Question About Installing Toilet Shutoff Valve - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Question About Installing Toilet Shutoff Valve

I've been carrying a ball valve around for thousands of miles in case I need to install it in the water line to the toilet. I thought I might go ahead, but I have a question before starting. This is probably specific to our 2013 19', but maybe others are similar. Sorry I don't have a picture to post.

The valve I have is a white plastic Watts unit with the ends like SharkBite for PEX. After I cut the line and remove a little more to make up for the length of the valve, is there room to bend the PEX around to fit it in the valve? The water line on ours comes through the wall into the underseat storage, connects to an ell, goes maybe a foot toward the side wall, and connects to another ell before going through the bathroom wall. ETI drilled the holes without a lot of slop, so I'm concerned about having enough wiggle room to insert the valve. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this, especially on an older 19.

Thanks
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the location where mine was located in my 2012 and 2016 E19's--seem to be the right place.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #3

Right. I'm sure about the location but just wondering about squeezing into a relatively short stiff piece of PEX between fixed ends. I'll find out soon enough I guess!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Right. I'm sure about the location but just wondering about squeezing into a relatively short stiff piece of PEX between fixed ends. I'll find out soon enough I guess!
Parker I did on our 2013 19 . Pictures in my album on forum . I couldn’t install like Myron did because our plex was very short . I went to plumbing supply and got sharp bites , a chrome house metal shut off . Ours is in the bath not in the dinette . Also have the stainless line . Been on now for about 4 years . Let me know if you need any more pictures and I will dig them out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #5

Found it! That looks like a really good solution if I can't get the valve squeezed into the horizontal line under the seat.

You have so many excellent mods. I could spend way too much time looking through your albums.

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure I want to yank the toilet to do this so close to departing on our trip, but we'll see.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Found it! That looks like a really good solution if I can't get the valve squeezed into the horizontal line under the seat.

You have so many excellent mods. I could spend way too much time looking through your albums.

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure I want to yank the toilet to do this so close to departing on our trip, but we'll see.
We only were left with 3-4 in under dinette so that was why it is in the bath .yes I did remove toilet to make sure I could connect the shark bites real good . Thankyou for the compliment ! Pat
Old 09-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Here's mine, just installed. I bought the valve some time ago from Little House Customs. It was easier than I though to squeeze it in there. If you're curious about extra wires in the back, some of those power the retro-fitted bathroom ceiling fan.
Attached Thumbnails
20190916_160528.jpg   20190916_164055.jpg  
Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Here's mine, just installed. I bought the valve some time ago from Little House Customs. It was easier than I though to squeeze it in there. If you're curious about extra wires in the back, some of those power the retro-fitted bathroom ceiling fan.
Parker you were lucky . Looks like you have about the same length Myron had on his 19 Who ever did our trailer gave us maybe 3 /12 in in length . That was the reasoning to do install in shower . Your install looks good ! Pat
Old 09-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #9

Thanks! Happy to have a lucky break occasionally.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks! Happy to have a lucky break occasionally.
You are Welcome ! Pat
Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Well....a little update. The valve pictured above leaked at one of the push-in joints. So much for easy. So I splurged on a SharkBite crimping tool and installed a bronze ball valve as pictured here. It required removing the entire bench top, but from then on it was easy. I'm now prepared to install an accumulator using pex and SharkBite connectors, so that's gotten easier as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Bronze Ball Valve.jpg  
Old 09-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Well....a little update. The valve pictured above leaked at one of the push-in joints. So much for easy. So I splurged on a SharkBite crimping tool and installed a bronze ball valve as pictured here. It required removing the entire bench top, but from then on it was easy. I'm now prepared to install an accumulator using pex and SharkBite connectors, so that's gotten easier as well.
I didn’t want to tell you but I had ordered the same from Little house customs but because I wasn’t left with much plex to work with I sent it back and did what I did after going to plumbing store . Glad I did .
Looks like your in business now ! Pat
Old 09-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
A couple of questions, which Sharkbite tool did you purchase? I went to amazon and they have several options, like this https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimpin...s%2C137&sr=8-6
and do we need 3/8" or 1/2" clamps?
I want to install turn off valves to my exterior showers, Escape gave me the valves but I need to install them inline, they are not shark bite but the stainless stock in line shutoff valve, thus a compression clamp will need to be put on.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #14

I went to Lowes, where they happen to have a really knowledgeable retired plumber. I bought the actual SharkBite tool, #865895. I chose the crimp style like the one in your link; the stainless steel type with the little protrusion to grab with the tool. Escape uses the other style, which is a copper ring. Both work with the same fitting. The tradeoff is that the style I used works for a greater range of sizes with the same tool, and is a little less expensive. I think they're probably easier to remove as well (I had to use a Dremel to get the original one off).

Everything I've encountered so far in the Escape is 1/2".
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This has got me trying to remember exactly how I did it. Installed shut off, my 2013 19'. Basically, I first bought the pex valve at Home Depot, then very carefully measured out just where to cut the pex so to force the valve into each end. There was just barely enough wiggle to get that done.

Needed a clean cut, didn't want to cut pex with a hacksaw and got lucky, found a $5 used pex cutter at the nearby Salvation Army store. Fortunately, I did not need to buy the Sharkbite clamp tool.
Attached Thumbnails
shutoffV.jpg  
Old 09-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #16

That looks really familiar! That's a good place to use their push-on connections, especially for a one-time installation...and they come apart again. I like that system a lot. I went with the crimp style for mine because I'm also installing an accumulator and found some crimp on fittings that makes that job a lot easier.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This has got me trying to remember exactly how I did it. Installed shut off, my 2013 19'. Basically, I first bought the pex valve at Home Depot, then very carefully measured out just where to cut the pex so to force the valve into each end. There was just barely enough wiggle to get that done.
Yes, if someone does not want to deal with the crimp rings and tool they can get the Sharkbite push-to-connect style. I have used these in the past. They are pricey but are very well made.

www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Push-to-Connect-Brass-Ball-Valve-22222-0000LF/202270642
Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yes, if someone does not want to deal with the crimp rings and tool they can get the Sharkbite push-to-connect style. I have used these in the past. They are pricey but are very well made.

www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Push-to-Connect-Brass-Ball-Valve-22222-0000LF/202270642
Dave what I have been using and love them . First use was the toilet shut off valve years ago Pat
Old 09-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #19

The shark bite system has no flexibility, so how do you insert the fitting to the exact opening size in the pipe?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The shark bite system has no flexibility, so how do you insert the fitting to the exact opening size in the pipe?
You cut the section of pipe out taking into account the insertion depth needed into the Sharkbite fitting on each side. The pex would have enough flex to get the piping inserted into each side of the valve. Especially since there is an elbow right there.