Propane quick disconnect & grills - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 15B
Propane quick disconnect & grills

One option we are thinking about having in our June 15B is the propane quick disconnect. Does anyone have this option and how do you like it? Is it installed on the side and does it protrude out. And the second half of this equation is, are there any recommendations for portable grills. Only 5 months away now . . .
memisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: No more Escape 21
We have one on our 19' It doesn't stick out. Sorry, can't help with the grill.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by memisch View Post
One option we are thinking about having in our June 15B is the propane quick disconnect. Does anyone have this option and how do you like it? Is it installed on the side and does it protrude out. And the second half of this equation is, are there any recommendations for portable grills. Only 5 months away now . . .
Check out Product reviews for members recomendations on grills etc.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: ?
We have the propane quick connect and use it all the time for our Weber Q. We like the Weber, but if I could do it over again, I'd check out the Dickinson too.
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had my trailer for 4 summers now, and got the low pressure gas quick coupler, with full intention of using it. Not until last winter did I finally get around to getting a new BBQ which I set up right off the bat without its own regulator. Do I like this setup? The real question is, why the hell did I wait so long to do it?

We just love the convenience. Our new BBQ and the hose store under one dinette seat, and can be set up to use in no time at all. No worries about portable bottles for it either. We have been very pleased.

The grill I bought was a Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ. You can read my review on HERE. This was written after only a few uses, and after using it lots for a full season, I am just as happy with it now as when it was new. On a 17 day trip to Southern Utah with friends, it got a ton of use, and our friends pretty much left their Weber grill in their unit, because whether it was them or us cooking, they too used our grill. Not cheap (but either are our trailers), but very much worth every penny of its price. It is built with more quality than I have seen in any other portable grill.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Hi there, we have the low pressure disconnect on the trailer but have not used it. We ordered this as an option when we had the trailer built but then figured out our Coleman stove would not work on low pressure. Our Weber Q will work on low pressure if the regulator is removed. By the time we figured this out, the LP line was in and the insulation blown on the underside of the trailer. On to plan B: As we wanted the option to cook outside with the BBQ and the Coleman stove, Reace got us a fitting that connects to the 20 pound tanks on the front of the trailer. I then had a local hose company make me up a 20 foot high pressure hose which I run off the main tanks, with a tee off of the end and a 3 foot hoses with quick connects and an on / off valve going to each appliance. Each run on high pressure propane. I have had problems getting the lines to charge properly and had to do some fiddling around to get the gas to flow, which it eventually does. Oddly enough, I made a quick trip to the hose store today to try and solve this annoyance. Lo and behold, both myself and the technician learned from the supplier that prior to hooking the lines up, the main valve to the one propane tank has to be off. You then connect the lines to the tank and the appliances, open up the valves on the quick connects to the appliances and then slowly open up the valve on the main tank. You will hear the hiss of the lines charging and when you hear a ping, they are full and ready to go. Sounds like a bit of a hassle but not really as we like to cook outdoors. The end result: a 2012 15A we have never cooked in, other then boiling water for coffee in the am.
Regards
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

I followed Jim's advice and added the low pressure hookup and the Dickson Spitfire. Awesome BBQ. Bought the matching half grill too.
BTW the gas line could also be used for a propane outdoor heater, fire pit and a camp stove too. Just handy.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm willing to accept the propane quick connect, if I have to, but I just can't handle a propane camp fire.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
We have three low pressure lines with quick disconnects so we can cook outside with no propane bottles. I made up a tee to connect it all together..

Here is one of our camping trips with two hoses going; one for the Weber Q120 and the other for our 2 burner Camp Chef stove...plenty of gas supply to run both simultaneously.

Here is the Weber Q120 with a Tri-Tip Steak going. I removed the supplied regulator and plumbed in a quick disconnect.

Here I have the Camp Chef cooking up some fried rice in cast iron...we do love to eat! I mounted a quick disconnect on this one also.

I cannot say enough about the low pressure supply quick disconnect system. Good luck!

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #10

Explain the foil inside the Weber.

I do roll up foil to block the hinge area on my large Weber at home when I'm smoking ribs ( keep in mind that you are absolutely not supposed to do that ). Nothing has blowed up yet..
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Explain the foil inside the Weber. ..
I line the inside surface of the Weber with foil which makes cleanup a snap. Each week of camping I re-line the Weber and then throw it all away when we get home. It makes a huge difference!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 15B
Thanks everyone, we will move forward with the option and the Spitfire grill!
memisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #13

We will be looking at at the Spitfire down the road! Hopefully we will be able to see one up close at the rally in Osoyoos!
Scott
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #14

I will have mine there again, Scott. Better get it cleaned up, it got a lot of hard use last year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #15

I elected not to get the quick connect on my 5.0. The reasons are as follows: (1) Knowing how clumsy I am, I would probably trip on the line being so close to the trailer. (2) I don't like cooking too close to the trailer cause I don't want the smoke getting into the trailer or getting the awning discolored or dirty & (3) I don't want to buy a too expensive grill cause I don't like cleaning it. After a year or two I just throw out the grill and buy a new cheap weber gas grill for $50.00. No worries of low pressure propane or removing a regulator. I bought a lite fiberglass 10 pound propane tank and hook that up to my inexpensive stove and grill. I keep the tank with the other trailer tanks when traveling. Enjoy.
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #16

Roger, it is easy to keep the line out of the way. I have a 15' (I think) hose, which is long enough to get well away, though I do tend to set up under the awning often due to rain. As far as the cleaning goes, can't offer any help there. I do need to do my grill, and expect to spend 30 minutes to do it, which is a once a year thing.

I guess with the 5.0 there is room for your 3rd tank with the trailer ones. Something not available to the other model trailers.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #17

My buddy "Felix" ( and I'm Oscar according to the Old Bag ) keeps a sparkling grill. But, I'm quite sure I read somewhere that you only have to run it on high for a half hour or so, once in a while, to burn off the accumulation. I'm sure that's what it said. Somewhere.
I do use a 10 lb. tank and used to have a 5 lb. at one time. Not a problem to store or move to wherever I want the BBQ, which might include a neighbor's campsite.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

Jim, I'm going to have my white glove with me for the inspection of your Spitfire!!!
Scott
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I do have the low pressure propane connection and use it all the time. I even bought the weber cast iron griddle for the baby q to add more versatility = more cooking in the great outdoors. Being on week one of the post Xmas diet has me looking ahead and fantasizing between french toast or pancakes for the first breakfast morning of the spring trip.

On a little more serious note I've also been researching another low pressure device for that connection. Does anyone in the Escape community have a campfire in a can? Another nice BC company, great reviews, and with that quick connect it would be a great no fuss way of getting a little evening ambiance and heat after the cooking and the dishes are done ;-)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
Jim, I'm going to have my white glove with me for the inspection of your Spitfire!!!
Scott
Just bring a pair of rubber ones too. You might just have to scrub it up a bit before inspection.