Display" mode, ie flashing lights and changing colors, etc. I also have some color & brightness settings, eq settings, balance, etc. I don't use the clock, but resetting all the rest is a PIA. The phantom load is around 20 milliamps, not a concern with a pair of lithium batteries.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Hi Steve . I really don’t need to worry about the batteries , because I added solar a few years back and the solar keeps the batteries charged . In fact a big drain the detector ,I don’t worry about now , I keep battery cutoff switch on all the time to turn on lights when I go in trailer if needed . Thankyou for the suggestion though ! Pat
Old 03-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #120

Quote:
Ed: Can the grounding stud connection inside the trailer affect the trailer brakes? I thought all of the wiring was straight through from the 7 pin with seaparate grounding. The only exceptions being the charge line and emergency breakaway connection.
Dave a question and I think it is ok here because it concerns that grounding post on back of converter . Can I put a stainless grounding ring on there ? It is for a amplified hidden antenna ? Pat