Planned modifications for my 19' - Page 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #161

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Very nice .....wood floors are just so nice . Really like cork as well....... might be really nice next to the oak .......
My main reason for going cork over another wood, is the warmth it provides underfoot when stood on.

I have actually considered buying sheets of cork to glue to the existing vinyl, and then finishing it with a polyurethane to save weight.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #162

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My main reason for going cork over another wood, is the warmth it provides underfoot when stood on.

I have actually considered buying sheets of cork to glue to the existing vinyl, and then finishing it with a polyurethane to save weight.
That's an interesting idea ....I wonder about the drying time considering the porosity of the cork sheets........ Would you use an indoor or outdoor urethane ?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #163

Trailer: 2012 15A
CPA Jim

I am curious about the joint where you change directions with the laminate. It slounds like you are leaving this as a floating floor. Are you concerned about the gap opening at this joint as things shift a bit with temperature and movement from traveling?

As for longer screws for the table base, you could always cut a tiny bit off the pointy end of the new screw to make it bottom out at exactly the same depth as the old screw adding allowance for the thickness of the laminate and not have to worry about going through anything below.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
That's an interesting idea ....I wonder about the drying time considering the porosity of the cork sheets........ Would you use an indoor or outdoor urethane ?
The dry/cure time of the urethane would be pretty much the same. I would just use an indoor type, as both are waterproof, and the main difference with exterior ones is the UV protection they provide which would not be needed inside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #165
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
CPA Jim

I am curious about the joint where you change directions with the laminate. It slounds like you are leaving this as a floating floor. Are you concerned about the gap opening at this joint as things shift a bit with temperature and movement from traveling?

As for longer screws for the table base, you could always cut a tiny bit off the pointy end of the new screw to make it bottom out at exactly the same depth as the old screw adding allowance for the thickness of the laminate and not have to worry about going through anything below.
I think expansion should occur transverse to the direction, I hope. Normal expansion/ contraction will happen around the long sides vs the short ends and I'm keeping one side open under the trim. That said, since I also purchased some matching caulk for the perimeter, maybe could use that for any gaps. Also these floors "lock" into each other in both directions with a male/female joint.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #166

In reality, and engineered flooring will expand and contract very little compared to solid wood. Also, the expanse is very small in a trailer which would lessen the overall movement a lot. The only downfall, and that would likely be minor, is the huge temperature swings you would see, especially in northern climates.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #167

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I was thinking of using bamboo in the house and that's a thought for the Escape. I like it so much. I think it might scratch more though? I was going to put it in a room where we don't usually wear shoes.
Actually, the bamboo is very hard - much harder than the oak I replaced it with. I have had no problems with scratching, even wearing shoes (and I'm afraid I'm not the best housekeeper). As to how long it will hold up, I can't answer - I've only had it down for around 8 months but so far it looks just like it did when it went in.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #168

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Jon, thanks. I was looking at it some more and found that the carbonized is softer. Of course, I was not considering that there is bamboo and there is bamboo, not all the same. I'm sure you have the good stuff. It's so nice.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #169

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I know I'm coming late into this conversation, but I'm interested in why you all are putting in new floors. Is this something that could be done while the trailer is being constructed?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #170

Because we can, Ruthe.

I plan on doing it for the looks, and the warmth of cork underfoot.

In the factory where they use vinyl, it is put in before any other finishing, except maybe the liner, then the cabinets are built on top. This not only is easier for them, it provides a good base inside the storage areas, and is ideal there.