Refrigerator organization - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
Refrigerator organization

Hi all,
We have the large fridge in our 19’. At the bottom of the fridge is a drawer which I initially thought was a crisper but quickly discovered wasn’t! Does anyone have suggestions for how to store fresh vegetables? Mine look pretty sad after a day or so. Any specific container suggestions appreciated or any fridge organization ideas! Thanks!
Karen and Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Is your refrigerator keeping its temperature? We had no problems with keeping things pretty fresh in our 19's refrigerator. I used the bottom drawer for meats and kept my veggies in the main compartment (and when we camped, I purchased food for just about the entire trip ... despite the refrigerator instructions telling me not to).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
The fridge keeps food cold but I wind up with limp carrots, lettuce, etc.
Karen and Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm thinking along the lines of what Jan asked. If it's keeping temperature OK (say 38F or so) then veggies should be fine. We store ours in perforated plastic bags on the bottom shelf, not in the drawer. We use the drawer for meat and cheese.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Leon View Post
Hi all,
We have the large fridge in our 19’. At the bottom of the fridge is a drawer which I initially thought was a crisper but quickly discovered wasn’t! Does anyone have suggestions for how to store fresh vegetables? Mine look pretty sad after a day or so. Any specific container suggestions appreciated or any fridge organization ideas! Thanks!
Rubbermaid freshworks produce storage containers
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I remember when Reace and Tammy attended the Oregon Gathering and an Escape owner was complaining about the refrigerator not keeping food cool. When they opened the refrigerator door, a LOT of the food was in solid containers... like condiments, etc. Reace told them to take all the food out of the storage containers. The food needs air space to cool and storage containers are confining.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I remember when Reace and Tammy attended the Oregon Gathering and an Escape owner was complaining about the refrigerator not keeping food cool. When they opened the refrigerator door, a LOT of the food was in solid containers... like condiments, etc. Reace told them to take all the food out of the storage containers. The food needs air space to cool and storage containers are confining.
A number of campers ago, we were either freezing our veggies/eggs or having the fridge too warm and watching the veggies go bad quickly. Once we purchased a small fridge fan to move a small amount of air those days were over. We also do not use Tupperware type containers and he veggies stay fresh much longer.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Leon View Post
Hi all,
I have a house boat on a lake where it hits 100 degrees often....I use the Rubbermaid freshworks for produce in two dometic fridges on the boat. I also use them in our Escape. They work. Produce stays fresh and the fridge is cold. Real life actual experience! PM me if you have any questions! I'd be happy to help. Think I got them at bed bath and beyond...
Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
I have a house boat on a lake where it hits 100 degrees often....I use the Rubbermaid freshworks for produce in two dometic fridges on the boat. I also use them in our Escape. They work. Produce stays fresh and the fridge is cold. Real life actual experience! PM me if you have any questions! I'd be happy to help. Think I got them at bed bath and beyond...
Oh, I like that. Never liked the round versions since they would waste valuable space, but these are square! We'll be purchasing at least one soon.

Thanks!

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Oh, I like that. Never liked the round versions since they would waste valuable space, but these are square! We'll be purchasing at least one soon.

Thanks!

Perry
Also have a small fan in the fridge for when it's hot out side
Old 07-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a fan as well as the plastic panels that keep the cold in...works for me...according to my Accurite sensors...
Old 07-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Thanks!

Perry
Also have a small fan in the fridge for when it's hot out side
Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Suggestions for colder food in fridge

I have a 17B with the 3CF fridge. It has not kept food cold very well but we have been traveling in 36-40°C/96-104° temps day time for a couple past weeks.
Would using plastic bags work well to keep the air circulating around the food? I was using glass storage containers as I brought prepared food.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post
I have a 17B with the 3CF fridge. It has not kept food cold very well but we have been traveling in 36-40°C/96-104° temps day time for a couple past weeks.
Would using plastic bags work well to keep the air circulating around the food? I was using glass storage containers as I brought prepared food.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have a 2015 17A with a 3 cu.ft. frig. We frequently travel across the Mohave Desert w/100°+ temperatures, and have had no problem. We always run it on propane, at #4 setting. We tend to have the freezer 3/4 full, and the frig. filled as well, so there is a lot of cold thermal mass in there to help maintain temps. Meats are in the back, lettuce is in the front.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
make sure you leave some room in the fridge for air flow. filling it with things in oversized plastic bags tends to block the airflow. I try and leave space along the back from top to bottom, and not let anything press up against the heat exchange fins...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We put like items in small plastic bins. Need lunch? Grab the bin that has butter, cheese, salami. The faster you can get in and out of the fridge, the colder it will remain.
We freeze chicken halves, steaks and such at home. What's for supper can be moved to the fridge in the morning to thaw and help keep the fridge cold.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
make sure you leave some room in the fridge for air flow. filling it with things in oversized plastic bags tends to block the airflow. I try and leave space along the back from top to bottom, and not let anything press up against the heat exchange fins...

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote