Range hood and wedgie bulb improvement? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Range hood and wedgie bulb improvement?

I replaced the stock light in the range hood with a led bulb with a little more output. Even after bending the socket down most of the light gets lost. The Illumination is so poor that we have left the light on more than once. Has anyone come up with an good solution to improve the lighting?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Carl, I removed my stock light and installed a double fixture like the ones on the ceiling of the trailer and can illuminate half or the whole thing with the rocker switch. Off and on is still controlled by the switch on the exhaust hood. I fastened it to a small wood block then drilled through the top front and installed two stainless steels screws to mount it. Looks good and has great illumination. BTW, I purchased the fixture from Escape.

Here are some pictures:

Notice the double fixture.

Here you can see the two attachment screw heads. Notice how bright it is below with both sides illuminated.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I replaced mine with a flat panel LED lamp I ordered from China. Sorry, but the specific supplier no longer has them, although there are many, many suppliers if you do a search on ebay.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had several wedge led bulbs of varying intensities which I tried until I found the one I liked. You may have to find a bulb with 180 or 90 degree field and then position the socket to get most of the down light.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When I needed something but would not pay for new I used to browse auto junk yards for spare parts. Everything from center consoles to handles, spare jacks, belts, knobs, even muffler pipes, whatever. Once I pulled a strip of LED's off the rear of a junked Explorer. Here it is, my favorite all-night light.
Attached Thumbnails
LEDstove.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
How many mpg do you get out of that light?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
When I needed something but would not pay for new I used to browse auto junk yards for spare parts. Everything from center consoles to handles, spare jacks, belts, knobs, even muffler pipes, whatever. Once I pulled a strip of LED's off the rear of a junked Explorer. Here it is, my favorite all-night light.
Oooo..... Sexy mood lighting..... kewl.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

(MPG) Miles Per Ga-luminator ...based upon our many extended trips since its installation my estimate at this point is... forever. And, with no measurable battery taxation.
Great for worry-free, un-disturbatory late night trips, searching for pillows, forgotten meds, food, submarine watching.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Great for worry-free, un-disturbatory late night trips, searching for pillows, forgotten meds, food, submarine watching.
I killed two birds with one stone. I agree, a very low key night light is handy. I installed a cheapie digital voltmeter in the dinette area. The little glow from the display serves the same function.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #10

I'm a great fan of led lights on ebay. I know, the Chinese ones probably aren't as good etc. but I'm happy with them.

I have the factory led overhead dual lights on the ceiling. All others were non-led. I've switched them all to led.

I've ordered all sorts of different led's on ebay and they all came from China with free shipping. I mean, for a couple of bucks, how can you go wrong.

The type I used for the range hood, bathroom light etc. is shown in the range hood photo. They come with 3 adapters, one of which is the wedge type. There are other types, including all in one. I taped on of the packages to the range hood to show how they come packaged with the 3 adapters.

Photos were taken without lense cover to show details.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0227.jpg   IMGP0229.jpg   IMGP0228.jpg   IMGP0230.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In a couple of weeks, I'll be taking a friend camping. Judy has bad knees. I'm going to purchase this: Mainstays Essential True Colors Bath Accessories Collection - LED Night Light - Walmart.com in red. During the build, I had the plug moved down below the stooge table at the end of the kitchen (by door). I think this will work well and offer enough light to see by for those night time excursions. Cheap enough to try!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

This just came in the mail. Found on eBay, $5.89 for 4 each. Don't seem real bright but might be worth a try.
Attached Thumbnails
LED3.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The range hood bulb, the only non-led light in our Escape, died before we got it home from ETI. I installed a 30 led printed circuit board from Superbright LEDs, warm white. They provide a connector to plug into the existing socket. I installed the PCB with double backed foam tape. It's plenty bright and is on its third year of regular use now.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/836/
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks for the info on the light. Ours died after about six months and we haven't yet replaced it. Will check into the Superbrights. Ooops, the site says it was "discontinued" -- hopefully, just from that site.
Jan
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Myron, there is a difference in the various LEDs outputs.

I don't want to say too much, as I can't remember what the exact wording is for the brighter units. 5050? 3SMD? Would have to dig for the correct wording.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #16

Myron, having the wedge base makes for an easier install. I ordered the kind with 3 adapters, they work fine, but you have to tuck the wires in out of the way.

I don't mind if they're not as bright as the incandescent. The only ones that I want really bright are the overhead ceiling ones. Having the others a little more low key is fine with me. We use the range hood light as sort a cross between a dim night light and the regular lights. It certainly lights up the stove top.

Bulb is shown without the cover. The hanging package shows how they come with the 3 adapters. They're so dirt cheap that they're worth trying before buying more expensive ones.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0227.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
The range hood bulb, the only non-led light in our Escape, died before we got it home from ETI. I installed a 30 led printed circuit board from Superbright LEDs, warm white. They provide a connector to plug into the existing socket. I installed the PCB with double backed foam tape. It's plenty bright and is on its third year of regular use now.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/836/
Interesting since my range hood bulb did not survive the trip home from ETI either! Thank you all for the information.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I got the range hood light installed a couple of weeks back. Bought this from Amazon:

Amazon.com: N.R.G Universal Multi Base 24 LED Directional Panel Light Bulb 10-30v - 12v or 24v - 360 Lumens - Warm White: Automotive

It comes with multiple adapters including one for the wedgie bulb. I removed the existing lens. I fastened the light bulb assembly to the lens with a short piece of plastic plumbing strapping with two sheet metal screws. There is two sided tape on the back of the bulb assembly which I removed and stuck to the strap before screwing it in place. I then plugged the wedge adapter into the wedgie socket and secured with a wrap of electrical tape. Then I plugged the new bulb into the adapter and snapped the lense back into place.

Be careful with the adapter, the plug is quite fragile. I had to solder one contact back on after I accidently damaged it.

The light is quite bright, at least 10 times brighter than the old. You can actually tell it is turned on and illuminates the stove top quite well.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150410_120446359.jpg   81TUULYQfwL._SL1500_.jpg   IMG_20150410_120509821.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post

Be careful with the adapter, the plug is quite fragile. I had to solder one contact back on after I accidently damaged it.

Yes and they're not quite a good fit in the base as the all in one type. I soldered a tiny piece of brass shim stock to each contact to make a better contact.

Ron
Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Hi CArl,

do you think that one will fit in the exterior fittings? Looking for replacement for those.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote