Quiet water pump - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I installed an accumulator tank and now we leave the water switched off overnight as we get 3 to 4 flushes without the pump cutting on.
The pump is under the still sleeping persons head so that is what we were trying to solve.
Installation was easy once I had the correct fittings.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm looking forward to trying it. I think there is a piece of hose with fittings to allow me to just put it in series with the discharge side.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #63

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I installed an accumulator tank and now we leave the water switched off overnight as we get 3 to 4 flushes without the pump cutting on.
The pump is under the still sleeping persons head so that is what we were trying to solve.
Installation was easy once I had the correct fittings.
Glad to hear this worked for you. I plan to install one in my 17B, once it's home and I figure out how to do it.
Have lived with water pumps with little/no pressure tank 'help' -- it's a lot of work for them to activate with every turn of a faucet handle.
Though these camper pumps are 'set up' for such operation, it seems better to minimize their switching on/off as much possible.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I just picked up the batteries. They were $162 each. They also gave me a battery sling that hooks into the lugs on top of the battery. That should be a big help.

And....to get back to the original topic, I have an accumulator on the way! I discovered that the top mounting screw on our pump had worked loose allowing it to flop all around. That explains the intermittent noise in our case.
You will like the accumulator tank we love one of the improvements to water system also added the long 3 foot hoses changed the tank to horizontal instead of vertical will change the batteries in May too Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
My 2018 Escape 21 water pump is very loud. It's sounds like something loose is being beaten against something solid when the pump is running. I'm reading that several installations are faulty and become loose. That's probably my problem, but it looks secure, mounted vertical with foam against a bulkhead.

I think the noise is coming from something loose on the other side of the plywood bulkhead it's mounted to. Unfortunately, the other side is under the refrigerator and appears not accessible without cutting an opening. I could cut an opening into the bulkhead the pump is mounted to, or cut an opening into the cabinet under the refrigerator. Or, removed the refrigerator, but not going there. Cutting into the bulkhead either side is a little scary, there are hoses and wires on the other side I can't see.

Anyone with 2018 Escape 21 and noisy water pump that has fixed the noise?, please chime in.

Also, will someone please explain how/ why an accumulator tank works? The water lines are already an accumulator and under pressure, so why would an extra tank between the pump and the faucet help?

I normally use the water pump instead of connecting to city water so my water pump gets lots of use. After 15 years of camping, just seems easier to me.

Also, like others, I turn off the water pump anytime I leave the trailer, and at night before I go to sleep. If I leave the pump on, it will always run just a little in the middle of the night and wake me, which is a bummer.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
For whatever its worth - probably not much:
The quietest water pump I have ever been around was a foot pump made by Whale. I'm sorry I didn't have one installed in my 17. That pump made it easy to conserve water. It was a single action pump that pumped when you stepped on the rubber pump dome … the fancier double stroke pump was much harder to control water flow.
I boon dock a lot so water conservation is important to me. I'm eyeballing my electric pump ….
Tom
Old 11-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
My 2018 Escape 21 water pump is very loud. It's sounds like something loose is being beaten against something solid when the pump is running. I'm reading that several installations are faulty and become loose. That's probably my problem, but it looks secure, mounted vertical with foam against a bulkhead.

I think the noise is coming from something loose on the other side of the plywood bulkhead it's mounted to. Unfortunately, the other side is under the refrigerator and appears not accessible without cutting an opening. I could cut an opening into the bulkhead the pump is mounted to, or cut an opening into the cabinet under the refrigerator. Or, removed the refrigerator, but not going there. Cutting into the bulkhead either side is a little scary, there are hoses and wires on the other side I can't see.

Anyone with 2018 Escape 21 and noisy water pump that has fixed the noise?, please chime in.

Also, will someone please explain how/ why an accumulator tank works? The water lines are already an accumulator and under pressure, so why would an extra tank between the pump and the faucet help?

I normally use the water pump instead of connecting to city water so my water pump gets lots of use. After 15 years of camping, just seems easier to me.

Also, like others, I turn off the water pump anytime I leave the trailer, and at night before I go to sleep. If I leave the pump on, it will always run just a little in the middle of the night and wake me, which is a bummer.
Our water pump is under the bed and was very noisy . Adding the accumulator tank and I added the 2 3 foot silencing hoses and our pump is pretty quiet now . I also took it off the wall and installed it horizontal instead of vertical . Don’t know if that was necessary but it was installed that way on our 2 previous Rv’s . We also turn pump off and if you have those hoses and tank you will have a little bit of water before pump will start and fill . Kind of like that too but it is very noticeably quiet . Pat
Old 11-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #68

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Somebody asked how/ why an accumulator tank works?

An accumulator tank is a water chamber which has a pre-pressurized internal air bladder. They are installed in the pressured side of your pump and dampen water pressure 'spikes', reduce pump cycling, help increase the pump's life and also save battery power.

When the water pump turns on, its pressure pushes against the air bladder in the chamber and compresses it, raising the air pressure behind the bladder. When the pump shuts off, the air pressure behind the bladder helps keep pressure in the water system for a longer time than it would otherwise, allowing more water (the water pushed into the bladder) to flow before the pressure drops enough to trigger the water pump to turn on.

