reinforced walls - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
reinforced walls

working on final build sheet 5.0 TA
wondering how many choose to add this option increasing trailer weight and cost?
pro or con?
thanks
SJESCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had some reinforced, this was before anyone found out you could bring all your extras with you to pickup and ETI would install them for you. As that wasn't an option I had walls reinforced for folding shelves at the dinette, and the wall along the stairs in the 5.0TA for Umbra hooks and a future handrail, when and if we get old.

With the trucks weight limits I wasn't worried about extra weight, nor was the $ much of a concern. YMMV
Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We had several walls reinforced. Basically, if I thought I might want to attach anything heavier than a couple pounds, and with other than a 3M Command attachment, we had that particular wall reinforced. We did four that way.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Just remember that each reinforced wall adds about 25 lbs. Doesn’t sound like much when you do one. Do four walls and it is equivalent to another A/C unit on the roof. You may have the tow vehicle capacity but sometimes I think we lose sight of the fact that these are supposed to be lightweight trailers where decent fuel economy is part of the appeal.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and I found, after 4 Escapes that reinforcing all the walls was not needed because all have corner studs as well as supports so it was just a matter to finding the corner or supports for anything heavy. I went from 4 down to 1 in my current model.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I had both dinette walls and both loft walls reinforced during Ten Forward's build. I didn't know what or IF I was ever going to add something like a magazine rack, television mount, spice rack, etc. What I did know, is I want stuff where I want it. I didn't want to worry about finding bracing. It may be a couple of inches too low or too high. Adding the reinforcing gives me what I need/want.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: none
Are reinforced walls an option on the build sheets?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

I was going to reinforce those walls also, but instead elected ETI to install 2 pop up tables there, I figure they will have to install bracing ahead of time for the tables and the corners are always braced, so that should solve my dilemma.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Are reinforced walls an option on the build sheets?
If you go to their website they have diagrams of the standard locations for everything.....
Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Another option to mount stuff if you don’t have or get reinforced walls, but find you want/need to mount something where there isn’t framing, is to fabricate a backer board that you attach your widget to, then attach the backer to the framing. I’ve done this in a few places out of 1/4” thick oak, stained to match the interior, once for a knife rack, once for a spice rack, and once for a Caframo fan.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I think we had four walls reinforced and that was overkill but with us it’s good to know that we don’t have to worry about placement. I don’t think they were 25 pounds each however. Is that really the case? I remember discussing it with Escape and it didn’t seem like we were adding that much weight?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #12

This option will also work in some models where you have access to the inside of the wall, like on the 21 closet wall, you can mount an inside backer board for support.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had both dinette walls and both loft walls reinforced during Ten Forward's build. I didn't know what or IF I was ever going to add something like a magazine rack, television mount, spice rack, etc. What I did know, is I want stuff where I want it. I didn't want to worry about finding bracing. It may be a couple of inches too low or too high. Adding the reinforcing gives me what I need/want.
Did same here and same reasoning . Back in 2013 when we asked to add the extra reinforcement in walls really don't think it added much weight to trailer and very glad we did .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I don’t think they were 25 pounds each however. Is that really the case? I remember discussing it with Escape and it didn’t seem like we were adding that much weight?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post175070

See the diagram in this post for quoted weights for reinforced walls in a 21
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had the walls reinforced on our 19' and, when we picked it up, I remember Tammy saying that people were rather rabid about reinforcing the walls when, in reality, there were enough studs to handle most everything. Thought about it and could see where she was right -- you just have to find the studs and realize you might be limited to where you hang things. (And we never hung anything in our old trailer that didn't have a stud behind it.) For this build, we aren't reinforcing any walls. We shall see how that works out.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Did same here and same reasoning . Back in 2013 when we asked to add the extra reinforcement in walls really don't think it added much weight to trailer and very glad we did .Pat
It seemed back when we ordered it was something new thy would do if asked . The extra ply only went down 1/2 way . I have noticed since it is a much bigger ply . So why ours isn't very heavy . Just for us really glad we could get it done . Pat
Old 07-23-2018, 06:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We had the walls reinforced on our 19' and, when we picked it up, I remember Tammy saying that people were rather rabid about reinforcing the walls when, in reality, there were enough studs to handle most everything. Thought about it and could see where she was right -- you just have to find the studs and realize you might be limited to where you hang things. (And we never hung anything in our old trailer that didn't have a stud behind it.) For this build, we aren't reinforcing any walls. We shall see how that works out.
In talking with Reace, he said pretty much the same thing, that folks were getting carried away with wall reinforcing in many cases.

I did not do any in my 5.0TA, though did add a wee block beside the fridge for on of the bolts for a TV mount there. I put one in the loft, along with hooks on the bath wall using the existing framing for support. Not only do all the corners have 1x2 framing, there is some mid span as well on larger walls.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #18

Still happy with the extra ply . After the 1994 Earthquake we had a lot of damage to our home ,was recommended to put shear walls on the house . We did ,3/8 in ply on the whole house with Simpson brackets to strengthen the walls . So I like the extra ply on the trailer . Pat
Old 07-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #19

Trailer: none
What are the studs made from?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
What are the studs made from?
Hi: Hilola... Probably BC Spruce or pine covered with luan mahogany. A lot more than just skin and bones!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote