Rear Storage Tube - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Rear Storage Tube

I have 3 lengths of aluminum tube; one for my solar panel and 2 for my King Jack antenna, that I normally carry in the back of the truck. The guys next door, building a swimming pool, were throwing out some 4" PVC tube so.......

There's space along the back of trailer that the tube can fit without taking away or being in the way of anything else. I used the maximum length that would fit the space without projecting past the trailer sides.

I made a lock pin just so I could put a token small padlock on it. I put a handle on it to make it easy to open. Had some old 50's cabinet door handles that I never got around to throwing out. Since they're probably mostly zinc and won't rust, I cut one down and it fit the end cap perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0040_resize.JPG   IMGP0035_resize.JPG   IMGP0037_resize.JPG   IMGP0042_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

I held the tube on with pipe strapping to the rear frame. Shouldn't go anywhere anytime soon. Only mod on the trailer that I had to do was put a small bend in the license plate so the tube could go behind it.

The finished product seems to blend right in. I'm happy to have the loose tubes out of the back of the truck.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0041_resize.JPG   IMGP0043_resize.JPG  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Nice ideas, Ron.
I'm just sitting here getting ready to order a Jefatech wifi amp, so you've given me an antenna solution before I had considered the problem. Thanks.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Oh boy....I like that antenna holder. Great design.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have 3 lengths of aluminum tube; one for my solar panel and 2 for my King Jack antenna, that I normally carry in the back of the truck. The guys next door, building a swimming pool, were throwing out some 4" PVC tube so.......

There's space along the back of trailer that the tube can fit without taking away or being in the way of anything else. I used the maximum length that would fit the space without projecting past the trailer sides.

I made a lock pin just so I could put a token small padlock on it. I put a handle on it to make it easy to open. Had some old 50's cabinet door handles that I never got around to throwing out. Since they're probably mostly zinc and won't rust, I cut one down and it fit the end cap perfectly.
What's a swimming pool? Winter's been so long I forgot. -20 or worse tonight. Sun's out now and pleasant so I am amusing myself mapping out the driveway for truck and 19. They should fit.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpins View Post
so I am amusing myself mapping out the driveway for truck and 19. They should fit.
Oh man, that can be dangerous. Mine ~just~ fit so I ended up ripping up a perfectly good exposed aggregate driveway and putting in a wider one.

Ron
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mod man, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Mule01a.jpg  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Ron-

I know you've mentioned it in another thread, but please remind me what that white plastic box on the bumper is for.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

I have my signal strength meter and power supply for the antenna in it. The theory is that I can stand there, rotate the antenna and watch the signal strength meter.

Despite my first meter being a dud that should still be the plan.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0023_resize.jpg   IMGP0022_resize.jpg  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #10

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

what this camper really likes about your mods, is how you take stuff that's just laying around and make something useful with it, and in most cases the solution is better than some pre-manufactured stuff!
Please remind this camper how long your aluminum tubes are and the pvc storage pipe you put them in.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I planned to put my solar controller in a watertight box like that, but I'm concerned about heat build up. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I planned to put my solar controller in a watertight box like that, but I'm concerned about heat build up. Thoughts?
I'm thinking that Ron's meter doesn't dissipate any significant heat, and neither would a simple on-off controller, but a PWM or MPPT controller could. What does the controller's manual say?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm thinking that Ron's meter doesn't dissipate any significant heat, and neither would a simple on-off controller, but a PWM or MPPT controller could. What does the controller's manual say?
Have to locate the manual. Should be in my folder. It's a cheap Coleman 7amp controller. Easiest thing to do would be lay it on top of the battery, under the battery box lid, but I gather that's not recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar setup.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Hi Ron,
I think I will wait until I return before doing any driveway digging and thank you for the great and detailed photos.
JP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Have to locate the manual. Should be in my folder. It's a cheap Coleman 7amp controller. Easiest thing to do would be lay it on top of the battery, under the battery box lid, but I gather that's not recommended.
Brians right, I wouldn't worry about heat from it. There's quite a difference between it and a controller for many more amps. I have one of those and when I was using it I didn't notice any heat. I'd say put it pretty much anywhere convenient.

Ron
Old 03-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
what this camper really likes about your mods, is how you take stuff that's just laying around and make something useful with it, and in most cases the solution is better than some pre-manufactured stuff!
Please remind this camper how long your aluminum tubes are and the pvc storage pipe you put them in.
"take stuff" Yah, it started when I was a kid after school. I'd make a detour and go by the local dump and drag home an old vacuum cleaner etc. I'd take things apart to see how they work and if I could fix them. After a while I had a bit of misc. stuff that sometimes was handy for other projects.

I have to say, if I wasn't heading for rough roads in Baja I would have gone with Mike's solution. The antenna permanently mounted on a telescoping pole. It's a more convenient solution.

But, seeing as I already have the mast for the tilting and swiveling solar panel, having the 3 tubes to store isn't a problem. To get the antenna free and clear of the roof I went with a 112" total length in 2 pieces. The solar panel mast is only 64" but I made the storage tube the maximum it could be so it's 74". So it could be shorter, but who knows the 10" space might be handy for something else.

Ron
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It's a cheap Coleman 7amp controller.
I believe that have one of those, under another brand. If it's what I think it is, it just switches on at a low threshold voltage and off at at higher voltage, so not only is a low-current device, but it is just an electronic relay and would dissipate very little heat. I would try it in a box like Ron's.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #18

Thank you.
If it ever stops raining, I'll work on it.