Accumulators are not too expensive and easy to install. Just make sure the water connection is at the bottom so all the water drains out when winterizing. The bladders eventually fail and the accumulator will need to be replaced but in the meantime, they're great.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check all your fittings and mounts on the pump, insure you have flexible feeds that absorb the vibration. Your pump running without use indicates a leak somewhere.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #70

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...insure you have flexible feeds that absorb the vibration.
Do all newer Escapes come stock with flexible inlet and outlet lines? Our 2010 did not have them and it made a significant difference in reduced noise after they were added.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96
Old 11-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe they do now, mine has them....
Old 11-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #72

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Repeated water pump failure

I recently replaced my water pump for the second time. First time was due to inability to adjust pressure for proper shut off. Second time was a pump that simply wouldn’t run all.
After replacing the second pump, I took it apart and discovered that a small amount of water had leaked or spilled from somewhere around the pump head and then ran down into the top of the pump motor. This resulted in corrosion to the pump’s top bearing and armature which seized up as a result.
In hindsight, the water that did the damage could have possibly been spilled by me when I was working on replacing the first pump.
With the vertical pump mounting position used by Escape, any water spillage when removing the pump head or leakage around a loose head is going to end up in the motor’s bearings.
A horizontal pump position would not have this problem since the water spilled would have simply ran harmlessly to the floor rather than into the pump motor.
I would caution anyone working on their vertically mounted water pump to be extremely cautious that you keep the pump head tightly screwed down and do not spill any water from the hoses or elsewhere in the area of the top of the pump motor. The pump head is sealed to the top of the motor and spilled water should not affect it, but the potential for this problem exists whenever the pump head is removed for cleaning or checking. A better solution would be to also change the pump mounting position to horizontal while you are at it.
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post

In some ways this is correct. But the difference is that the water lines are not normally holding compressed air, whereas an accumulator is built with a quart to a few gallons (depending on size) of compressed air in a bag. Water doesn't expand or contract under pressure (normal Earth pressures), but air does - enough to force water back into the lines and out of the tank. That gives you the "smoothing effect". (Also helps keeps the peace during those early AM pee visits since the pump can be turned off at night.)

But read the hints above regarding making the system more quiet. Everything helps...
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Do all newer Escapes come stock with flexible inlet and outlet lines? Our 2010 did not have them and it made a significant difference in reduced noise after they were added.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96
Yup Dave that’s also the kit I installed . Those hoses’s are 3 ft long too. Pat
Old 11-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLB View Post
I recently replaced my water pump for the second time. First time was due to inability to adjust pressure for proper shut off. Second time was a pump that simply wouldn’t run all.
After replacing the second pump, I took it apart and discovered that a small amount of water had leaked or spilled from somewhere around the pump head and then ran down into the top of the pump motor. This resulted in corrosion to the pump’s top bearing and armature which seized up as a result.
In hindsight, the water that did the damage could have possibly been spilled by me when I was working on replacing the first pump.
With the vertical pump mounting position used by Escape, any water spillage when removing the pump head or leakage around a loose head is going to end up in the motor’s bearings.
A horizontal pump position would not have this problem since the water spilled would have simply ran harmlessly to the floor rather than into the pump motor.
I would caution anyone working on their vertically mounted water pump to be extremely cautious that you keep the pump head tightly screwed down and do not spill any water from the hoses or elsewhere in the area of the top of the pump motor. The pump head is sealed to the top of the motor and spilled water should not affect it, but the potential for this problem exists whenever the pump head is removed for cleaning or checking. A better solution would be to also change the pump mounting position to horizontal while you are at it.
Didn’t know the reason , just going by 2previous rv’s but besides the other changes I made took pump off the vertical position and installed it horizontal like we had before in previous rv’s . We went through 3 replacement pumps and am on number 4 now . This has been the longest use of this 4 th pump since changes and it is quiet now too. Who knew ! Pat
Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Didn’t know the reason , just going by 2previous rv’s but besides the other changes I made took pump off the vertical position and installed it horizontal like we had before in previous rv’s . We went through 3 replacement pumps and am on number 4 now . This has been the longest use of this 4 th pump since changes and it is quiet now too. Who knew ! Pat
I would like to add trailer is now 6 years old . Going through 3 pumps and now on 4 th , something was wrong . Previous rv’s were bought used and each owned a additional 12 years each . Only once changed to a new pump on the little motorhome which had same pump over 19 years . The 9 1/2 camper bought used , never needed to change pump which was 21 years old when we sold it for new trailer . Also have a water distiller that brings water into kitchen , Shurflo 25 years old now . Pat
Old 11-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I just realized that your 17B is a 2010. One of the things I’ve always loved about Escape is that historically they’ve always continuously improved their product - not just once a year with a tweaked model-year update - but whenever they find a better way to do something, they promptly start doing it. So sometime after they built your trailer nine years ago, but before they built mine two years ago, they switched to mounting the water pumps with a soft hose between the outlet and where the PEX starts, and they added a cushion of foam in the mount between pump and mount point. Here’s what mine looks like after i installed an accumulator. I didn’t add any hose or pipe in this install. I merely cut the soft hose in the middle and inserted the accumulator there.

Attachment 41496Attachment 41497

I'm interested in installing an accumulator. Your installation looks very well done. Which accumulator did you buy? Did you need any additional fittings or have other issues when installing it? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #78

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I'm interested in installing an accumulator. Your installation looks very well done. Which accumulator did you buy? Did you need any additional fittings or have other issues when installing it? Thanks.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post260175
Old 11-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #79

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I got mine from Backstop
Lots of odd fittings were involved, including some from Sharkbite. The first photo has some specific notes (in hard-to-read pink.)
Worked well over the last 5 years.
--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Expansion Tank - outside.jpg   IMG_1439.jpg   IMG_1440.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #80

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
You'll find lots of online resources if you search for:

"RV water expansion tank"

Here's one with lots of photos and parts list:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...res-13310.html

Interesting to note that the author discusses how the tank helps prevent the hot water tank pressure release valve from weeping. No discussion about mounting the tank horizontally and how that might make draining for winterizing a problem.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote