Quiet water pump - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 11:29 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Adding a small accumulator tank dramatically quietened our pump, with no additional changes made to the pump itself. That was a bonus, as the primary desired effect was smoothing out the spurt-spurt-spurt of the pump, which the accumulator did.
I think the soft washing machine hose performs a similar function by absorbing the pump pulses.

Interesting that the Shurflo instruction manual specifically says to NOT plumb the pump outlet directly to PEX or other hard pipe. Not sure why Escape would ignore that in their build process.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't know.

All I know is Pat has been through four pumps and I'm still on the one installed during the build, and that we switch it off when not in use.

As I said, "another possibility".
Or not.
At first I was going to suggest (actually make a wisecrack that) it's the hard water at Pat's location in eastern Ventura County. But then I thought, wait a minute, our water is just about as hard (20 miles away), and we're still on pump #1 (2015 Escape 17). And we switch it off when not using.

We have a 17A, so the pump doesn't run for any length of time. Come to think of it, our total water system is maybe 3 feet long: tank to pump to sink. It's a puzzle!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
IInteresting that the Shurflo instruction manual specifically says to NOT plumb the pump outlet directly to PEX or other hard pipe. Not sure why Escape would ignore that in their build process.
While the incorrect installation seems like a poor choice to save a dollar or two, my motorhome has the same flaw (on the output side)... my guess is that it is common in the industry.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quiet water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
I think the soft washing machine hose performs a similar function by absorbing the pump pulses.

Interesting that the Shurflo instruction manual specifically says to NOT plumb the pump outlet directly to PEX or other hard pipe. Not sure why Escape would ignore that in their build process.

I just realized that your 17B is a 2010. One of the things I’ve always loved about Escape is that historically they’ve always continuously improved their product - not just once a year with a tweaked model-year update - but whenever they find a better way to do something, they promptly start doing it. So sometime after they built your trailer nine years ago, but before they built mine two years ago, they switched to mounting the water pumps with a soft hose between the outlet and where the PEX starts, and they added a cushion of foam in the mount between pump and mount point. Here’s what mine looks like after i installed an accumulator. I didn’t add any hose or pipe in this install. I merely cut the soft hose in the middle and inserted the accumulator there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_59a1.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	41496Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3fd6.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	41497
Old 09-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Might think about changing to the currently installed water pump. Mine is very quiet. You do have to make sure the bypass valve is properly adjusted.
What is the currently installed pump? For many years Escape has been using the Shurflo 4008 (believe they still are) with an Artis pump threaded in their for a short time at some point.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 5.0
Quote:
Here's another possible reason. We are on water pump number one, as installed in 2008. We turn it on when water is needed and turn it off when no longer needed.
We also only turn the pump on when needed. Here is another reason why it is good practice to turn your water pump off when not in use. If your pump is on while you are away from your trailer and your toilet valve fails (seems to be quite common) you will have a flood in the bathroom.
Earlier this year, while camping in our 2013 5.0 SA, I heard a noise in the bathroom while I was at the kitchen sink. Water was gushing from behind the toilet. I was thankful that we had installed a water shut off valve ( I learned that from this forum). We shut the water off to the toilet and continued camping. And replaced the valve after we got home.

Nancy
08ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I don't know.

All I know is Pat has been through four pumps and I'm still on the one installed during the build, and that we switch it off when not in use.

As I said, "another possibility".
Or not.
Glen our reason for always shutting off pump was in case we forget or sleeping etc.,didn’t want any leaks or loss of water . So we turn it on only when we were using . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
What is the currently installed pump? For many years Escape has been using the Shurflo 4008 (believe they still are) with an Artis pump threaded in their for a short time at some point.
It is a 4008. Mine very quiet
Old 09-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
At first I was going to suggest (actually make a wisecrack that) it's the hard water at Pat's location in eastern Ventura County. But then I thought, wait a minute, our water is just about as hard (20 miles away), and we're still on pump #1 (2015 Escape 17). And we switch it off when not using.

We have a 17A, so the pump doesn't run for any length of time. Come to think of it, our total water system is maybe 3 feet long: tank to pump to sink. It's a puzzle!
Just saw this Don but our water distiller was installed in 1994 . We have the same Shurflo pump on system . The pump sends water on demand to the kitchen and refrigerator from it’s storage tank . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
9D72271F-5C4E-4A9B-8D3C-D5D84D521B3F.jpg   7E54156D-9030-4CC5-B4AF-AF0487792D58.jpg  
Old 09-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do you turn it off when not in use?
Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do you turn it off when not in use?
Bob it operates on 120 which is different . It has a 120 cord which I could disconnect from power and a off and on switch . I do need to cut power when I clean the top tank . Also if I was leaving home for a time . It is in the garage so it can’t damage too much . Also like in our trailer not worried about losing water . We only have 20 gal in our trailer . The point was really no good reason for these pumps to keep failing . Someone once told me from the forum maybe it was something to do with wiring . Don’t know . Knock on wood maybe changing the position and the things I added are helping . At least it is quiet. Pat
Old 09-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #32

Maybe failure rates are related to water quality? Some camp water sources have fine sediment, that if you don’t filter out end up going through the whole shebang.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Maybe failure rates are related to water quality? Some camp water sources have fine sediment, that if you don’t filter out end up going through the whole shebang.
That’s not it either . Always use a filter . Just stomped and carry a spare .But since the changes last one ( knock on wood ) is still going Pat
Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
An accumulator tank might also help dampen the noise significantly in addition to reducing how often the pump runs.
I really like the idea of an accumulator tank - may install one in my upcoming 17B. My inaugural trip x-c, when I pick it up next month, will help me decide.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Just curious...what was the failure? Pump did not work at all? Did not build pressure? Bled back and ran a lot? I know many parts of CA have hard water which a filter will not always remove as it is dissolved and that can build up in a pump as calcium deposits. My pump needed to be taken apart and cleaned when it arrived at its new home in VT from its previous home in Las Vegas. It has worked fine since although I do carry a spare! Oops this was meant for Pat and Linda!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Just curious...what was the failure? Pump did not work at all? Did not build pressure? Bled back and ran a lot? I know many parts of CA have hard water which a filter will not always remove as it is dissolved and that can build up in a pump as calcium deposits. My pump needed to be taken apart and cleaned when it arrived at its new home in VT from its previous home in Las Vegas. It has worked fine since although I do carry a spare! Oops this was meant for Pat and Linda!
Pump just died . Would not work . Even ordered new pump head pressure switch on one when we got home still wouldn’t work . Nothing . Dead . It is a mystery. Pat
Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Pump just died . Would not work . Even ordered new pump head pressure switch on one when we got home still wouldn’t work . Nothing . Dead . It is a mystery. Pat

So you have a 2013 trailer and are on your 4th water pump in that time, yes? And you’ve ruled out sediment, but not necessarily calcification?

Another thought is overvoltage, but I don’t remember the input range for these pumps off hand. Normally overvoltage only crops up as an issue with solar systems that are set up to correctly charge Interstate dual 6V batteries. And this normally means aftermarket solar controller, because the GoPower won’t reach Interstate’s kinda high recommended charging voltages, and the WFCO charger certainly won’t. Does any of this apply to you?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #38

Quote:
So you have a 2013 trailer and are on your 4th water pump in that time, yes? And you’ve ruled out sediment, but not necessarily calcification?

Another thought is overvoltage, but I don’t remember the input range for these pumps off hand. Normally overvoltage only crops up as an issue with solar systems that are set up to correctly charge Interstate dual 6V batteries. And this normally means aftermarket solar controller, because the GoPower won’t reach Interstate’s kinda high recommended charging voltages, and the WFCO charger certainly won’t. Does any of this apply to you?
Took pumps apart and no sediment or calcification . Did that after calling Shurflo .solar wasn’t introduced until last March or April last year . The controller is Victron . We do have dual batteries . If I remember a electrician from forum ,said something about wiring being the problem . Funny thing is really don’t use WFCO for charging , just the solar now or plugging in to 120. This last pump has lasted the longest now since solar install , changing position of pump , accumulator tank and 3 ft silencing kit from Shurflo . Besides being a pain to change out this pump , remembering in our previous camper and motorhome pump was installed horizontal not vertical so changed it to horizontal . I know the instructions say it doesn’t matter but I was desperate. One more item I changed , I changed the wiring for pump with new , longer . I also put on a new pigtail wire to pump . Pat
Old 09-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Took pumps apart and no sediment or calcification . Did that after calling Shurflo .solar wasn’t introduced until last March or April last year . The controller is Victron . We do have dual batteries . If I remember a electrician from forum ,said something about wiring being the problem . Funny thing is really don’t use WFCO for charging , just the solar now or plugging in to 120. This last pump has lasted the longest now since solar install , changing position of pump , accumulator tank and 3 ft silencing kit from Shurflo . Besides being a pain to change out this pump , remembering in our previous camper and motorhome pump was installed horizontal not vertical so changed it to horizontal . I know the instructions say it doesn’t matter but I was desperate. One more item I changed , I changed the wiring for pump with new , longer . I also put on a new pigtail wire to pump . Pat
I don’t believe the Victron will charge the 6 volt ‘s like they need either .
Old 09-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I can't seem to find detailed specs for voltage tolerances on the pump. If voltage is a bit too high, I'd expect the failure to be a torn membrane since it doesn't really have any delicate electronics to fry. A low voltage failure would probably involve a short in the motor coils from overheating.

I did notice that the current draw on the 4008 is a bit high, around 10A. I could definitely see undersized wiring or a loose connection causing voltage drop and overheating during sustained use.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote