Range Hood - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Myron what are you digging for ? Pat
Building a composting toilet.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Building a composting toilet.
Nah! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
We are currently working on our build sheet for a 19. Thoughts concerning having or not having a range hood. Anyone wish they didn't get it or decided not to get it but in hindsight wished they had. Decisions, decisions. Thanks a million.
Hi Mcdonner , It is your choice to delete the range hood . We also have the 19 . The range hood is for a good reason , exhausting out the steam ,cooking gease , etc. The Max fan is really for exhausting moisture . Our trailers are a small space even if you have a fifth wheel , not like your home . Have you ever cleaned the vent over stove at home ? That will be on your cabinet's . The vent contains all that and is easier to clean . You can say I will cook outside . Ok what if it is cold and raining and you didn't count on that ? The light can be changed out for a led . The fan is very noisey . I removed the charcoal out of the filter , it was restricting the air flow and it works a lot better . As for adding a light there , you have a light over the sink and in the center of ceiling . We use the ceiling light that is in the center a lot . Those lights are pretty bright . In fact that is one of the good things about these trailers , lot's of light . The max fan gets pretty dirty all by itself . I have cleaned ours 3 times now . If you want a vent more streamlined , maybe see if Escape will put one you get, in for you .
We have no problem with the one Escape supplies , it is the stainless ,Same as what we have at home . We have had a hood vent in every RV we have ever owned . Last one camper smaller then the trailer . It is your decision , just giving you some things to think
about . Pat
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Not getting vent in my next trailer. Never used this one.

Now if there was a half-size hood, I might consider that.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 AM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
We have one of a few early 19's made that have a recirculating range hood. Same brand and looks identical to the vented hood but no outside exhaust connection. Probably better with nothing over the stove at all. Researched vented hoods and most are pretty junky. A previous thread had included this Dometic CK500 hood that has several features that appear to address the issues people raise with the stock hood. It has a bright LED light strip, variable speed fans and only sticks out the depth of the cabinet. Also includes a digital clock. It is not available until "sometime this summer" according to a Camping World rep that spoke direct to someone at Dometic. Looking forward to seeing the cost on this and possibly installing. I'll post to the forum if I complete this mod.

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...-Web_32002.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
No reason for me personally not to have it. Never have hit my head, looks fine to me especially in the matching stainless, don't need any addl light, cook outside mostly but have used the vent fan when cooking inside, etc. If there is some compelling history with vent fans that the OP has like some have stated here then don't get it, if not, I'd get it and move to next item on the sheet.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Don't know why someone had little light. Ours has a good light. Don't care about the noise as it is only on a short time and not trying to sleep with it as the A/C. Vents well. Have one of those children's pads on it for possible hitting head problem. Maxx fan is too far away as far as I am concerned.

The new one above looks nice for those who might get it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd really have to go out of my way to bump my head on the range hood in my 17B. It obstructs no view because it is next to the bath wall.
I think, if you don't want one, don't get it. However the savings are negligible. And it makes no noise if you don't turn it on.
If you opt not to get it, you can come over and use mine.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We have one of a few early 19's made that have a recirculating range hood. Same brand and looks identical to the vented hood but no outside exhaust connection. Probably better with nothing over the stove at all. Researched vented hoods and most are pretty junky. A previous thread had included this Dometic CK500 hood that has several features that appear to address the issues people raise with the stock hood. It has a bright LED light strip, variable speed fans and only sticks out the depth of the cabinet. Also includes a digital clock. It is not available until "sometime this summer" according to a Camping World rep that spoke direct to someone at Dometic. Looking forward to seeing the cost on this and possibly installing. I'll post to the forum if I complete this mod.

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...-Web_32002.pdf
That looks pretty neat . Pat
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We rarely cook inside but on the rare occasion we do, I would not be without a range hood. The MaxxFan will work, but I too do not want to drag moisture/contaminant/grease laden air across the ceiling and through it.

I do plan to eliminate the range hood on my 5.0TA, but plan on installing one myself, most likely the one I posted many months ago, and linked to a few posts ago, the Dometic CK500. It has two variable speed fans. It was supposed to be released this spring, but has yet to.

Click on photos for links.

Another option I am considering is this Australian range hood. The company selling it will ship worldwide. This one has a two, two-speed fans.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Both very nice looking, Jim Bennett. Either hood should end the debate about whether or not to get a hood.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Either hood should end the debate about whether or not to get a hood.
Don't hold your breath.

Yeah, either would be a very classy update.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
We have the range hood. Never use the light -- too dim, so use the light over the sink instead. Rarely use the fan, too noisy, very ineffective, and often need to run outside to open the vent because we always forget! When needed, we usually just turn on the maxfan.

We added a toggle switch to the smoke detector and only turn it at night.
There are available LED bulbs which are much brighter.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #54

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't hold your breath.

Ron
Don't!!! You have to vent!!!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
LOL! And we would rather it not vent out the other end.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Oh geez, I find these threads that go off track, well, exhausting to follow.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #58

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...the Dometic CK500. It has two variable speed fans. It was supposed to be released this spring, but has yet to.
I'm losing faith that Dometic will actually release this unit. A Dometic rep told me today to call a dealer when I know the dealer will only be calling Dometic. That's what Camping World did when I called a few months ago. Strangely, this exact unit appears to already be available overseas and marketed by a company called Sphere, model TCR-001. When I study the install closer it appears it should be recessed (note the unfinished side panel in your previous post). Does any know why these nicer hoods are not more readily available in the U.S. and Canada?

SPHERE: 12V Touch Control Rangehood - LED Light. 530 x 304 x 60mm | Caravan 12V Rangehoods & Parts | CaravansPlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another option I am considering is this Australian range hood. The company selling it will ship worldwide.
Jim, I'm now leaning towards the Australian hood by Camec, but the website doesn't seem to accommodate US shipping. Did you confirm with someone from the company that they will definitely ship worldwide?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I'm losing faith that Dometic will actually release this unit. A Dometic rep told me today to call a dealer when I know the dealer will only be calling Dometic. That's what Camping World did when I called a few months ago. Strangely, this exact unit appears to already be available overseas and marketed by a company called Sphere, model TCR-001. When I study the install closer it appears it should be recessed (note the unfinished side panel in your previous post). Does any know why these nicer hoods are not more readily available in the U.S. and Canada?

SPHERE: 12V Touch Control Rangehood - LED Light. 530 x 304 x 60mm | Caravan 12V Rangehoods & Parts | CaravansPlus

Jim, I'm now leaning towards the Australian hood by Camec, but the website doesn't seem to accommodate US shipping. Did you confirm with someone from the company that they will definitely ship worldwide?
After my first inquiry last year, Dometic was great responding, saying it should be ready for shipping by spring, and to watch for it from dealers. I got back to them a month or so ago inquiring as to a revised ETA, and heard nothing. I called a local dealership who checked with them, and could find nothing more than I did, that there was no item on the books for this range hood, so I suspect the wait could be some time yet, for sure.

Good find on that other hood. No doubt it is the same one. I had considered a recessed mount, but I think it would be fine surface mounted too. Worst case scenario would be a stainless steel side would be needed on one side, with the other against a gable anyway.

I know in the past I had a quote for shipping form Camec, but can't seem to be able to get one. I think I will fire them an email. They did respond with a few requests before.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I punched in my zip code and got $13 to ship