Range Hood - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
My sentiments exactly! Replacing the dim incandescent bulb with an LED did wonders.

It does make it brighter Chuck, and we replaced ours probably our first night out with the trailer.

But, it does nothing to address the noise and insufficient fan for venting cooking odors and steam. That's what a range hood is supposed to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #82

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It does make it brighter Chuck, and we replaced ours probably our first night out with the trailer.

But, it does nothing to address the noise and insufficient fan for venting cooking odors and steam. That's what a range hood is supposed to do.

Robert if your vent filter has the charcoal in the filter , it I very restrictive . I removed mine and the air movement is now very good .it will exhaust like it is supposed to outside. It will move the steam out . The screen will still trap . I just can't see spending hundreds on a trailer vent hood . Wish our engineer's here on the forum can come up with a fix like we did with our refrigerators . The one's out there are just too expensive and I think a rip off . My stainless Broan in my home didn't cost what they charge for RV vents . Just my thought . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #83

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:

Robert,
I put in one of these and the vent works great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Robert if your vent filter has the charcoal in the filter , it is very restrictive. I removed mine and the air movement is now very good.
That's true. But, I've found that even with the charcoal mat removed, the airflow isn't really sufficient for all that noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I just can't see spending hundreds on a trailer vent hood.
True, but everyone has their own idea of what's excessive. Used to tent camp. Now that I'm in a position to get nicer things, I don't mind spending a little more for a well made or engineered product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Robert, I put in one of these and the vent works great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, they're less restrictive. We have one. But, again, I still think the performance of the hood isn't very good. The retrofit kit I ordered should change that, as well as reducing the noise, give me 3 levels of light, and 3 fan speeds. Worth it to me, but again, it's just an opinion.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #85

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
That's true. But, I've found that even with the charcoal mat removed, the airflow isn't really sufficient for all that noise.

True, but everyone has their own idea of what's excessive. Used to tent camp. Now that I'm in a position to get nicer things, I don't mind spending a little more for a well made or engineered product.

Yes, they're less restrictive. We have one. But, again, I still think the performance of the hood isn't very good. The retrofit kit I ordered should change that, as well as reducing the noise, give me 3 levels of light, and 3 fan speeds. Worth it to me, but again, it's just an opinion.
I forgot Robert I also moved the fan I think it was up on top where it attaches .That maybe helped too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mines actually pretty good. Maybe just a bit noisy but not horrible since it doesn't run much not really an issue. There was no filter in ours, so maybe Reace started removing them. Airflow is pretty good and definitely blows the flap open. Wouldn't be an area I personally would want any change at the present.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of this hot air about moving hot air, irony at its best.....
Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #88

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I ordered one of the retrofit kits and will post how the install goes.
I just got done this morning installing the Fabulous Operating Products SAM-1 hood retrofit kit. Quite a bit of work since I started with a recirculating hood, but it came out very well. All I can say is the 3 speed fan, two level LED and internal slide damper are spectacular. It moves a lot of air at very reasonable noise levels. The product is very well made and I highly recommend for someone that doesn't mind a small project with huge benefits. I will post a few pics and some airflow data when I have a chance.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I just got done this morning installing the Fabulous Operating Products SAM-1 hood retrofit kit. Quite a bit of work since I started with a recirculating hood, but it came out very well. All I can say is the 3 speed fan, two level LED and internal slide damper are spectacular. It moves a lot of air at very reasonable noise levels. The product is very well made and I highly recommend for someone that doesn't mind a small project with huge benefits. I will post a few pics and some airflow data when I have a chance.
Thanks for reporting back. This certainly look like, and sounds like, a good unit.

I love the idea of the internal damper, and the better specs on the other features are bonus?

Looking forward to seeing your photos. Do you think it would be something good to retrofit into a custom made unit, for my custom cabinetry I am going to do?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Do you think it would be something good to retrofit into a custom made unit, for my custom cabinetry I am going to do?
I think it is definitely possible. It appears the inlet of this could even be ducted if it was a remote mount. Might have to run the higher speeds to get the flow with increased pressure drop but it definitely seems capable. The switching would need to be figured out though because the current design relies on the hood mounted switches as on/off and you reach under onto the fan box for the 3 fan and 2 light settings. In other words if you wire direct to the pigtail on the SAM-1 you would have no off position.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
If the MaxxFan and bathroom exhaust fan are on at the same time, you need to make sure there are enough open windows. The other fans are more powerful and will try to pull air back from the kitchen fan vent as soon as it opens. Also wind direction may affect how well the kitchen fan works if other fans are also exhausting air.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #92

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
If the MaxxFan and bathroom exhaust fan are on at the same time, you need to make sure there are enough open windows. The other fans are more powerful and will try to pull air back from the kitchen fan vent as soon as it opens. Also wind direction may affect how well the kitchen fan works if other fans are also exhausting air.
Now I hope people get it I didn't want it
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #93

Quote:
I think it is definitely possible. It appears the inlet of this could even be ducted if it was a remote mount. Might have to run the higher speeds to get the flow with increased pressure drop but it definitely seems capable. The switching would need to be figured out though because the current design relies on the hood mounted switches as on/off and you reach under onto the fan box for the 3 fan and 2 light settings. In other words if you wire direct to the pigtail on the SAM-1 you would have no off position.
I wasn't thinking remote, but that is another good thought. I think direct would have less resistance with a short air path.

I am thinking just building a place to house it flush to the bottom of the cabinets. How tall is the unit?

Seeing a couple of you have reported good service from calling them, maybe I will do the same and get their thoughts on this too.

Not too many photos of the actual unit out there, that I have seen anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #94

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Might be worth getting some pre-install pictures from one of the folks that's about to install one.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #95
Site Team

Range Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Might be worth getting some pre-install pictures from one of the folks that's about to install one.

I received the SAM-1 last Friday. The packaging was excellent and the unit appears to be very well made. I'm in Silicon Valley on business this week, and my schedule for the near future is pretty much all business trips, so it could be awhile before I get to the install. Once I do, I'll document the process. Biggest issue when retrofitting it into a Heng's hood (the SAM-1 is designed to direct fit a Ventline) is that the tin box on the Heng's isn't screwed in place but spot welded. Have to drill out the spot welds, and the rest of the install is straightforward.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #96

Quote:
I received the SAM-1 last Friday. The packaging was excellent and the unit appears to be very well made. I'm in Silicon Valley on business this week, and my schedule for the near future is pretty much all business trips, so it could be awhile before I get to the install. Once I do, I'll document the process. Biggest issue when retrofitting it into a Heng's hood (the SAM-1 is designed to direct fit a Ventline) is that the tin box on the Heng's isn't screwed in place but spot welded. Have to drill out the spot welds, and the rest of the install is straightforward.

You are sure doing some nice upgrades on your trailer, looking forward to seeing your report of your process with this.

This is just the kind of thing I refer to when folks are stressing out over a build sheet. There is not much that can't be done after the fact, so long as you get the important things done during the build if you will want them, like the insulation and windows.

One great thing about doing these upgrades on an Escape, is that you know you are doing it to a quality built unit, rather than putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #97

Quote:
I am thinking just building a place to house it flush to the bottom of the cabinets. How tall is the unit?

Seeing a couple of you have reported good service from calling them, maybe I will do the same and get their thoughts on this too.
I don't have exact measurements on hand but I would estimate it is about 5" tall. It doesn't hang below the bottom face of the Heng's hood enclosure which I know is 5.25" high.

I would definitely call Larry at FOP. He was very helpful and generous with his time.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #98

Quote:
I don't have exact measurements on hand but I would estimate it is about 5" tall. It doesn't hang below the bottom face of the Heng's hood enclosure which I know is 5.25" high.

I would definitely call Larry at FOP. He was very helpful and generous with his time.
Larry did give me a call earlier, and we chatted a bunch. Good helpful guy. It is just as I expected, and will definitely work, I just have to build it in, or build a hood, somehow. Part of me would like to inset it right up into the upper cabinets, and not have it drop below. We will have to see.

The measurements are 4 1/2H x 12D x 9 1/2W. I wish it was not so tall, but it is what it is.

Another plus is that I would not need an exterior hood near as big as the stock ones. The one he supplies is sized to fit existing holes. I forget the measurement he said, but it might be tough to find something that would work.

Not having the trailer yet, and with a looming mail strike up here, I will not likely order for a while, but at this point this option has moved to the top of the list.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #99

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... It is just as I expected, and will definitely work, I just have to build it in, or build a hood, somehow. Part of me would like to inset it right up into the upper cabinets, and not have it drop below.
For the hood - whether full depth of the fan or just to shroud the bottom of the cabinet for a fan recessed into the cabinet - there are probably some fabrication shops with expertise in stainless steel who are currently nearly idle and looking for non-oilfield work, even tiny custom jobs. You might need to go up to Leduc to find them. There are the usual commercial kitchen equipment fabricators, but I assume that they wouldn't be particularly cheap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #100

Quote:
Another plus is that I would not need an exterior hood near as big as the stock ones. The one he supplies is sized to fit existing holes. I forget the measurement he said, but it might be tough to find something that would work.
Jim I too thought since I was starting with a recirc hood that I would be able to cut only the small opening for the fan outlet. The project started that way, but the problem is that even when cutting off the back collar of the exterior vent as much as possible it still has a thick protrusion that does not allow a flush mount on the trailer. The vent from FOP is so well made I decided to cut the hole larger and use it as designed. I used a Dremel on the exterior so the insulation/wall covering was left intact within the larger opening. I used some high grade foil tape as a layer of protection and then secured the vent. It comes with a foam gasket, but I opted for butyl tape instead. It came out looking really nice. Another thing to keep in mind is the higher you go you will be dealing with more curvature in the wall. Even in the stock hood location on the 19 I had to add an extra layer of butyl tape to pad out the top of the vent a little. I wish you luck, but I agree it may be difficult to find a smaller vent of similar quality.