Propane alarm replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Propane alarm replacement

Every 5 years these things go end-of-life; mine did last week on my 2014-21. Pulled it out of the bench and found ZERO wire slack, and the ETI crimps captured between two wire clamps. No way to get to there without removing the batteries and the battery box.See first pic.

I am not going to do this every 5 years, so I added wire to the 12V run from the wall and spade disconnects for the alarm that I could access with the unit off the wall.

Wrote ETI about their poor design; should have planned access to a maintenance item that required R&R periodically. 20 mins later the reply was they're going to review that need on all models....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1990.JPG   IMG_1992.JPG   IMG_1991.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I replaced mine, adding some wire. It's not tidy now and is much more apt to be caught by something stored in that bench. I suspect that is why the wiring was so tight.

ETI could add spade connections, increasing cost and complication, or you can do it when you replace the detector.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did something similar, I asked that the batteries be moved 2" to allow watering access instead of a bench support in the way, they complied.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It is not a problem in the original position of mine in the 5.0TA as there is really nothing else near it. In any trailer though just enough slack to be able to replace it would be good.

When I tore the cabinetry apart in this location in my trailer to allow a bigger drawer for the garbage and recycling buckets, I did have to move it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Wrote ETI about their poor design; should have planned access to a maintenance item that required R&R periodically. 20 mins later the reply was they're going to review that need on all models....
Escape really can't be blamed - it's an industry wide habit to not consider maintenance. Think about the Dodge truck that you had to loosen the motor mounts and lift the motor to be able to change that back spark plug.

When doing projects in the plant, I made it a requirement that maintenance sign off on all designs - it's amazing the stuff the project engineers would try to do.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I was having an electrical problem in Ten Forward and thought I'd need to replace the GFCI in the kitchen, I found exactly how little slack there was in the wiring. A ten minute job would have turned into an hour job (plus ANOTHER trip to the hardware store), compared to the spaghetti wiring in my Scamp. Scamp manufacturing took care of the 'extra' wiring by blobbing on a strip of silicone caulk inside the cabinetry and affixing the wire to the cabinet wall. Oh my...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Every 5 years these things go end-of-life; mine did last week ..................
Does it do something when it goes, "end of life". The reason I ask is I have a switch on mine to cut power when I'm not using it otherwise it constantly goes off when the solar panel does the bulk charge each month. I just have it switched on when camping and the one on my 2012 5.0 is original and still works.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

End of Life Signal The Sensor has a 5 Year Service Life All 35Seriesmodels include an End of Life (EOL) Signal indicating the sensor has reached the end of its service life and you must replace the alarm. The signal is the LEDflashing RED RED GREEN GREEN with a beep every 25-30 seconds. The EOL Signal may be reset by pushing TEST / RESET button on the alarm. This will reset the EOL Signal for a period of 72 hours (3 days) for a total of up to 30 days. After 30 days the signalcannot be reset and the alarm must be replaced. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE ALARM UNTIL YOU HAVE A REPLACEMENT ALARM AVAILABLE TO INSTALL

Google Safe-T-Alert for the instruction manual. It says to not put it on a switch of its own. If switched, all DC appliances in the RV should turn off.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Does it do something when it goes, "end of life". The reason I ask is I have a switch on mine to cut power when I'm not using it otherwise it constantly goes off when the solar panel does the bulk charge each month. I just have it switched on when camping and the one on my 2012 5.0 is original and still works.
Barry
Depends on what model you have. My 2017 21' has the Atwood 31014.

Atwood 31014 RV Propane Gas Detector Indicator lights

Green light blinks periodically during normal operation
Red light flashes while active alarm is sounding
Red light blinks periodically if power is low
Yellow light blinks if maintenance is needed (needs replacement)
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood 31014.png  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
End of Life Signal The Sensor has a 5 Year Service Life All 35Seriesmodels include an End of Life (EOL) Signal indicating the sensor has reached the end of its service life and you must replace the alarm. The signal is the LEDflashing RED RED GREEN GREEN with a beep every 25-30 seconds. The EOL Signal may be reset by pushing TEST / RESET button on the alarm. This will reset the EOL Signal for a period of 72 hours (3 days) for a total of up to 30 days. After 30 days the signalcannot be reset and the alarm must be replaced. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE ALARM UNTIL YOU HAVE A REPLACEMENT ALARM AVAILABLE TO INSTALL

Google Safe-T-Alert for the instruction manual. It says to not put it on a switch of its own. If switched, all DC appliances in the RV should turn off.
Okay thanks for that, mine hasn't beeped or flashed like that.

