Raising a 2004 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 17B
Raising a 2004 17B

Hello Folks,

I have a 2004 17B being towed by a 2005 Toyota Tundra. I seem to bottom out the front jack and the front two stabilizer jacks quite often and would like to raise the whole rig. My family and I like to camp and explore rougher roads and unimproved campsites and would like trailer clearance to match truck clearance.

Has anyone done this? Any pictures out there? Recommendations on where to get it done in BC? ETI said they can do it but I'm wondering if the community has some ideas.

Cheers
Todd
TBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I had the high lift kit in our 5.0 removed by the people who build the Escape frames. They have installed the high lift kit in other Escapes. They know the trailer and they know what they are doing and they have the tools to do it. It took a couple of hours. ETI can give you the contact information. Earlier in the year Reace had a supply of wheels and larger tires that were only used on the 5.0. If the wheel well is the same on your trailer as on the 5.0 then you should be able to go with the taller tire as well.
Hope this helps.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That's good info from GerriJ.

I have yet to see the high lift kit, but my understanding is that it is a spacer between the suspension (axle) brackets and the frame; this is the normal method of raising trailers with Torflex suspension. You can also completely replace the Torflex with one having the arms angled more downward, but there are limits to how much you want to change that angle... and it is not cheap to replace the whole thing.

Also, note that it's hard to get much more ground clearance through an increase in overall tire diameter, because the trailer only goes up by the amount of tire radius increase (half the diameter increase).

Escape tire sizes have changed over the years, and a 2004 is pretty early for Escape - what size is on your 17B, Todd?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 17B
Thanks for the good info so far. I was under the impression that it was ETI that did the lifting, so I am curious to hear who it is they refer me to.
I have 14" tires/wheels. I realize the way to get lift is via the frame not tire size, tho if I lift the frame I may as well get a bigger tire to add a little more to the whole height.
TBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAM View Post
I have 14" tires/wheels.
That presumably means ST205/75R14, which have an overall diameter of 26.1" (663 mm).

The current size used by Escape for the 17' is ST205/75R15 (27.1" or 668 mm)... a 1/2" lift. The extra-large size from Escape (which I think were used on the classic 5.0 near the end) are ST225/75R15; those would be 28.3" (719 mm) overall, for about an inch (28 mm) lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAM View Post
I realize the way to get lift is via the frame not tire size, tho if I lift the frame I may as well get a bigger tire to add a little more to the whole height.
I agree, particularly for rough roads where the larger-diameter tire will ride better over potholes, and the higher sidewalls will absorb shocks better.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Sorry I can't be certain but I believe the firm that builds and modifies the frames for Escape are Level Fabricators on McGuire Road (off Prest Road) located in a rural part of Chilliwack, south east of the city. The lift is a section of 1.5" steel tubing so a 1" increase in clearance using taller tires is a 66% increase over the 1.5" raise. Believe me you will notice it and will need to do something about the step into the trailer. A two step version of the step currently used on the Escape is available. We used a small folding step stool and due to several almost sprained ankles would not do that again.
Hope this helps as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Sorry I can't be certain but I believe the firm that builds and modifies the frames for Escape are Level Fabricators on McGuire Road (off Prest Road) located in a rural part of Chilliwack, south east of the city.
Interesting info - thanks!

The Level Fab web site doesn't give a lot of detail; I'm sure this is a business which expects to respond personally to your query.

An Escape frame photo appears in the Custom Fabrication image collection. Based on the bend up in the tongue, and the tubing size (same in the main frame and rear stepped-up section), I'm guessing the one in the photo is coincidentally a 17'.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

Trailer: n/a
this trailer was advertised for sale on this forum and on the link below. might help you track down some info.

"Suspension is Dexter Torque-flex"

FS: Escape 17 Travel Trailer, CO - Expedition Portal

bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #9

I'm curious about the 4" factory lift with 6" overall. I realize the 30" tires fill the wheel well and the look can be deceiving but it doesn't look that much higher. Here's our 5.0 with 1.5" "factory" lift and 225-75R-15 tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Jesse M Honeyman State Park (2).jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

That previous picture is deceiving with our trailer on a 1" block. Here it is on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Nehalem Bay State Park.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
this trailer was advertised for sale on this forum and on the link below. might help you track down some info.

"Suspension is Dexter Torque-flex"

FS: Escape 17 Travel Trailer, CO - Expedition Portal
Thanks for the interesting link. "Torque-flex" in the ad is supposed to be Torflex, of course - that name is often corrupted.

Even with the lift, the 30" tall tires look like a questionable fit - staying with no larger than the ST225/75R15 seems like a better idea to me.

Tags
17b, lift, raising