Planned modifications to BlackJack…. - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #261

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks, Sandra.....
Old 07-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #262
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Maybe there's a mfg/part number molded into the bottom?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #263

Today I installed a surrogate 7 pin receptacle in my front storage box. I wired the top two pins to gather with a fuse and now when plugged in, all the exterior lights are on. Great for those night time truck rest stops for those little naps on the long drive to/fro Osoyoos. Can not miss me now while parked. Thanks to Leon for the free exchange at the Rally this year, I picked up this Hopkins receptacle. Perfect.
I'll be bringing a bunch of refrigerator stands that are new but can not be used with the plastic shelves as well as some thermometers also next year for the swap for those that have the metal shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2172.jpg   DSCN2173.jpg   DSCN2174.jpg   DSCN2175.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #264

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Today I installed a surrogate 7 pin receptacle in my front storage box. I wired the top two pins to gather with a fuse and now when plugged in, all the exterior lights are on. Great for those night time truck rest stops for those little naps on the long drive to/fro Osoyoos. Can not miss me now while parked. Thanks to Leon for the free exchange at the Rally this year, I picked up this Hopkins receptacle. Perfect.
I'll be bringing a bunch of refrigerator stands that are new but can not be used with the plastic shelves as well as some thermometers also next year for the swap for those that have the metal shelves.
So this sounds like another trip to Osoyoos ! Yay !!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #265

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Let's see a night shot.
Attached Thumbnails
DV-B062.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #266

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:

Does that mean you can stay hooked up, with vehicle lights out, and not draw from the vehicle battery? (I'm an electrical pre-schooler.)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #267

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Does that mean you can stay hooked up, with vehicle lights out, and not draw from the vehicle battery?
Yes, the wire (and fuse) connect the trailer's battery to the tail and running lights;; the tow vehicle isn't even connected (the trailer cable is plugged into this extra socket instead of into the tug).

The same thing could be done with a switch (not touching the towing cable), but that would risk leaving it on when towing - this way can't be accidentally left on when on the road.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Let's see a night shot.
How about dusk
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2178.jpg   DSCN2179.jpg   DSCN2181.jpg   DSCN2182.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #269

Okay, I installed my radio antenna today, kind of hot out there but I wanted to get-r-done. I purchased one of these Amazon.com : ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics and installed on the back window and routed the cable up into the cabinets over to my radio, plugged it in and viola, now I have clear reception.
Attached Thumbnails
41aAglSWgDL.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #270

Quote:
Okay, I installed my radio antenna today, kind of hot out there but I wanted to get-r-done. I purchased one of these ...
... and installed on the back window and routed the cable up into the cabinets over to my radio, plugged it in and viola, now I have clear reception.
Excellent! I found that when looking into your original antenna plan, and it looked promising. Thanks for the performance report.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #271
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, the wire (and fuse) connect the trailer's battery to the tail and running lights;; the tow vehicle isn't even connected (the trailer cable is plugged into this extra socket instead of into the tug).

The same thing could be done with a switch (not touching the towing cable), but that would risk leaving it on when towing - this way can't be accidentally left on when on the road.
I just added a couple of crimp-on spade connectors to a 2 ft inch piece of wire and plug it into the same two pins on the disconnected trailer cable. Since I ALWAYS check my brake controller for that "C" displayed, meaning it is connected to a trailer, it's not likely I would forget to replug the cable into the tow.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I just added a couple of crimp-on spade connectors to a 2 ft inch piece of wire and plug it into the same two pins on the disconnected trailer cable. Since I ALWAYS check my brake controller for that "C" displayed, meaning it is connected to a trailer, it's not likely I would forget to replug the cable into the tow.
That makes sense, it will work fine if used as intended, and it's certainly quick and inexpensive to make.

For many other people, there is the risk of accidentally plugging into the wrong contact. It is also not weatherproof.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #273
Commercial Member

If it's plugged into a connector (even the tow vehicle) it isn't weatherproof either as there is no seal. Just somewhat protected. Pretty much like having the trailer cable pointed straight down with the jumper plugged in. Good enough.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If it's plugged into a connector (even the tow vehicle) it isn't weatherproof either as there is no seal. Just somewhat protected. Pretty much like having the trailer cable pointed straight down with the jumper plugged in. Good enough.
Agreed
Old 08-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #275

I finished up a couple of odd jobs this week. Installed screen door handles out/in, installed the clip on the converter door. Switching the conventional round 12v charging cables to USB so I had to rewire my 12v tv to accept USB. That way I can leave USB chargers in the 12v outlets. Installed a freezer security latch to complement one on the refrigerator door, installed a variable intensity LED light with a night light over the sink. Tomorrow will be lifts for the bed under storage area. Pictures to follow later.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #276

Quote:
Switching the conventional round 12v charging cables to USB so I had to rewire my 12v tv to accept USB. That way I can leave USB chargers in the 12v outlets.
I don't understand that.

USB is a computer equipment "bus" (interconnection) standard which includes the design of connectors, the assignment of wires and pins, and the voltage of power supplied (plus a bunch of other more important stuff which is not relevant to charging). The voltage supplied by a USB port - any USB port - is 5 volts, not 12 volts. If the TV runs on 12 volts, it won't work on a USB connection.

You could use a USB cable, but feed it 12 volts, which would be bad if you ever plugged that cable into a legitimate USB device that is only supposed to get 5 volts... and the idea of leaving USB chargers in the outlets suggests that the plan is to use only 5 volts.

What am I missing here?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #277

Sorry for the lack or clarity, I'm using these in my factory installed 12v old style round receptacles to utilize the modern USB chargers. But I have some old round style charging cables to tv and others which have rca pins which I'm converting to use USB.
Attached Thumbnails
51+Rq0XTDIL._SL1032_.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #278

Quote:
Sorry for the lack or clarity, I'm using these in my factory installed 12v old style round receptacles to utilize the modern USB chargers. But I have some old round style charging cables to tv and others which have rca pins which I'm converting to use USB.
Thanks Jim, but it still sounds like you are planning to feed 5 volts (from a USB port) into the power input jack of a TV which needs 12 volts. Did your "12V" TV use an adapter which converts 12V from the lighter-style socket to 5 volts into the TV? 5 volts isn't very much to run a TV, and the ten watts or so that a USB adapter can supply doesn't seem like enough.

I had never heard of an "RCA" connector (also called a phono connector) being used as a power connector before this week, although by coincidence I saw a lamp at Ikea on Tuesday with a power cord ending in an RCA plug (which presumably goes into a 120VAC to low-voltage DC adapter). In that case it would work okay, but an RCA jack on the appliance would mean a cord ending in an RCA plug with power on it which means a protruding live pin... always a bad idea.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #279

Here are some of the pictures I mentioned....here is the adjustable LED light that goes from low to high as well as I installed a red night light with an independent switch, over the sink
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2198.jpg   DSCN2199.jpg   DSCN2200.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #280

Here is the handle on the the interior and exterior of the screen door, the led charger with USB attachment that also gives you the voltage and the child locks on freezer and refer to secure the doors on those "rough" roads we sometimes encounter.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2201.jpg   DSCN2205.jpg   DSCN2206.jpg