I would love to be able to not have the alarm on a switch but it's placement right next to the batteries sets it off all the time. I've got a check list I go through before camping to make sure I turn it on. At some point I'm going to have to relocate the alarm.

I had the trailer in for service at Escape one year and the alarm was going off all the time so, not having a key for the trailer, they tried to break in though the door ruining the lock so they ended up having to give me a new handle and lock. After that I put a switch in!
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Whatever model you have, I think there should be a means of disconnecting the alarm without killing all other DC items should the thing go off in the middle of the night while camping. I would rather pull a disconnect apart than trip over the dogs at 3AM.

I looked at the circuit board when I took my old one apart; no battery and one chip looked like it was programmable, so I think there's a bit of software in there to count down the 5 years.

If you do put a switch on the power, that would probably stop the countdown clock until repowered - hence the manufacturer statement that it should not be on it's own switch. You might not buy another one for 10 years or more!

What the depowered effect is on the reliability of the sensor I don't know. Bought my replacement on Amazon for less than $50. Factory price for same unit is $85.

So I played it safe. Just wanted an easy disconnect if needed.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Whatever model you have, I think there should be a means of disconnecting the alarm without killing all other DC items should the thing go off in the middle of the night while camping. I would rather pull a disconnect apart than trip over the dogs at 3AM.

I looked at the circuit board when I took my old one apart; no battery and one chip looked like it was programmable, so I think there's a bit of software in there to count down the 5 years.

If you do put a switch on the power, that would probably stop the countdown clock until repowered - hence the manufacturer statement that it should not be on it's own switch. You might not buy another one for 10 years or more!

What the depowered effect is on the reliability of the sensor I don't know. Bought my replacement on Amazon for less than $50. Factory price for same unit is $85.

So I played it safe. Just wanted an easy disconnect if needed.
With all the spare fuse holder slots available in the converter 12v panel, it seems that having a dedicated 12v circuit for the propane detector would be an easy thing to do.

It goes off too often, pull the fuse!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:

That's not how it works. There is an element used in the sensor which degrades when connected to DC. Your five years starts when connected to power ( the date sticker on the back is the date of manufacture, not the date used to determine if it needs replacement ).

Like your water heater anode, it needs to be replaced when used up.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's not how it works. There is an element used in the sensor which degrades when connected to DC. Your five years starts when connected to power ( the date sticker on the back is the date of manufacture, not the date used to determine if it needs replacement ).

Like your water heater anode, it needs to be replaced when used up.
I agree, but I doubt the sensor has anything to do with a time keeping function.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
I agree, but I doubt the sensor has anything to do with a time keeping function.

The sensor has no time-keeping function. Five years is what they determine is when the material in the sensor is used up and the unit should be replaced.
As I recall, I replaced mine around six or seven years.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Can anyone tell me how to change out the battery in the Safe-T-Alert? I assume all I have to do is change out a battery? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Can anyone tell me how to change out the battery in the Safe-T-Alert? I assume all I have to do is change out a battery? Thanks.
There isn't a battery in the propane detector, it's hard wired. That's why the alarm will go off if the house battery(ies) get low.

But, maybe you're asking about the smoke detector??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Thanks. I just pulled up my cushion at the dinette and see it is hardwired. I just ordered a Safe-T-Alert on Amazon. Looks pretty easy (even for me who isn't mechanical/electrical inclined) to change out. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Mine had a reset when the "getting too old" beeping started. And yes, wired in tight. I can't remember what we did to make it work.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #20

Vacuum or wipe the face plate with a damp cloth often works for a while. The date of manufacture is on the back, but that isn't the start of its five year life span. That starts when you connect it to electricity.