Power awning modification - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Power awning modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I must admit, your rig looks super sharp. I'm not sure what the awning mod is, yet but I obviously have more research to do.
The awning modification I was referring to has to do with aluminum support arms attaching to the end of the awning down to the ground. Enabling the use of sun shade or privacy tarps to be used.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
The awning modification I was referring to has to do with aluminum support arms attaching to the end of the awning down to the ground. Enabling the use of sun shade or privacy tarps to be used.
and what happens when it retracts automatically, like mine did 4 times this weekend when some wind activated the sensor?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and what happens when it retracts automatically, like mine did 4 times this weekend when some wind activated the sensor?
Seems like many folks on the big sticky forums ultimately end up shutting that auto retract off.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That's the easy part just turn off the power after deployment , We normally have it turned off when traveling. The rest is still in my head bouncing around.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea. If one could even use a locking extendable fibreglass or aluminum pole, it would be easy to rig an attachment to the awning and pin it to the ground.

Just thinking. I have a couple light two-piece aluminum tarp poles that do this. They have a 1/4" pin on the top intended to go into a tarp grommet. I could maybe drill a hole in the lead rail (or find another way of fixing it), insert the pin on the pole, and use a small rope or ratchet strap to tie this back to the ground. It would be a very stable setup. Maybe then just clip the sunshade to the awning fabric. Easy peasy.

We too like to use a lightweight sunshade when the heat is beating down on us. Beer helps, but it does not stop the skin from melting.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That sounds like a good idea. If one could even use a locking extendable fibreglass or aluminum pole, it would be easy to rig an attachment to the awning and pin it to the ground.

Just thinking. I have a couple light two-piece aluminum tarp poles that do this. They have a 1/4" pin on the top intended to go into a tarp grommet. I could maybe drill a hole in the lead rail (or find another way of fixing it), insert the pin on the pole, and use a small rope or ratchet strap to tie this back to the ground. It would be a very stable setup. Maybe then just clip the sunshade to the awning fabric. Easy peasy.

We too like to use a lightweight sunshade when the heat is beating down on us. Beer helps, but it does not stop the skin from melting.
Exactly! I was also thinking of a base plate with a small spike on the bottom. This way if we go on a day trip or fishing just discount upper attachment and retract awning while gone.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I already have a privacy screen I can hang from the awning lead rail. So, I am all ears to hear this idea concerning vertical support poles for the new awning!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just wish we had enough sun to need a shield it seems like all get is rain lately. Never really needed to use the air conditioner or felt the need to get out of the sun when camping around here. I'm getting air for my new 5.0 too - wishful thinking!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Power awning modification

posts moved from other thread.....
Old 04-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I already have a privacy screen I can hang from the awning lead rail. So, I am all ears to hear this idea concerning vertical support poles for the new awning!
Just musings rumbling through my mind for now. First I have to get out and really give this new awning a go, and see what our needs really are.

In the past we have found we mostly use the screen on the side, and kinda tuck ourselves into that corner under the awning, though on a couple occasions, and really never put it along the rail, BUT this was with an awning where we could dip the rail down as low as needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 17
Wondering if the Dometic factory LED light option just plugs in to the awning harness then attaches to the rail....
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:

Tin,
Any progress on this? I am on the same page as you and Jim Bennet. Just have not come up with the right solution.

Regards,

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote