portable solar hookup - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
I plan to get an exterior access hatch on the drivers side aft and have an additional electrical hatch right next to it to get under the dinette seat there ( we are getting a removable power cord). ETI is putting a pigtail to the solar controller there. That will be where I can connect a portable solar, wifi antenna, cell booster antenna, etc. I figure to run the wires through the electrical hatch and then reach in through the much larger access hatch to plug them in. I will have 12 volt there to power the cell booster. That way I can make the connections from outside, but also do it from inside if needed. I am getting an extra 12 volt outlet on the dinette bench and will wire off of it to put my own 12 volt outlet under the seat, as ETI said they would not put a 12 volt outlet under the seat. ETI told me that a 12 volt drop is 16 gauge wire, but if you get a 12 volt outlet it will be 14 gauge wire suitable for up to a 15 amp draw. That is my reason for the extra 12 volt outlet there. Hope it will all work out as planned, but I still have time to change something if needed.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

The potential connections I see could be:
- Coax for TV - from antenna or campground cable
- Wife Antenna
- Solar
- I might also do a DC outlet in there too
A "Wife" antenna would be a handy thing to have. Where did you get yours?
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Thank you for the clarification. I too will probably just have Escape put in another access port. That way I can run other wires in as time goes on.
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
(comment deleted due to being inappropriate for forum content)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
A "Wife" antenna would be a handy thing to have.
I tried a Wife antenna once. It didn't work and I got caught red-handed...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I tried a Wife antenna once. It didn't work and I got caught red-handed.
Alan
My friends left and took the dog.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
I plan to get an exterior access hatch on the drivers side aft and have an additional electrical hatch right next to it to get under the dinette seat there ( we are getting a removable power cord). ETI is putting a pigtail to the solar controller there. That will be where I can connect a portable solar, wifi antenna, cell booster antenna, etc. I figure to run the wires through the electrical hatch and then reach in through the much larger access hatch to plug them in. I will have 12 volt there to power the cell booster. That way I can make the connections from outside, but also do it from inside if needed. I am getting an extra 12 volt outlet on the dinette bench and will wire off of it to put my own 12 volt outlet under the seat, as ETI said they would not put a 12 volt outlet under the seat. ETI told me that a 12 volt drop is 16 gauge wire, but if you get a 12 volt outlet it will be 14 gauge wire suitable for up to a 15 amp draw. That is my reason for the extra 12 volt outlet there. Hope it will all work out as planned, but I still have time to change something if needed.
I really like your plan and I'm seriously considering something similar, but I plan on having a 120 volt power cord hatch instead of getting the removable power cord.
Is there any disadvantage to using the 120 volt power cord electrical hatch for the the portable solar, wifi, etc cables instead of having a second electrical cord hatch installed? Is the hatch too small for multiple cords, or will the magnetic field from the 60 Hz affect the solar power, wifi, cell reception, etc?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Richard, if the hatch is still like it was on our 17B , then one problem would be that you will not be able to close the flap that closes down on the 120V cable to help keep critters out. It might be possible to modify it, but it has a slide up and down space for the 120 cable, that snaps into place.

Ours looked like this:
Attached Thumbnails
316CD4GwecL.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I really like your plan and I'm seriously considering something similar, but I plan on having a 120 volt power cord hatch instead of getting the removable power cord.
Not sure I understand. That sounds like the hatch that most trailers had before the removable became fashionable.
My cord coils inside the trailer, with the plug behind a little door.
If you are thinking of something larger, then will you reach inside and search for the plug?
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 2.jpg   Cord 1.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Is there any disadvantage to using the 120 volt power cord electrical hatch for the the portable solar, wifi, etc cables instead of having a second electrical cord hatch installed? Is the hatch too small for multiple cords, or will the magnetic field from the 60 Hz affect the solar power, wifi, cell reception, etc?
I used my optional hatch for multiple phone wires, thermometer wire, 2 ham radio antenna wires - all at the same time. (During a 4 month stay as campground host.)
There was no interference that I could tell - although the 120v cord came in the usual spot and not through the optional hatch. But given the physics of 60Hz current it is unlikely that a few feet of close contact would make a difference. But for me the big advantage was that the optional hatch was near the batteries and solar controller.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #31

Quote:
I don't have my trailer yet, but it sounds as if there is not enough room to have the regular 30 amp cord and the other cords go through that small slide up and down opening at the same time. I do not know about any magnetic field interference issues. I am getting the removable power cord and also the electrical access hatch for that reason of having enough space for everything.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure I understand. That sounds like the hatch that most trailers had before the removable became fashionable.
My cord coils inside the trailer, with the plug behind a little door.
If you are thinking of something larger, then will you reach inside and search for the plug?
My plan was to have the cables run through the electrical hatch, but to reach through an optional external access hatch in order to do the plugging in.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #33

Quote:
My plan was to have the cables run through the electrical hatch, but to reach through an optional external access hatch in order to do the plugging in.
That is exactly my plan. Both hatches on the 21' are to be driver's side far aft, right next to each other.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why not replace the MC4 connectors on the end of the cable with something like the Zamp port? More water tight and easier to connect.

I plan you use some kind of hatch similar to this one which will have all my ports in it, including any antennas I may use, portable solar, coax for TV, etc. It will be on the back of the trailer and enter into the rear bench where most of the electrical/electronic stuff will be.

Hello,

I am working on the build for my Escape 19 and thinking ahead for possible portable solar.

These are the ETI options for the connections and I think the first, the solar port, makes the most sense as the connection is less of a hassle.

From ETI

*Portable solar power - There are two options available for you, both cost $100.00. ***
*********a. *****Solar port (customer provided) installed wired to the solar controller
*********b. *****Pre-wire for portable solar - wire from solar controller to electrical hatch. *The wire is fed through the hatch and then pigtailed to your portable power. *Location of electrical hatch to be determined by customer

As long as there is a port being installed, I think it would be a good idea to be able to accommodate a future antenna or two such as wifi or Sirius (no TV in my Escape).

The port or hatch in your photo looks like it could accommodate a few things. I believe it is from Nuovo Rade but I am unable to find it listed anywhere or how it can accommodate various ports. Can you help me?

I would have the port installed close to the solar controller although I have no idea where that is.

Any other suggestions?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote