Propane theft - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
To kind of generally respond to the different posts.
Talked with the Park and they dont have surveillance cameras. They do have a large staff and they are now alert that they have a thief most likely in storage.
You will never prevent theft with any lock system, but this simple, inexpensive, locking of the tanks forces them to need tools and more visible time stealing the tanks. Someone swapping tanks isn’t a pro just a basic opportunist thief and this will most likely solve it.
Many retaliatory suggestions were made by the park staff and posts here, and while those thoughts did occur, it’s not my thing.
Tanks and batteries are being lifted in Campgrounds as well, so this isnt just an isolated storage lot problem. I’m hopeful, like my battery case locks, that this solution will prevent any future issues no matter where my trailer is at.
I’ve talked with a bunch of my fellow RVers that store in the lot and everyone is on heightened alert. Most of the trailers are big rigs and use bigger tanks, only a handful use twin 20lb tanks so we have a small group to watch. Maybe at some point we can catch them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We have one of these set up inside of our trailer, aimed outside to monitor the backyard. It can operate as stand alone, recording to a memory card, or you can also hook it up to a WiFi network, if available, and it will send alerts to your phone if it detects motion or sound, all while recording the activity. Have been using it for a couple months now and I’m impressed with how well it works, especially for ~$20. Also, it just plugs into USB inside the trailer, which never runs out with our rooftop solar. Cam also has night vision, time lapse mode, two way audio, will recognize and alert for smoke alarms and broken glass, and a bunch of other features. Slick. We got the non-pan version, but the pan one also looks interesting, and only $10 more.Name:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  17.4 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	35109

https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/
Old 11-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've been under the impression the best way to prevent loosing batteries and propane tanks is to remove them when using storage lots, is this not a valid option?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We have one of these set up inside of our trailer, aimed outside to monitor the backyard. It can operate as stand alone, recording to a memory card, or you can also hook it up to a WiFi network, if available, and it will send alerts to your phone if it detects motion or sound, all while recording the activity. Have been using it for a couple months now and I’m impressed with how well it works, especially for ~$20. Also, it just plugs into USB inside the trailer, which never runs out with our rooftop solar. Cam also has night vision, time lapse mode, two way audio, will recognize and alert for smoke alarms and broken glass, and a bunch of other features. Slick. We got the non-pan version, but the pan one also looks interesting, and only $10 more.Attachment 35108Attachment 35109

https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam/
Going to look into also . My brother loves them and has been trying to get me to get them . Unbelievable price too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Locking safety chains, looped through propane tanks is also I solution, except, I've only actually done it once.
Agreeing with Baglo Oh well...have done same very easily with a padlock. Also reduces risk that thieves using chains to take the whole trailer.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Iowa Dave, do you remember the incident back in the late 50’s or early 60,s where a farmer set a trap gun in a vacant farm house. He had some things stored in this vacant farm house and it was being broken into all the time. So he set a trap gun low to the floor and the thief suffered severe damage to his leg. The thief sued and got the farmers 80 acres of land. In my opinion, he didn’t set the gun high enough. You know, just above the shoulders. I think this was somewhere in southern Iowa. The neighbors bought the land back for the farmer and years later the thief committed suicide. So much for booby traps that can injure. Loren
As a general rule, "Man Traps" are illegal and can end up in jail time for the individual who set them up. If for example, someone is killed, you can do a lot of hard time. We do not have the death penalty for petty theft. I have given it thought, and I just do not want to have to tell one of my neighbors that I killed their child over a 40 dollar item.

I think there may be some options that my not be included in the definition of man traps. (Check with your lawyer if you are not sure.) At one end it might be fun to grease an old tank. It is slippery and stains everything. Another approach is to glue rodent glue pads to the tank and its handle. When the person touches it it is very hard to disconnect him/her self from the tank. (I believe cooking oil will get if off.)
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Casita SD (Those Escape 19b's sure are nice!)
I had the same thing happen - finding someone had swapped my new full tank with an empty with a different label. I mentioned it to the owner of the storage lot (which is only for RV, boat, and some classic cars) just so he would know he has a renter who also is a thief. This lot is secured 24/7 in a very visible location next to a police impound lot and owner lives on site with cameras. He let me know later after watching his brother steal my tank, they he forgot about offering a tank to his brother from one of the 2 he always keeps full on his Casita. Just a simple mistaken Casita this time, but in the meantime I wrapped a chain through the holes in the bottom stands on the tanks and around the frame with a padlock.
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Update: The lock solution for the propane tanks has been on since first week of Nov and I have filled the tanks several times and gone on multiple trips in and out of storage. At the moment the lock seems to have stopped the fellow camper in the storage lot from doing a tank swap for my full tanks.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote