Propane cover - Learning the hard way - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I ordered the electric tongue jack with my 19, and with the storage box. With the stock hard propane tank covers in place, I can't open the storage box. I guess it has to do with the combination of the placement of the storage box and the propane tanks. Since it doesn't appear to be worthwhile to try to move anything, I just purchased the cloth covers with zippers and am pleased with that..
I have the same issue. At present, I am just lifting the propane cover an inch or two to give the storage box lid enough room to get by.
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I ordered the electric tongue jack with my 19, and with the storage box. With the stock hard propane tank covers in place, I can't open the storage box. I guess it has to do with the combination of the placement of the storage box and the propane tanks. Since it doesn't appear to be worthwhile to try to move anything, I just purchased the cloth covers with zippers and am pleased with that..
I had the same problem. Since the cover is a thermoplastic, I applied a bunch of heat, then "flattened" the rear side of the cover - it still clears the tanks. I now have 1/2" of clearance between it and the storage box...
Old 05-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #23
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
That reminds me of the time I purchased my brand new Harley. On the way home a side cover flew off. A $40.00 replacement. Wound up securing it with zip ties after that. Sometimes you just have to go low tech. Live and learn.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
A propane cover question. I have not had to fill either yet but can I with the cover left in place? Or must it be removed to fill the bottles.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
A propane cover question. I have not had to fill either yet but can I with the cover left in place? Or must it be removed to fill the bottles.
Depends who is doing the filling of the tank. Some places fill by weight, so the tank itself must be removed. We don't do it by weight out here, but still take the tank off and take it in to the station. I usually do that after returning from a trip, anyway. I suppose you could leave the tanks on the trailer, provided there's a long enough fill hose and you can get your trailer close enough, but I'd bet you'd still need to remove the cover.

My naugahyde cover has not lasted as long as I had hoped, so will be looking at putting the hard cover back on, with modifications.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape19 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I had the same problem. Since the cover is a thermoplastic, I applied a bunch of heat, then "flattened" the rear side of the cover - it still clears the tanks. I now have 1/2" of clearance between it and the storage box...
Hi Jon, we have the same problem with the storage box lid closing to tight to the tank beauty cover.
What did you use to apply heat and how did you mold it?
Thanks Mike
Shon414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I used a ceramic disk furnace (portable heater) inside & a heat shrink gun on the outside on the area I wanted to flatten. I wore welders gloves to form the plastic once it hit the plastic state, an a piece of 1" X 6" to hold it flat until it set.

You have to watch the temperature carefully. Easy to burn a hole with the heat shrink gun; I've had lots of experience thermoforming with a number of vacuum form machines - form at your own risk!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
In another thread I recently talked about going to an Icon propane cover. It is 13” front to back (vs 15” on the stock cover) which easily fit between my electric tongue jack housing and the front storage box. I cut several inches off the bottom to make it the same height as the original, and you can get it with or without an access hatch. I would highly recommend it if 2” of clearance will solve your fit problem.

Stay healthy and safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:15 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape19 2021
Thanks Doug And Betty. I ordered a Icon cover. I also ordered a
Flame king on Amazon. Looks new.14 inch so nots as much leeway. Came in a day. Works well enough. Did not have to modify.
Shon414 is offline   Reply With Quote