portable solar hookup - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 Fleetwood Pop up, Escape 21 April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I really like your plan and I'm seriously considering something similar, but I plan on having a 120 volt power cord hatch instead of getting the removable power cord.
Is there any disadvantage to using the 120 volt power cord electrical hatch for the the portable solar, wifi, etc cables instead of having a second electrical cord hatch installed? Is the hatch too small for multiple cords, or will the magnetic field from the 60 Hz affect the solar power, wifi, cell reception, etc?
I don't have my trailer yet, but it sounds as if there is not enough room to have the regular 30 amp cord and the other cords go through that small slide up and down opening at the same time. I do not know about any magnetic field interference issues. I am getting the removable power cord and also the electrical access hatch for that reason of having enough space for everything.

casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Casita upgrading to 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure I understand. That sounds like the hatch that most trailers had before the removable became fashionable.
My cord coils inside the trailer, with the plug behind a little door.
If you are thinking of something larger, then will you reach inside and search for the plug?
My plan was to have the cables run through the electrical hatch, but to reach through an optional external access hatch in order to do the plugging in.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 Fleetwood Pop up, Escape 21 April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
My plan was to have the cables run through the electrical hatch, but to reach through an optional external access hatch in order to do the plugging in.
That is exactly my plan. Both hatches on the 21' are to be driver's side far aft, right next to each other.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 to be pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why not replace the MC4 connectors on the end of the cable with something like the Zamp port? More water tight and easier to connect.

I plan you use some kind of hatch similar to this one which will have all my ports in it, including any antennas I may use, portable solar, coax for TV, etc. It will be on the back of the trailer and enter into the rear bench where most of the electrical/electronic stuff will be.

Hello,

I am working on the build for my Escape 19 and thinking ahead for possible portable solar.

These are the ETI options for the connections and I think the first, the solar port, makes the most sense as the connection is less of a hassle.

From ETI

*Portable solar power - There are two options available for you, both cost $100.00. ***
*********a. *****Solar port (customer provided) installed wired to the solar controller
*********b. *****Pre-wire for portable solar - wire from solar controller to electrical hatch. *The wire is fed through the hatch and then pigtailed to your portable power. *Location of electrical hatch to be determined by customer

As long as there is a port being installed, I think it would be a good idea to be able to accommodate a future antenna or two such as wifi or Sirius (no TV in my Escape).

The port or hatch in your photo looks like it could accommodate a few things. I believe it is from Nuovo Rade but I am unable to find it listed anywhere or how it can accommodate various ports. Can you help me?

I would have the port installed close to the solar controller although I have no idea where that is.

Any other suggestions?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote