Range Hood - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know in the past I had a quote for shipping form Camec, but can't seem to be able to get one. I think I will fire them an email. They did respond with a few requests before.
I heard back quick, as it is early morning tomorrow there. They no longer offer international shipping. Too bad, they have a lot of cool stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Does any know why these nicer hoods are not more readily available in the U.S. and Canada?
My guess is that not enough people here are willing to pay for better-quality RV parts. Cheap volume is the motto of the North American RV industry (with exceptions, of course ).

The manual on that website indicates the supplier as "Coast RV Pty Ltd, trading as Coast to Coast RV Services". Coast to Coast appears to be a wholesale distributor, rather than a manufacturer, so I assume that someone else is making the range hood and branding it "Sphere" (Coast's electrical appliance brand) just for Coast to Coast. Their dealer listing page indicates that all of them are in Australia - perhaps one of those dealers would send product here, but other than tediously checking out each of them I don't know how to tell.

The alternative would be to find who makes it for Coast to Coast, and see who else they make it for... but I'm guessing that company has probably just been acquired by Dometic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #63

Quote:
When I study the install closer it appears it should be recessed (note the unfinished side panel in your previous post).
I agree - that's what the Sphere manual shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had considered a recessed mount, but I think it would be fine surface mounted too. Worst case scenario would be a stainless steel side would be needed on one side, with the other against a gable anyway.
I agree - you could mount it with screw though the holes in the top, and attach whatever you want as a side panel (perhaps using the side mounting holes), such as stainless, or wood matched to the cabinets, or just about any sheet material in a complementary finish. It has a black glass front - you could use a black acrylic side (with polished edges).
Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #64

From Dometic this morning regarding the CK 500.

Quote:
That range hood is still going through the approval process so it may be the 4th quarter. As of right now, we do not have an exact release date.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #65

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
retrofit kit

I would rather put the $200 towards a new hood, but has anyone tried this SAM-1 retrofit from Fabulous Operating Products LLC? It apparently is not the easiest on the Heng's model hood due to the spot welding of the original fan enclosure to the hood, but can be done. It gets you a quieter 3 speed fan with much greater capacity, an LED light with two levels of brightness and a slide damper that is indoors (eliminating the outside flapper that must be secured). Note that original fan and light switch on face of hood stay intact and new switches for fan speed and LED brightness are on the new fan enclosure.

www.billgehr.com/images/TL_2015-04_Overhead_Overhaul.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
SAM-1.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #66

Quote:
... has anyone tried this SAM-1 retrofit from Fabulous Operating Products LLC?
It gets you a quieter 3 speed fan with much greater capacity, an LED light with two levels of brightness and a slide damper that is indoors (eliminating the outside flapper that must be secured).
That's interesting. Since little if anything of the original hood is used other than the outer case, this looks like it has potential for someone talented in cabinetry - perhaps Chris R, Ian G, etc - to make a custom hood to suit their style and functional requirements.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's interesting. Since little if anything of the original hood is used other than the outer case, this looks like it has potential for someone talented in cabinetry - perhaps Chris R, Ian G, etc - to make a custom hood to suit their style and functional requirements.
Free fix remove the charcoal filter which restricts air flow . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The "maybe some day Dometic" or the Camec Range Hood both look like good alternatives to the stock Escape supplied hood. My biggest problem with the standard hood is at 6', I can't see the back of the stove when standing in front of it without ducking or standing back against the refrigerator.

Still, since I don't cook anything but an occasional soup inside, I'll probably skip any of them...
Old 06-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My biggest problem with the standard hood is at 6', I can't see the back of the stove when standing in front of it without ducking or standing back against the refrigerator.
That's a reason to make a custom housing which doesn't protrude as far... if you have a use for a hood, of course.

I think this is more of an issue in RVs than in houses because the upper cabinets in RVs don't step up as much (if at all) over the stove, so the hood is lower.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
and a slide damper that is indoors (eliminating the outside flapper that must be secured).
I like that feature.

Hmm, that gets me thinking, and that's sometimes not a good thing. I have some left over push-pull solenoids. Maybe I could use one of those to do the same thing and save having to do the exterior lock and unlock routine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I like that feature.

Hmm, that gets me thinking, and that's sometimes not a good thing. I have some left over push-pull solenoids. Maybe I could use one of those to do the same thing and save having to do the exterior lock and unlock routine.

Ron
Hi Ron take a look at Rob and Linda's Airstream cooking vent . Where do you get that one ? They are forum members they had the Casita that Rob made their own , sold it . Someone was very lucky .Pat
Old 06-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #72

Quote:
...It gets you a quieter 3 speed fan with much greater capacity, an LED light with two levels of brightness and a slide damper that is indoors (eliminating the outside flapper that must be secured). Note that original fan and light switch on face of hood stay intact and new switches for fan speed and LED brightness are on the new fan enclosure.

Some more information since I spoke with the owner Larry at Fabulous Operating Products at length this morning. His brother was the originator of the Fan-Tastic fan that many know as the competitor with Maxx Fan. He indicated that the fan capacity is such that only low needs to be used for cooking and that medium and high can be used to ventilate the entire trailer. They have contemplated an entire range hood, but it was a matter of resources as it involves several sizes and finishes. I ordered one of the retrofit kits and will post how the install goes.

For anyone concerned with noise it should be noted that the fan design itself allows for the greater airflow with LESS noise. These are some non-scientific numbers (iPhone app) from someone who installed the kit.
· Original Fan 72 db (Ventline PH)
· SAM-1 Fan on low 58 db
· SAM-1 Fan on medium 60 db
· SAM-1 Fan on high 62 db
· Background was 48 db
Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #73

Quote:
I ordered one of the retrofit kits and will post how the install goes.
Very much looking forward to hear your evaluation of this unit. I imagine it could be built into the cabinets too, we have done that lots which fan units for homes.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Range Hood

Thank you very much for the info on the retrofit kit Dave!

I spoke to Larry for some time just a while ago. Nice guy. I went ahead and ordered the retrofit kit as well.

Looking forward to lights that actually illuminate the cooking area, better and quieter fan, and a damper I can close from inside the trailer.

Be aware that with these Heng's hoods used on Escapes (based on a Jensen design) there may be spot welds instead of screws holding the fan assembly on. No biggie. All you need is one of those rotary spot weld cutters to get it off, then attach the new fan assembly with some sheet metal screws.

http://m.harborfreight.com/3-8-eight...not%20provided

The only other issue is that since these are not Ventline hoods, you'll need to tuck the wiring inside the fan box before securing it to the the underside of the hood. No biggie either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #75

I wondered about airflow, so I sent a query to FOP. The prompt response included information about the fan's power draw (about 1.3 amps on high, half that on low), and the body of a response given to a customer in September 2015 about the airflow question:
Quote:
A year ago July I sent SAM-1 to a certified lab for UL 507 9th Edition and CSA C-22.2 #113 certification and specifically requested Performance Testing (SCFM on 12 Vdc and 14.2 Vdc, all 3 speeds) as well. I also requested db ratings (sound levels) at 2' and 6' in addition to light ratings in accordance with RV Industry LED comparison standards.

Two weeks ago I received a 94 page certification report but no Performance Information yet. The lab threatened to send results a week ago but no cigar. My hands are tied until I receive the certified numbers at zero static condition.

I believe SAM-1 is moving 600 SCFM when coaches with good batteries are plugged into shore power or running generator.
Performance at 12 Vdc will be about 15% less then converter voltage.

Hope this info helps, I don't like projecting numbers but labs are ridiculously slow (and I've dealt with these people for the best part of 30 years?).
I guess they're still waiting for lab results.

The Sphere hood mentioned earlier claims
Quote:
Air Flow: 100 cubic metres/hour
That's 60 cubic feet per minute.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I guess they're still waiting for lab results.
Larry did mention they still don't have the results, but it moves significant air at lower noise levels. I imagine moving that much air through a small outlet will certainly need to increase noise levels at the exterior though. I am actually going to use a flow hood I have available from work and measure the CFM at all three speeds with amp draw both on (14.4 V +/-) and off (12V +/-) shore power. If anyone cares enough to know I will also try to measure sound levels and maybe even light levels before and after since I have the instrumentation available.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #77

I just love it when someone else does this legwork and testing, and appreciate it too.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #78

Quote:
I am actually going to use a flow hood I have available from work and measure the CFM at all three speeds with amp draw both on (14.4 V +/-) and off (12V +/-) shore power. If anyone cares enough to know I will also try to measure sound levels and maybe even light levels before and after since I have the instrumentation available.
Great
I look forward to seeing the results of whatever you choose to measure.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #79

Found the range vent in Rob and Linda's new airstream . It is at Airstream supply . The name is Baraldi stainless steel # 512210. Cost is 311.71 . They also have our vent line 84.00 and another for about 175.00 . Not going to change my range hood . Just giving information for anyone else looking to change theirs . Pat
Old 07-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
My sentiments exactly! Replacing the dim incandescent bulb with an LED did wonders.
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote