Questions on upgrades - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Questions on upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi, and grats! We have 180 days and counting. Can someone tell me why they would want the reinforced walls. Question 2, why would someone want so many 12v outlets? Why not use the u-ground plugs with the inverter instead? You'd have to get the transfer switch but that should take care of that. Most devices, phones computers and the like use a u-ground recepticle? I must be missing something here. Could it be an efficiency issue. More draw and the batteries with the inverter, i'm not sure? And at what temp would I ever need the 12v heat pads under the spray foam insul. I like the idea of getting the insul on the bottom but do I really need the 12v heating pads? There is less draw for me to go after anything regarding the esthetics, but more draw for me with anything to do with the functionality of the TT. I don't want to miss something on the TT i'd regret later and I'm a bit of a procrastinator anyway, so I want it set up the way I want it now, except for the easy things to add like a portable stereo or something. I don't like the idea of putting a stereo that would be outdated in a year into a trailer. I'd rather just get a pre-wire, or have a decent portable. I hope someone will chime in and answer some of my questions. Thanks and again congratulations on your purchase. We also purchased the 21, and will be picking ours up May 20th.

Mike
Converting 120 v to 12v to charge a 12v item is inefficient when you can directly use the 12v. Only if the item is 120v only would you need the inverter. Most computers and televisions are dc using black boxes converting 120v to 6-14v. The 12v heat pads are thermostatically activated at 40 degrees on/off. But with the foam spray I found I did not need them. In addition, you need to be hooked up as they use a lot of battery juice.
The reinforced walls is for hanging televisions or shelves or any item where you do not want to be limited to finding and only hanging on a stud, if there is one.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' OTW
Questions on upgrades

Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me why they would want the reinforced walls.

Why would someone want so many 12v outlets? Why not use the u-ground plugs with the inverter instead? You'd have to get the transfer switch but that should take care of that. Most devices, phones computers and the like use a u-ground recepticle? I must be missing something here. Could it be an efficiency issue. More draw and the batteries with the inverter, i'm not sure?

When would I need the 12v heat pads under the spray foam insul. I like the idea of getting the insul on the bottom but do I really need the 12v heating pads?

Can someone tell me which tv antenna they have the most luck with. There are two upgrades, one says has power amp, the other is a Jack, which i'd assume also has a power amp. I'm not sure what problems one or the other may cause with height differences on top of the tt. Which receives better reception?

Does anyone know where the surge protector is located. Is this something that can be added later? $260 for a surge protector seems steep to me. Must be something really nice.

Any comments on the 2 way water heater, I'm thinking this might be a good upgrade also, if used when 120 is available or if using a generator. Boondock propane, hookups elec, what are the advantages to having both? any comments?

Which inverter would someone recommend, wouldn't the 1000 watt be big enough? How fast can someone drain a battery anyway? I would be thinking anything with over a 1000 watt draw while using the batteries would cause a very fast discharge.

Your answers may help me and other decide on what's important and not important when it comes to our own expectations when trailer camping and setting up our rigs.

Thanks in advance for any comments you might provide to the questions I asked.

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right area for the questions, but since i'm here i'll ask anyway. Can someone tell me which tv antenna they have the most luck with. There are two upgrades, one says has power amp, the other is a Jack, which i'd assume also has a power amp. I'm not sure what problems one or the other may cause with height differences on top of the tt.

Does anyone know where the surge protector is located. Is this something that can be added later? 260 for a surge protector seems steep to me. Must be something really nice.

Any comments on the 2 way water heater, I'm thinking this might be a good upgrade also, if used when 120 is available or if using a generator.

Which inverter would someone recommend, wouldn't the 1000 watt be big enough? How fast can someone drain a battery anyway? I would be thinking anything with over a 1000 watt draw while using the batteries would cause a very fast discharge.

I'm asking for myself, but these are the type of questions others may have because of the inexperience with TT's in general.

Thanks All!

Mike
The Jack antenna is an improvement over the winegard in that it is tunable for the best direction. It has 4 less and you rotate the top until most bars are on. You then turn on the tv, and the amplifies at the coaxial and tune the television. Other wise you have to turn the whole trailer to try and get better reception. The EMS is located next to the converter with the remote read out under the refer. See my build sheet, last set of pictures for the remote location. It can be assed later, if you wish, but the cost charged by Escape is cheaper.
It protects all the electronics in your trailer, the refer, the converter, the air conditioner from burn out from under voltage, from voltage spikes from lightning, from improper cg wiring issues.
I got solar so that I did not have to carry around a generator, I skipped the 120v water heater option. Besides you have to go outside and turn it on/off and if you forget it can cost you $.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Welcome Mike,
You can use the search engine on this forum to find many of your questions. There is a wealth of information to be found with time and effort.
I will start out with one of your easy question about 2 way hot water tanks. It would depend on what kind of camping you plan to do. If you plan on using campgrounds with hookups. that means you can save your propane by switching to the electric heat element in your tank. If you going to dry camp with out power or water hookups most of the time then you can burn propane when you want hot water on demand. Personally, I like both options. I camp in parks that have hookups most of the time. It's your choice. We have a few members that never use their hot water heaters and a very few have no hot water heater at all.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Mike,

Not sure what you mean by reinforced walls. Escape does use cabinetry or gables to add support and stability to the roof.

I have two 12V plugs, and there have been a couple times a third would be handy, but not necessary. They mostly get used for chargers.

You don't have to get the 12V heat pads with the spray insulation underneath. Many have opted out, as even though 12V, you do need to be plugged in, or you would drain the batteries in a hurry.

I can't comment on the inverters, antennas or surge protectors, as I don't have any, or do I have need for them with my camping style.

I got the dual fuel water heater. For a few more bucks, it is nice to use the electricity when at a campground, it saves propane and is quieter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Reinforced walls I believe make it possible to put hooks etc. into the walls -- or shelves.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Sorry if I mess this up by copying responses from another thread threw the first one out of whack.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I got the two-way water heater, and we've used it both ways. I looked at it as one more option when camping, and one added feature down the road to a potential buyer if I ever sell the trailer. Yes, you need to go outside to turn it on, but in the grand scheme of things that's not a big deal to me.

I seem to remember a thread either here or on FGRV where somewhere wired an inside switch for the two-way heater, but when I looked at my set-up, it looked forebodingly difficult, so I'm just getting used to things the way the are, at least for now.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' OTW
Hi and thanks for the responses. I'm going to spend some time searching other threads as mentioned. I thought someone had similar questions about the options and I'll start looking at what I find. I keep checking Jim's thread on the build, the pictures with descriptions are the draw for me. Thanks for putting those up Jim. All the people on this forum seem to be really fine people who like helping others find their way.

Thanks for that,
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You need to have the walls reinforced if you wish to hang anything from a television to magazine rack to towel rack. That's if you wish to use screws to afix the items. Doesn't mean you have to have all the walls done. Plan ahead and put some thought in how you wish to outfit your trailer for creature comforts.

There's only three walls in the new 5er, I'm getting them all done.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I got the two-way water heater, and we've used it both ways. I looked at it as one more option when camping, and one added feature down the road to a potential buyer if I ever sell the trailer. Yes, you need to go outside to turn it on, but in the grand scheme of things that's not a big deal to me.

I seem to remember a thread either here or on FGRV where somewhere wired an inside switch for the two-way heater, but when I looked at my set-up, it looked forebodingly difficult, so I'm just getting used to things the way the are, at least for now.
Before I added the inside switch for 120V to the water heater I just left the outside switch on all the time. The only time I turned it off was for sites that only had 15A hook ups. The water heater will run on gas with the 120V switch on...
Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have found that the water heater will heat the water to very hot in not very long. It can then be turned off. The water will stay hot for many hours except in the coldest weather. Jon will not burn out the heater element but many people do when leaving the heater on and forgetting at some time that they don't have water in it. We also always make sure the heater is off when leaving the trailer.

Having that hot water is one of the best features of the trailer to me. I keep thinking that it might not be a bad idea to carry an extra heating element.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #13

Yrs, it is a good habit to turn off the element, particularly if you drain the water heater for sanitary and weight reasons. All you need to do is hook up and poff, the element is gone.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Before I added the inside switch for 120V to the water heater I just left the outside switch on all the time. The only time I turned it off was for sites that only had 15A hook ups. The water heater will run on gas with the 120V switch on...
You can also use the breaker to turn the water heater on and off and don't need a separate switch. I was wondering if shutting off the main breaker would switch off the gas detectors and other parasitic devices when in storage.

Harris
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #15

I have a question on reinforced walls. Why can't you use expanding screws or "molly's" we call them here? They are made to hang things on hollow walls.

Harris
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
You can also use the breaker to turn the water heater on and off and don't need a separate switch. I was wondering if shutting off the main breaker would switch off the gas detectors and other parasitic devices when in storage.

Harris
You do have to remember that breakers are not designed to be used as everyday switches, and will wear out faster if used that way. They really should only be used to disconnect a circuit for working on it, or of course to do their intended job, and to trip an overloaded circuit.

You can just turn off the disconnect switch, and all DC loads will be isolated.

It is a real simple modification to add a switch in the circuit to the heater. I did just that, and added an indicator light as well to remind us it is on. I also added a light to the propane activation switch for the water heater too. They have been a valuable modification for us. I even saw someone had copied the propane switch idea, and is marketing it now.
LINK
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
I have a question on reinforced walls. Why can't you use expanding screws or "molly's" we call them here? They are made to hang things on hollow walls.

Harris
I see no reason you can't, you just have to take into account the narrowness of the stud cavity, and that you are installing them on thin plywood. For any light load, and one acting straight down, I would think the would work fine.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

Harris
As Jim said, the plywood is very thin. I've used expanding screws at home, and even though my house isn't traveling down the road, those screws have expanded the hole over time and come loose.

I favour the 3M Command line of products for coat hooks etc.
They are strong and easily removed and moved to another location without leaving a hole in the wall.

Command
Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On my current non fiberglass trailer I have the same thin walls. In the bathroom I've used toggle bolts to hang coat hooks, towel racks, and such. Due to the size of the hole you have to drill for them I used the toggle bolts to attach 1/2" oak to which I attached the accessories. Worked fine but I don't think I want to go that route when hanging items in the fiberglass bathroom. Being as how you can get solid walls here and there, I'll take them up on the option.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A couple questions if I can tack them on here.

If you got the aluminum wheels, did you get the spare done too?

Did anyone with a 21 get a counter extension, if so are you happy with it?

Where'd you get or wish you had gotten extra 12v outlets?

For the 5.0 owners, hows the default TV location work out for occasional use?

Tags
escape 21, questions